Are you ever scared to wash something you crocheted?

I've only washed one blanket that I've made. The rest I gave as gift with a big :xfin that they held up when washed. :paranoid

Anyway, I made a lamb blanket that is all wonky shaped after I finished it so I am going to wash it and then block it so I can put it in the county fair.

I'm :xfin that it comes out ok...:nervous

I made a really fancy christening blanket for my sister with a couple thousand crystal beads woven in it. I was terrified to wash it. I tied it in a pillowcase and it actually came out just fine.

Good luck!

Colleen

absolutely - as many of the crochet cotten darker colors bleed.

I actually finished a winter snowflake blanket made out of chenille - and washed it (on gentle) and it FELL APART. I cried - as it was alot of work - well it matches my DBFs car - so its the "Emergency" Trunk blanket now.

I have used the large pillow case method, that worked well, but I was scared it wouldn't. If I am making something for a gift I generally don't risk washing it before I give it away. My grandmother has hollared at me for that too. I just don't want it to get messed up before I give it away. I am usually tight with a deadline anyway with no time to fix if is did come apart. So far no one has said anything. I will continue with the pillowcase method in the further though.

I have dogs, so I always wash everything. I also want to make sure all my ends stay woven in! I just wash it using the delicate cycle and fluff it on low in the dryer. I've never had any problems. I really just want to make sure that if something is going to fall apart - it falls apart on me and not the person I'm giving it to LOL!

I'm always scared of washing something if I've never made anything like it before... but when it comes to afghans, slippers, hats, scarf... etc I have no fear.

Shirts I tend to hand-wash, I threw one cotton shirt in the washer once and it shed on everything around it...

But, I wash and dry normally and haven't had a problem. It is a bit scary though...

The big item on the market right now for washing is called SOAK. There are several scents and one unscented. You don't have to rinse the item afterwards. It sounds weird, but it is getting rave reviews. It is imported from Canada I think. Check you local yarn store. It is supposed to be unsurpassed in delicacy and making an item soft.

They talked about it a ton on one of the Getting Loopy Podcasts.

Archived