Update-Done!(Post 32) tigers and zebras and giraffes, oh my!

karenj

They are SOOOOO cute! I know somebody who just had a baby boy and his nursey is the jungle theme. Maybe I should try to make some ( even though I couln't do them even close to as good as yours!)! Yours are SO good! I want to get lighted crochet hooks, although the Jo-ann I go to doesn't carry them... :-(

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sara - I saw the lighted hooks on Joann's online, and I think they were on sale. And if you sign up online, i think they give you shipping for $2.95 for you first order (but I think you have to order right then). I'm going into town tomorrow to see if my Joann's have them, and if not I will go online.

To the kind folks who asked for a pattern - I probably won't get to it in the next few days, but I will try to post a pattern for at least one of these little guys soon. Should I have someone test it first, or is it OK to just let 'er rip?

Those are just adorable. What a teriffic idea. I've started using my lighted hooks when I'm doing Ami or just sc work because it doesn't hurt my hand nearly as much. I'm going to find some way to adapt my trusty boye hooks in the future though. But I do say try the lighted ones. The thicker handle really helps.

• 3 weeks later...

That is absolutely adorable! Even if someone did get your friend a mobile, yours would undoubtedly be better. ;) What a lucky baby! I love, love, love it and the giraffe has stolen my heart.

Even if someone else buys her a mobile - she will LOVE and treasure yours - it is fantastic! One can always be hung above the changing table, or Pack N Play.

Kris

P.S. If you need testers, please let me know!

2965617854_d0e53846b5.jpg?v=0

2965613420_19d155a7b7.jpg?v=0

2965639976_3a60b11bc8.jpg?v=0

more photos at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30946375@N06/sets/72157607553074962/

Finally finished (and the baby shower is not for another month). I am quite proud! But now I worry someone else will give my friend a mobile. I better find out where she is registered and pretend I bought one. I hope you enjoy them as much as I have.

The circle is just a 12" metal ring that you can buy at a cragt stor for about $1. I single-crocheted over it and left long yarn tails at the beginning and end of each color, for chains to hang the animals and the mobile.

Thanks!

Karenj,

These are just sooooo precious! I sincerely hope you do take the time to write out the pattern and sell them! I know I'd (and others!) would just love to have these! I'm in awe of them! And I love the idea of them being removable and being their own pieces! That is awesome! I LOVE it!!!!!!!

Karenj,

These are just sooooo precious! I sincerely hope you do take the time to write out the pattern and sell them! I know I'd (and others!) would just love to have these! I'm in awe of them! And I love the idea of them being removable and being their own pieces! That is awesome! I LOVE it!!!!!!!

I would die for the pattern for the animals!!! My 4yo son is autistic and we're trying to find patterns for handmade toys (for he and our 7yo dd) for our Christmas to be completely handmade.

2965613420_19d155a7b7.jpg?v=0

I was going to try to write a pattern but it is very hard to go back and remember what I did (and I have never written a pattern). Plus I am still trying to finish my daughter's Tweety costume before Halloween actually arrives. I may not get to writing a real pattern for a while, but for those of you who are willing to wing it a little, here are some details.

I started with the Best Bunny pattern( http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/60480A.html?noImages=0 )

on the free Lion brand yarn site for the tiger. The yarn is Peaches and Creme (Walmart) or Sugar and Cream (Joann’s) both 100% cotton worsted weight. I used a C hook to keep them small (6-7 inches high). If you don’t need them to be tiny, use a larger hook – maybe an F or G, because the tails and arms get hard when you are working in rounds of 6 sc for a long time.

I sort of made up the patterns as I went along just to see if I could, so there was lots of frogging and I did not take notes. The Tiger followed Best Bunny pretty closely, but I added a 4 round muzzle in white to 24 sc. For the head and body, I did the black stripe about 3/4 of the way around, then switched to orange for the remaing 1/4. I carried the orange and/or black yarn along, crocheting over it. Each stripe is 2 rounds thick. Ears are 2 rounds to 12 sc. Tail is 12 Rounds of 6 sc.

The other animals were all variations - zebra is fatter (an extra increase row from 30 sc to 33 sc). I alternated colors on each round for him so I did not have to carry the other color along (although you will get a little line where you switched - but I just covered a lot of it with the mane).

Giraffe was the hardest because I did the head, neck and body continuously, so you have to remember to stuff the head before you do the neck. His spots are painted on with an orange fabric paint pen. Starting from the top of the head, follow Best Bunny through rnd 13 -12sc. Then do 6 rounds of 12sc. Then 2 rounds of 18 sc, 3 rounds 24 sc, 7 rounds of 30 sc. Then finish off with decrease rnds of 24, 18, 12,6.

Monkey was pretty straight forward. Use the basic Best Bunny with muzzle decribed below. Each eye are a 2 round circle of 6 sc then 12sc. Ears are 3 rnd circles to 18 sc that are folded in half and stitched on in a curved shape. I made his tail super long, just for fun.

The muzzles on the giraffe and monkey are oval formed by chaining 5 then doin 2 sc in 2nd ch from hook, 1 sc in next 2 ch, then 3 sc in last chain, flip over and 1 sc in each chain in underneath side of starting chain, back to the starting sc, then work in the round, increasing sc in each round for 3 or 4 rounds (depends on proportion you like), then 3 more rows without increases. Zebra muzzle is a magic circle of 6 sc, increase by 6 sc each round for 2 more rounds to 18, then 3 round of 18 sc. The giraffe and zebra have macrame tails. I can't remember how I made the zebra ears - they were hard because I wanted teardrop shapes that were curved to one side.

The faces are all done with fine-tip Sharpies, except the zebra, who I embroidered, to cover a mistake with the Sharpie for the eyes and because pink sharpie would not show up on the black muzzle.

I don't know if this is enough to point anyone in the right direction, but if anyone attempts any of these little guys, please post photos!

more photos of backs of animals and details:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30946375@N06/sets/72157607553074962/

Archived