help help help!!!

hi to all. :cheer

i have entered into a crochet swap which sounds like alot of fun. :lol my partner is Jewish and celebrates hannukah. can anyone help me wth some appropriate gft ideas?? she is a needleworker, and enjoys yarn, but as a christian, i wanted to get her something to help her celebrate her special time in her jewish calendar. i live in a very rural area, and really have no exposure to this faith. :think any help is very appreciated!!!

thanks

Hanukkah is a festive family occasion, with special foods and songs. Children generally receive small gifts or money, known as Hanukkah gelt (money), each evening after the candles are lit. Foods fried in oil, such as latkes (potato pancakes) and doughnuts, commemorate the miracle of the oil. Sweet foods also are popular, and children may receive chocolate coins in place of Hanukkah gelt.Children sometimes play games with a spinning top called a dreidel during the eight days of the festival http://crochetbyfaye.blogspot.com/2007/12/dreidel-softie.html

So found this pattern for a dreidel

thanks everyone!!:bow

great ideas and thanks for the info on the holiday. i do thread, (all kinds of crochet, really) and you all had great ideas-- i think i can work a few up before december.

i really do appreicate your help -- this forum is fantastic............karen

hi to all. :cheer

i have entered into a crochet swap which sounds like alot of fun. :lol my partner is Jewish and celebrates hannukah. can anyone help me wth some appropriate gft ideas?? she is a needleworker, and enjoys yarn, but as a christian, i wanted to get her something to help her celebrate her special time in her jewish calendar. i live in a very rural area, and really have no exposure to this faith. :think any help is very appreciated!!! thanks

That's very thoughtful of you to want to honor your swap partner's celebration. Maybe this link on the holiday will help you make some choices:

Chanukkah (click)

About.com has free cross stitch patterns of Jewish symbols. http://www.chadiscrafts.com/fun/jewishcrafts.html here is a link to some patterns. http://www.annthegran.com/FreeDesigns.aspx here is another link. I hope this can also help you. You can try googling free Chanukah patterns and see what come up. There are some patterns on the web, but not too many.

• 1 month later...

thanks to you all--i finally decided on a white witth blue trim doily she can use for the celebration. i just finished it and it will go out soon!!!!

thanks for all your help, and ideas

this place is the best!!!!!! karen

thanks to you all--i finally decided on a white witth blue trim doily she can use for the celebration. i just finished it and it will go out soon!!!!

thanks for all your help, and ideas

this place is the best!!!!!! karen

\

That sounds really pretty! Would love to see it! :manyheart

sorry, it is already out. i hve to contact my IT team (read:teenagers) to help me post stuff like that. it is called a snow doily and has a 3-d look to it. i was very happy with how oit turned out----hope she is too!!!!

karen

I'm with you. I have to rely on my daughter (way past her teenage years) to post my pictures also. I feel like my mother...she always used to say "you can't teach an old dog new tricks". I know that isn't true, but when it comes to computer technology, I find it is true. I'm glad I'm able to do what I can do, with computers.

Archived