What's up with Quilting mags???

lisalu

Okay, I go to the newsstand looking for crochet and knitting magazines. There are maybe 1 or 2 of each. However there were (and I counted!) FOURTEEN DIFFERENT QUILTING MAGAZINES!

WTH????

Seriously, I have never known a single person who quilts - although obviously many people must be doing it. But come on now, fourteen different magazines on one newsstand? Are there really that many more quilters than knitters or crocheters? What's up with that?

They are probably showing what is currently selling.

Yes, I'm sure they are. On the other hand I can't buy crochet/knitting mags if they aren't available. If they stocked them, I'd buy them!

It's the same here, lisalu. I get so frustrated! I asked the lady who does the magazines to please stock some knitting and crochet magazines, she said she would...that was a year ago and they still don't carry anything but quilting! In fact they now carry more quilting magazines than the did before:(

I am so glad I'm not the only one who has noticed this absurdity!! I too have never known anyone that quilts, but know quite a few who knit and crochet. The magazines stocked should reflect that!

I quilt and so do lots of other women. That doesn't really compensate for the lack of crochet magazines. The news stands can't stock them if they don't exist, though.

You know, I have noticed the same thing. Seems like there used to be a lot more crochet mags avail. At the grocery store I shop at, there are probably a dozen quilt mags, at least, and one crochet mag. I used to quilt, and still do occasionally, but since I've gotten "hooked", the quilting has taken a backseat to the crocheting.

IN all the places I've lived, finding a crochet magazine anywhere aside from a hobby store has been a real rarity. I've seen quilting, beading, painting, knitting, cross-stitch and scrapbook magazines aplenty though.

Same here, a ton of quilting mags, one or two crochet and I think one knit. I subscribe to my favorites because that's the only way I'm going to see them. Besides, if they don't have enough subscribers the magazine goes under and I've seen too many do that. :eek

I just attended the international quilt show in Houston this past weekend and compared to a crochet show it is HUGE. Seriously, it took the entire convention center and was jammed packed. In fact, I left around noon because you literally couldn't walk down the aisles. The biggest crochet convention I've been too takes up the meeting rooms of a convention hotel. When it comes down to it I think quilting just has much more of a following. At least that what it seems. :shrug

:yay We may be fewer but we are certainly passionate, right?!?! :woo

:bounce

I just started quilting a couple months ago and have already met countless others who do the same. I have been pleasantly surprised at just how many enjoy this activity--it's HUGE. I find that they are quite the similar group to those at the Ville: kind and generous, with gracious hearts and commonly working to provide items to those in need.

I just attended the international quilt show in Houston this past weekend and compared to a crochet show it is HUGE. Seriously, it took the entire convention center and was jammed packed. In fact, I left around noon because you literally couldn't walk down the aisles. The biggest crochet convention I've been too takes up the meeting rooms of a convention hotel. When it comes down to it I think quilting just has much more of a following. At least that what it seems.

I believe you, after all you've seen it with your own eyes. But honestly I don't know ONE SINGLE PERSON who quilts. I know countless people who knit, many who crochet, but no quilters. I sure never see all these quilts everyone is making. But I'd love to be a "fly on the wall" and see who buys all those quilting magazines.

I know several people who quilt and several men whos wife quilt. But still there is a ton of quilting magazines and 2 or 3 knitting ones on the newstands and maybe 1 crochet, if that. One store sells Crochet! and Crochet World but not Crochet Today (not sure why,:think maybe cause it's still fairly new?)... But I really can't sew and tried hand quilting (too boring for me... up, down, up, down:P)...

Debbi

I just started quilting a couple months ago and have already met countless others who do the same. I have been pleasantly surprised at just how many enjoy this activity--it's HUGE. I find that they are quite the similar group to those at the Ville: kind and generous, with gracious hearts and commonly working to provide items to those in need.

I guess its like anything else, you don't know how many people are doing something until you start doing it yourself. But me, I'm just not interested in quilting at all so I guess I'll never know!

Archived