Your ideal project tote

So many good ideas!

I really want to make a project bag that doesn't look like a project bag so I can carry it around as a shoulder bag as well. I hate even carrying the small bag I normally have so having 2 bags hanging off me would drive me bonkers. I still kind of like the idea of a drawstring lining but I'll have to think about it. I don't want to go too over the top or I'll go OCD on details and never finish it. It's really easy for me to over-engineer on a sewing project.

As far as using eyelets or grommets for yarn feeds, I don't like that idea because there's no way to get the yarn and the project back through unless you're ready to cut the yarn. The Swift bag uses a nylon strap with a button on it but I think it looks kind of cheap. I think i"ll see what they've got at the craft store but my initial thought is one of those carabineer hooks like they use for climbing (but small), then it can also be used for other things like car keys when not being used for yarn.

I think I'll make a mock up on the computer this weekend. Too bad it's not as easy to distribute sewing patterns as it is for crochet patterns. :P

I crocheted me a tote for my take along projects. Since I work with thread I didn't need it huge. I used thread as I didn't like the fuzz I was getting off the tote I had been using that was made out of yarn. It is lined and has one pocket in to keep my clippers and pencil. I use a nail clipper while out and about to cut my threads as it can't poke through anything like scissors. It looks nice enough that people often mistake it for my purse. It is large enough to hold my project, my cell phone and my wallet. What more does anyone need. The nicest compliment I ever got on it was my mother asking for one like it for Christmas, and she doesn't even crochet.

For larger totes, and to store smaller WIPs I use those plastic zippered bags you get when you buy curtains or bed ruffles, & sometimes pillow cases come in them. The big blanket/comforter ones are great for storing yarn stash - you can see through it, stuff it under something & keep the dust bunnies out!!

Oh, man, don't you just love those things!!! I use them all the time. In fact, I have one comforter sized one sitting next to me that holds all my misc yarn. It's easy to squish it around to see what's in there.

As for toting projects around. I just use those free bags you tend to get with makeup or book purchases. I have several I picked up at a career fair. If you live somewhere that has a big "market" type street (ie. Chinatown), like San Francisco or New York, you can pick up one of those giant tote bags for a few bucks and they usually have a simple little pocket on the outside and zip or snap up on the top.

I don't make my own totes, because the yarn it takes to make a tote is just to heavy to be lugging around more stuff in, especially as the project gets bigger. Also, if you're going to be carrying around hooks, the bag will either have to be lined or you'll need a smaller carry pouch to put inside it so the hooks don't fall through the stitches.

Check out your local thrift stores. You can often pickup a totebag, backpack or other suitable item to use for your crocheting at a very small cost. I've gotten a couple backpacks that I use for mine.

Two things. First - I like the idea of the clear plastic containers to hold the yarn/thread and run through the hole however, found out the hard way, once you thread through the hole your stuck. You can't take the yarn/thread out of the container until it's gone or you cut it. So being a cheapskate and not wanting to spend $8.00. I took a large plastic coffee can with a plastic lid and cut a u shaped opening in the side. This way I can put my thread/yarn in, put the lid on and run it through the opening I cut. This way my thread can jump around, not get full of dog hair but I can still take it out.

The tote I use is a free bag my MIL gave me that she got from a book club order. I keep my notebook of patterns, my hook case, and a small zipper pouch that has safety pins, my little posty things, needles for weaving in ends and such. Inside my hook case I keep a small pair of embroidery scissors and my crochted needle case also for weaving in ends. It works for me, it is not zippered but does have a snap in the middle.

If I was going a long distance, I have another larger tote with a zip close top I would just transfer everything to. This is large enough for my wallet etc, like Katchkan does.

You can also use a smaller one pound coffee can in plastic for the smaller threads if you don't want the big one.

TLOL,

Toni

A few ideas..

The 8 pocket tote mentioned upthread has a CAL...do a search and you can see all the nice totes that were made. I haven't made one yet myself but intend to someday.

The market bags they sell at Joann's for $1.00 are pretty plain and generic but they are HUGE. Lots bigger than the ones you get at the grocery store. I bought one this weekend and was surprised at how much it holds.

Diaper bags make great yarn totes. Lots of pockets and some of them look like large purses. Babiesrus has a nice selection, some of them look really nice.

I really like using the re-usable grocery store bags that you can get that are made from mostly recycled plastic. They work great and are very sturdy. I keep my darning needles, hook, scissors and tape measure in a crocheted sock/pouch that I made, so that they don't get lost. Also, since the bags come in two sizes, you can choose a small one for smaller projects and a larger one to hold things like afghans, etc. Plus, they are not expensive, and can be used for lots of other things.

The market bags they sell at Joann's for $1.00 are pretty plain and generic but they are HUGE. Lots bigger than the ones you get at the grocery store. I bought one this weekend and was surprised at how much it holds.

Yep, the Joanns bags are the best out there I think :yes I own about a dozen of them :lol But my favorite is a huge freebie canvas tote that I got at Books-a-Million for joining their little card club or whatever it's called. It is heavy duty, zippered and has pockets. Went to renew the other day and the tote bag they're giving out this year is awful :(

I just recently bought a bag (It was on sale of course!) at Victoria's Secret of all places. It is huge! It is made out of nylon, but it has cloth handles that are very sturdy. I'm so glad I got it because my afghan was getting too big for my other bag.

I have several plain cheap tote bags but my favorite thing is I think a purse I got at the goodwill store. Medium sized, shorter than a regular tote, wide open at the top with pockets inside and a zippered pouch attached with a tether. I think it cost a dollar.

Well out of all the totes that I love the most is one I got at a garage sale.

It is black , has plastic pockets, three pockets to hold individual skeins of yarn, they come out of eyelets at the top, and it has a huge inside.

All this for 20 cents!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh and there are zippered pockets too.

There is a name for it but I cant think of what it is.

I think it may be a eagle brand like tote.

Then there are the grovery totes, and I have a huge purpler plastic one with a top for carrying all of your things in it.

One can never have enough totes, right???

Teapot:cheer:manyheart:yarn

I'm trying to decide whether I want to make or buy a tote for carrying my projects around with me. I'm kind of wanting something small that I can carry around one ball of yarn, a hook, and scissors but I'm open to something bigger for traveling as well.

Since I'm still a relative crochet newbie I don't want to overlook some necessity only to find out after it's too late. So here's my question: If you have a tote what is it and what do you like/dislike about it? If you don't have one, what would you like to see in a tote?

At Target last week, I found these cute little flexible shower caddies, in the dollar bin! They are big enough for 2 or 3 skeins of yarn (depending on how big the skeins are, mine are mostly Vanna's) and my hook case, plus a few little extras that I need to carry around, like sippy cups and wipes. They do have holes, but I keep all of my hooks/accessories in an eyeglass case I found at Michael's so that was no problem for me. I actually bought 4- now I have one in my bedroom, living room, and car, and also have one to use as a gift. LoL

Archived