Priscilla Hewitt's Circle of Friends Square

froggie

This is one of my favorite squares! It's by Priscilla Hewitt, and is called "Circle of Friends". I found the pattern at CPC, under 8 inch squares.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v244/MAF99/circleoffriends.jpg

The yellow is not nearly as obnoxious as it appears. I'm using a Caron Pounder in Jonquil. Since I crochet too tightly, I had to use a J hook to obtain the 8" square (the pattern calls for an H). And it is just 8" square--looks a lot bigger than that in the photo!

Plans for this? I'm making a throw for one of my patients. She has to come stay with us quite often, and she's a crocheter. She made some slippers for another nurse and she's working on a baby blanket for one of the aides. Anyway, this lady is tiny so I'm going to make it 40" x 64"--so I only need 39 more of these...

ETA: taken with my cell phone!

That's one of my favorite squares as well! I would love the finished afghan...please post a picture1 I'm sure she will be thrilled to receive it. That's one thing about people who crochet ~ they usually never keep anything they make and really appreciate when something is made for them because they know how much work goes into it!

I am a great admirer of Priscilla Hewitt's patterns, and this one is a particular favourite of mine. I have used it many times for blankets, and find it quick and easy, yet great-looking.

That's one of my favorite squares as well! I would love the finished afghan...please post a picture1 I'm sure she will be thrilled to receive it. That's one thing about people who crochet ~ they usually never keep anything they make and really appreciate when something is made for them because they know how much work goes into it!

That's the truth! I've been crocheting since I was 12, so 12 years now, and I've yet to make something for myself! I love receiving ANY kind of homemade gift from someone because I know they put more thought into it than just running to the store and grabbing something.

The square is beautiful. I am always disappointed at how colors turn up on cameras of finished projects. Almost always a LOT harsher than they look in the project.

• 2 weeks later...

An update. The patient for whom I am making this has been back in the hospital with us the last few days, and I've really enjoyed caring for her. But I found out last night that her cancer has spread, and the docs plan on sending her home on hospice care, meaning that she has 6 months (more or less) to live. I'm still working on the afghan, but it's going slowly. I'll have to get an address to send it to when it's done.

Anyway, I'm sad. No matter how long you work with cancer patients, you don't get used to this.

Oh Froggie I am so sorry to read this post. I felt your sadness in my heart.

I will lift you up in prayer. God Bless you for what you do every day. What you are crocheting is most definitely a work of heart!

Froggie, I am very sorry to hear about your patient. I was a CNA for 12 years and spent 2 on the oncology floor. I know how close you get to some. Remember, you give them peace and calm in a the battle against the cancer. It may not seem like it to you, but you are very special to them, and do a job that very few can or will do. The rewards are in the memories.

God Bless you,

Debra:manyheart

An update. The patient for whom I am making this has been back in the hospital with us the last few days, and I've really enjoyed caring for her. But I found out last night that her cancer has spread, and the docs plan on sending her home on hospice care, meaning that she has 6 months (more or less) to live. I'm still working on the afghan, but it's going slowly. I'll have to get an address to send it to when it's done.

Anyway, I'm sad. No matter how long you work with cancer patients, you don't get used to this.

Archived