Do all afghans need to be blocked?

I have made lots of afghans. I have made lots of hats, scarves, sweaters, shawls, ponchos, gloves, etc . They all have been made using synthetic fiber. I have never blocked any of them. Whether and item "needs" to be blocked , or not, falls, mostly, into the personal preference area. I have never felt the "need" to block anything.

I think that the biggest factor in blocking is the fiber used to make the item. My understanding is that acrylics don't tend to really need blocked or get much out of blocking (not that they can't, just not typically), but something like cotton or wool will benefit more from blocking.

IMO, acrylic doesn't block well, because it wants to spring back to its original shape. Also, I think the edging of the afghan is a factor. For instance, I have a wool round ripple where the edges curl up, so that needs to be blocked so it lays flat, but I've never blocked any other afghan I've made, and I've made bunches. :) I'd say if you lay it all out and it looks flat and the edges are straight, then it's perfect.

I have been crocheting for 40 years and have never blocked an afghan. The only things I've ever blocked have been some thread items and the occasional sweater.

I have been crocheting for over 32 years and have never blocked an afghan. Of course, I have only used acrylics for my afghans.

Archived