Pattern frustration (rant) - Update Post #10

I recently saw something similar happen to Debbi-1a in a CAL I opened and now it's my turn.

Sometime ago my younger sister mentioned she'd like to have a crocheted poncho and I offered to make her one for Christmas. I then looked online for ponchos I liked and sent her the links so she'd make the choice. Her #1 was Drops Nostalgic Poncho.

I soon realized I shouldn't have sent her that link because I really had not bothered to read the entire pattern and, 1) totally missed that it's made with 2 yarns together and I had purchased Bernat Coordinates in White for this. But determined as I can be sometimes I figured if I followed the instructions for the XL size (she's probably between a S and a M) it might work and I could always try it on my daughter as I went along.

2) As I read along I notice it's in UK terms. I say to myself "no problem, I'll just copy/paste into a document and use the "find and replace" feature to substitute the appropriate US terms". I immediately started to do that and that's when 3) I noticed that after a few rows the instructions are no longer given that way, one must follow a "diagram" (but didn't pay much attention to the way it looked...). Again I say to myself "no problem, let's give it a try". Since I don't have a working printer and needed to start right away I thought I'd 'translate' the diagram into instructions by rows and that's when I realized 4) the symbols are NOT the international ones many of us have seen before. There were some meager explanation so, determined as I was, I wrote my best interpretation of it and started stitching away.

Almost right away I had the feeling something was wrong because 5) the collar part (where it starts) began "ruffling" on me. I reread the 'original' instructions to see what I'd missed but I'd done what they asked so I figured maybe when I added the 'pattern rows' from the diagram it would take the proper shape (sort of like some doilys do). But no matter what, 6) I couldn't make the 1st row of that part work with the number of stitches I had. Again, I go back to the diagram and puzzled just decide to frog that row and adjust the count by one stitch but nothing! :bang I then counted all the stitches in the row and the count was not anywhere close to what they give. :thair

At first I thought I'd start over but after unraveling 11 rows (12 really, counting the failed try) I noticed this pattern had been translated from another language and probably not very carefully so I suspects there are mistakes in it. In any case, I'm only used to American standard pattern instructions (which is funny since I'm Latin, but I feel the way most Spanish patterns are written suck!). So I'd have to figure the WHOLE thing myself and I neither have the time, patience or skill for that. :2nono I know crochet designs are just mathematical tessellations but it just happens that other than doing 'basic/daily practical math' I don't care much for it. With proper effort I might be able to figure it out but the truth is that in this case it makes more sense to move on to an easier project.

Still, I HATE having to give up even though I know my sister will be happy with one of the others. I've told myself it's my wounded ego, that I don't like having to admit I'm not good enough to figure this out quickly to make it work but I know with as little time as I have I'd be crazy to waste any more on this poncho. I guess I just need to hear from others that have been through the same so I can feel better...:blush

:cheerI would not touch one of those patterns with a barge pole, as the saying goes.

They are translated into English from a Scandinavian language and while they are often very nice garments, they would have you tearing your hair out before you are done.

I know that some people do manage to do them, the proof of that is in the pictures, but I think life is far too short to be messing about with complicated patterns, so i give them a miss.

There is a million other Poncho patterns out there, well maybe not a million but at least 9999999.

(My mother did tell me, millions of times, not to exagerate.)

Send your sister the Lion Brand link or Crochet Pattern Central.

She should find something she likes among those.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

A Scandinavian language! That's what I thought because I once briefly corresponded with a guy from Iceland, another from Sweden and I think one from Norway. Thanks for telling me, I already feel better!

Upon re-reading my sister's reply she actually mentioned this one first ("in lighter colors", and the Drops second. I think I made the decision on the yarn I'd already bought because I couldn't spend on more. I also figured that a white one could be worn with everything and give her more chances to wear it since the "cool" season where she lives is very brief. Now I'm a little stumped because in one color I like this design better, it's done in #3 thread but it could work since baby yarn is only slightly thicker, what do you think?

:cheerWell, the Coates one would be easy to do because it is just 2 rectangles which are joined to form the poncho shape.

You could use any yarn, as long as you use the correct hook, and just work to the dimensions, thus creating your very own Poncho.

I just pick my favourite stitch for the main pieces then add a pretty scallop to the lower edge after I have joined the pieces.

Let me know if you need any help.

Have fun.

Thank you for the fast reply! Everything seems to indicate I should go for the one you mention, after I began reading the pattern of the other one I noticed some of the yarn is bulky and the hook very large so adjusting to thread probably wouldn't work, too bad because I began to think I could use other shades of baby yarn I have for the stripes and she could still use it pretty often...

I've never made a poncho before and until recently the concept of how to join two panels eluded me, then I found a site that explained it pretty well so I feel ready to try this out. And I already can't wait to see how it works out because like you say in the future I could choose any stitch combinations I like. :tup

And thanks for offering help, I may need it so it's good to 'know' someone experienced in making ponchos. :D In any event, after I do get started on this I'll pop back around here and let you know how it's going, OK? Bye for now!

Raquel

I have no problem admitting I don't understand any of the Drops patterns! I've read thru a few and although they are beautiful, I'd be tearing my hair out trying to figure things out. Whatever you make will be gorgeous I'm sure. :hook

Thank you both! Yes, I can be a little too "determined" (the positive word for stubborn...) for my own good. That infamous Drop poncho is history now... but I almost repeated the mistake. My alternative patterns are both made in different yarns than what I need to use so the gauge would be all wrong. This wouldn't be such a challenge if I knew what the "standard" measurements for the 2 panel ponchos are. Not too long ago I found a website that explained it all and I thought I had bookmarked it but to my dismay I didn't. And my bad luck doesn't end there, last week I checked a book out of the library called "Fabulous Crocheted Ponchos" but not a single one was to my liking, most are huge, bulky and asymmetrical and I just want a "normal" one. I guess I'm going to have to start looking at the endless list of ponchos (most of which I didn't like...) at Crochet Pattern Central...

After checking most of the adult ponchos at CPC I didn't see any other that was appropriate for a warmer climate so I decided I had to make the Coats & Clark "String Poncho" work. I knew the gauge would be off by almost a 1/2" but since I didn't know how many repetitions there would be I figured that if the rectangle came out wider it could in fact be a good thing so the shawl would be a little longer without the neck opening being too wide. So I went ahead with the Bernat baby yarn with an F hook (pretty hard...) and when I was beginning the 4th row decided to measure it. It was too wide but I got the idea of marking a foundation chain where the length was almost right and a pattern 'motif' was complete and then frogged down to it and counted the chains. I then decided to use an H hook so I started the chain over and... VOILA! :cheer So far I've only completed one pattern repeat but it's looking very pretty so I think my sister is going to like it a lot. :D Don't think I ever want to work with this yarn though, it splits like crazy!

• 2 weeks later...

I finished the String Poncho! :clap I actually finished it about 4 days ago, the first panel took me longer in part because I didn't work on it for a couple of days but I was done with the second in two days, the easy sequence of rows had become second nature to me by then. I'd never joined pieces before and had been a bit aprehensive about it but it was very easy and now I feel ready to make other wearables. If you like you can see it here.

...make her a potholder... :) Just Kidding.

:lolYou bet I'm keeping that in mind for next year!

That turned out beautiful. Great job.

Marcia

Thank you Marcia!

Your poncho is beautiful. I'm sure your sister will love it.

That said- I will not ever use a Drops pattern. I tried one and it was so far off after the first few rows that I just frogged and tossed the pattern. They are very pretty, but definitely not translated correctly.

:cheerYou have ended up with a beautiful Poncho so if your sister does not want it, feel free to ask me for my address:lol:lol:lol

The stitch is very pretty and looks very effective in the Baby yarn.

Have fun.

Thanks Darski! I saw hers but they're "bell" shaped and my sister wanted a traditional "triangular one; the Drops was an exception because it's open, really more of a cape but if anyone else wants another poncho in the future I'll keep those in mind.

I had to "wing it" on this very poncho as well, without the correct yarn and working off the diagrams I still Had to improvise........had a similar problem with a lacy tunic.

Now I just stay clear of this site entirely!:eek

Well, it's been good to find out it wasn't just me. I saw on "Show-And-Tell" that someone actually made something from that site so maybe some things are safe, if I ever like anything from there enough to want to make it I'll be sure to read the whole pattern first!

I don't know if the Drops-site is Norwegian, bur we do have Drops-stores here in Norway, they sell the yarn for the patterns and stuff. I'm Norwegian (obiously), and I have tried to use these patterns before.. I think they are written very difficult! It's not just the translation, I think...? I remember when I found out that I could try a pattern on english (because there isn't a lot of norwegian patterns out there, Drops is kind of it...), and the feeling I got..! *she's got the whole world in her hand* :P I really think patterns are written MUCH better in other places, and I love the american/english ones.

(Everytime I don't get it in one of the patterns at Drops I check out what it would say in american terms, and sometimes THEN I get it. ;))

With that said: great poncho! :D

Thank you Aphelia! I checked the "Contact Us" page of the website and the address under Head Office is in Oslo, so I guess that makes it Norwegian.:lol I feel even better now that you've said you also find them hard to interpret, and I agree with you about American/English patterns, I speak Spanish and at first tried to find patterns in Spanish and some are OK but others, forget it! Not only they're not explained clearly but depending of which country the pattern was designed the words for the stitches are different, sometimes it's been easy for me to identify them others not. I've only saved a few in my PC and some have diagrams in international symbols, I'm hoping maybe one day I'll have the patience to try to follow those...

Archived