Knit You Bit Campaign for the WW II Museum

PBLKNP

They have just put out the new 2008 pattern for the "Knit Your Bit" campaign for the WW II Museum.

http://www.nationalww2museum.org/education/knitting.html

I've done several scarves for the Veterans. It's an easy Take-along project, and it's for a good cause. You can either use this year's pattern or use the past years' ones. They have crochet patterns as well as knit patterns.

Great project... I spend lots of time at the VA in Durham Nc & at Ft Bragg... the VETS appreciate everything we do for them!:crocheting

You are so right Lea! I've been volunteering at the USO, and I've found that all of our soldiers & veterans are so appreciative! It's been a wonderful experience! :yes I can see now I'm going to have to make a scarf for Special Olympics "and" for Knit Your Bit! :manyheart

Oh, wow! This is great! I'll be crocheting some scarves for this. My dad is 84-years-young and a WWII veteran. He wears a hearing aid, sight is not all that great, but he still works 20 hours a week as a bookkeeper. I'm very proud of him!

I'm going to make a scarf or two. I don't have circular knitting needles so I'm going to make the knitted pattern from year 2 with the "V" done into it, and I'll use the crochet pattern from this year. This is such a great cause!!

I made 5 scarves last year for this program, and they send you a lovely little certificate of appreciation. My dad was a WWII vet, so I love this cause, too. In fact, I have two done already and another on the needles for Knit Your Bit. Glad to see the new pattern up, which I've been waiting for, too.

I'm assuming all these scarf projects have blossomed out of the enormous success of the Red Scarf Project. Crocheters and knitters have such big hearts.

Patty

They have just put out the new 2008 pattern for the "Knit Your Bit" campaign for the WW II Museum.

http://www.nationalww2museum.org/education/knitting.html

I've done several scarves for the Veterans. It's an easy Take-along project, and it's for a good cause. You can either use this year's pattern or use the past years' ones. They have crochet patterns as well as knit patterns.

:)This is wonderful..thank u Pam...I never saw this before...what a great organization...thanks for the info

I didn't see anything about colors on there.....do they care what color we make the scarf in? I'm going to get one maybe two done and get them sent off. Something to do while I wait on my back-ordered blue yarn for the Special Olympics.

Nope, as Pam's link points out, they just ask they be in colors appropriate for a man (as most WWII vets are men). The three I've made this year are tan, so they'd be appropriate for a female vet, too. Two of the ones I made last year followed their striped scarf pattern, but the others didn't. I try to pick plainer patterns, not frilly or lacey patterns, since they strike me as more manly. Here's a photo of the scarves I sent last year.

[/url]th_scarves.jpg

Patty

• 1 month later...

This charity project just took on a whole new meaning to me. My grandfather just passed away this past weekend at the age of 86. I knew he had served in the Army during WWII (achieving the rank of SgtMajor) but, he never spoke of his service. I've since learned that he survived the "Battle of the Bulge", where almost 20,000 american soldiers died (according to PBS). I'll miss you "papaw"! :cry

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

th_Knityoubit2.jpg

th_KnityourBit1.jpg

Those are just beautiful! I did the "V" stitch one, too. Have not tried the new pattern yet. I'm probably going to do that in crochet, as I can crochet a lot faster than I can knit.

Archived