Papoose Poncho - Seeking Collaborators

AmyOH

Question

Any Mamas out there interested in collaborating on a pattern with me? I've been designing a pattern for a poncho you can wear while carrying your baby in a front or rear carrier or sling. There are several beautiful knitted versions out there, i.e.

http://childrensneeds.com/mama_poncho.html

but they are *so* expensive, and I have a few ideas that would make the crocheted version unique.

So, this is a bit of an unusual proposition. I have a schematic and design drawn out, but I don't have the bandwidth right now to crochet a model. I need a collaborator who could crochet the pieces for the model, and send them to me to put together, photograph, etc. (and then return it, completed, to you to keep or do with what you wish)

Of course the collaborator and I would share credit on the pattern, and if we decided to offer it for sale, we'd share any proceeds. If you've never designed anything before, this might be a cool way to try it out. We'll work together to choose yarn, and you will have input in the design.

Of course, if my method seems too crazy, I'll just put it on the back burner...

PM me if you're interested...

Cheers,

Amy

23 answers to this question

I would be thrilled to help you with this! I have carried 5 nurslings in slings, and tandem nursed twice, although currently I have no one BFing (for the first time in years-youngest is almost 5!) But I would be thrilled to be part of a project to help other nursing Moms...

Shannon

taylorj41@comcast.net

Just to update you all--I have sketches for the design and I've picked a yarn we'll let you know as soon as the design is done!

Would love to have this pattern for my son and his wife, the last was born Dec. 29, 2004, it is his 5th child. They sure could use this! :hug

Ohhh kay - I admit, I thought the poncho was to hold baby, too!

Soooooo - you're just thinking of a poncho that has headholes for you and baby, right?

That's a horse of a different color!

The poncho would lay over your head and the babys head, it shouldnt pull at all if you make the area between you and the baby the right size. The baby doesnt sit in the poncho or anything, it's just placed over the both of you so you can wear a poncho while wearing your baby.

You could definitely use it to nurse--not necissarily while the baby is still in the carrier, but it would be a good "privacy" poncho for nursing...

Oh dear....I have so many WIPs already. I am due in the end of October and could use something like that through the winter. You couldn't nurse in it though could you? I could never get ds "lined up" right when I tried nursing in a sling anyways. Hmmm let me think about this.....

Rachel

The poncho would lay over your head and the babys head, it shouldnt pull at all if you make the area between you and the baby the right size. The baby doesnt sit in the poncho or anything, it's just placed over the both of you so you can wear a poncho while wearing your baby.

Oh dear....I have so many WIPs already. I am due in the end of October and could use something like that through the winter. You couldn't nurse in it though could you? I could never get ds "lined up" right when I tried nursing in a sling anyways. Hmmm let me think about this.....

Rachel

Ok, I had a thought (Amazing, I know!). Couldn't you just make a poncho using granny squares and leave one of the squares out in the front to be the opening for the baby's head? Give it a few rows of single stitch around both of the openings for collars?

Maybe something like this:

http://web.archive.org/web/20001019043107/http://www.cei.net/~vchisam/groovy/04-700.html

and omit the 4 squares forming a diamond in the center of her chest.

Or something like this:

http://www.******/crochet/grasqupon.html

only with 6 inch squares.

Maybe????

I have 2 nurselings 2 yrs. and 9 mos. I wear them both from time to time eo I am interested as well.

Where in the world was this pattern when I was nursing? That would have been great while I was in Germany during the wintertime! I can't wait to see how it works out for you...with three kids at home for the summer, I can't help much..but let me know what I can do!

Donna :hook

Yes--I think it's a pattern that would also appeal to WAHMs (work-at-home-moms) who sell online--like those who sell knitted diaper covers...

This sounds wonderful!

Is there a maximum age/size you can carry?

My nursling is almost 2.

This sounds like something very near and dear to my heart, but I don't know when I'd have the time. Maybe if several people worked on it... :think

Archived