Need ideas for a gift

My daughter is graduating from college in May, and I'd like to make her something special. I don't know what that might be, so I would like suggestions.

I have a few months, so it could be something big, such as an afghan (design ideas??), I just need some suggestions!

Any and all ideas are welcome! :hook TIA!

Congrats to you and your daughter. :cheer. What about a nice filet piece that she could frame with her graduation date on it? Or you could do an afghan and cross stitch her graduation date on it, or an afghan that you could make up a special area in the corner for her graduation date.

A wild idea but an afghan made from blocks that all have some sort of school and/or learning theme to them, kind of like a memory quilt only done in crochet. You could do a seperate block for each year of school from kindergarten forward. Am I making sense here? I can picture it in my head. One block with an apple on it for the teacher, another with a graduation cap, one block with books etc, etc, etc.

Hope this helps,

TLOL,

Toni

SOMEWHERE (lionbrand? I think in a Vanna book) I saw a pattern for a "Walk of Fame" afghan. It is a red background/ black boarder with a giant gold star in the middle - as in hollywood blvd walk of fame! Add her name and date to the star for graduation.

And Congratulations to YOU for getting your daughter through to this wonderful achievement!

Oh, I like both of these ideas! I bookmarked the "walk of fame" afghan...I could use her school colors for the background, couldn't I?? Putting her name on might be tricky for me...how would you do that? :think

My DD just graduated and I would have made her an afghan but I just made her one she requested the previous year. Now she's getting her own place so I may make her one to match her couch. She was not into school spirit so I never tried to duplicate the school colors. But my friend's DD wanted one in school colors which are red and black. She wanted squares so it looks like a giant checkerboard!

Are you afraid of thread or wire? If not, how about making her a hair scrunchy or bracelet or necklace she could wear during the graduation ceremony? That way, you're right there, processing with her to get the diploma (which is very exciting).

Afraid of thread? Me? :lol I actually PREFER crocheting with thread!

I like the idea of a bracelet or something...any suggestions?

Afraid of thread? Me? :lol I actually PREFER crocheting with thread!

I like the idea of a bracelet or something...any suggestions?

Hmm, I have a lace book at home that has lots of ideas for flowers and things you could probably tweak into a pretty bracelet. But I think any small flower with a thin vine and leaves would make a lovely bracelet. My undergrad college did not allow us to carry flowers, so this would be a way of giving her a bouquet or corsage to wear.

Since you prefer thread, maybe you could make her a special photo album cover? You could pick up one of those "slip-in" type hardcover albums ($ store, maybe). Then you take the measurement of the book front to back, add a few inches for front and back "pockets" (to slide the covers in), and those are the dimensions you need. Or you can make a basic cover with fabric in her favorite color (use that no-sew glue :P) and the make a lacy type thread cover to attach to the fabric cover. (kinda pre-making the liner and attaching the "real" cover is what I'm trying to think of here) Then she can use the album for pictures of her friends, of grad, etc.

Done in color, I don't think it'd look too "wedding-ish".

Or what about a keepsake bouquet of flowers. There's some lovely thread or yarn patterns...something she could keep, doesn't have school-spirit colors (which she might get sick of) and bring positive memories.

The afghan ideas are nice too.

Just my:2c...HTH

Oh, I love the photo album idea! Yea, momcrochets! And I have several books that have patterns for filet photo mats, you could make one for yourself of your daughter in her gown (my mom still has that graduation photo of me with bad 1980s hair on her mantle).

And the kitchen stuff for her dorm room/apt would be great when it's time to go to school.

patty

Being a college student right now, things for her own place like an afghan or kitchen stuff would be good, also "work clothes." A lot of times, the newly graduated just don't have an adequate quantity of clothes appropriate for their chosen career, and it can be very difficult to purchase them before starting work. A professional looking shell, jacket, etc. depending on where she will be living and working.

I made an afghan for my sister's high school graduation last year. I made a kittens in a row in navy, light blue, and white which are her college colors, but also her favorite colors and the colors of her room. So if she switches colleges or whatever it will still look nice. I wouldn't have wanted a blue/yellow afghan in my college colors, but people would have been safe with a purple or something I liked.

I second the professional outfit suggestion too even though it isn't crocheted. I only had three days worth of clothes when I started my internships, and we were required to do six months full time in order to get my degree. It was really tough buying things to wear with little money coming in.

I love the ideas of either an afghan stitch 'walk of fame' wall hanging with blocks representing all her years in school, or a picture album cover with pictures of her from babyhood through college. Things that commemorate her years getting to the point where she is would be amazing. Maybe you can drop hints to other folks that she needs clothes to get out into the world of the working folks, but from her mother, she needs something extra special that will outlast outfits that she can work in. JMHO

I love the ideas of either an afghan stitch 'walk of fame' wall hanging with blocks representing all her years in school, or a picture album cover with pictures of her from babyhood through college. Things that commemorate her years getting to the point where she is would be amazing. Maybe you can drop hints to other folks that she needs clothes to get out into the world of the working folks, but from her mother, she needs something extra special that will outlast outfits that she can work in. JMHO

I agree. I think I will do the "walk of fame" afghan...that's a wonderful idea, and I think I may change the colors to be her college colors: navy, white, and a touch of green. :) The star, of course, will still be yellow or gold.

Archived