Blocking Board

I am going to begin doing some more doilies soon and I am not sure how people block them. IN the past I have "flatten" them I wash them and lay them out good then pile a heavy stack of books on top but I see pics of them pinned out and they look much better then mine.

Any Advise?

I use my friend's old board. It even has lines on it so you can tell if you're blocking it perfectly round. I'm not sure you can get those anymore though. When i can't get her board, I try to find a piece of cardboard and put plastic wrap over it and then pin it down.

I made my own with a cork message board I no longer used. I graphed out in inch increments and contected the dots. I located the center of my board and using a compass I drew cirles in inch increments...It looks home-made but it is and it works for me!

I use a cardboard pizza round - you can get them by asking your local pizza restaurant - they usually will give me 2-3 with a puzzled look on thier faces! LOL

Also if you have a local paper/party goods store you can buy them their cheaply.

I use a piece of plywood cut 24" X 24". I bought a package of self adhesive, cork squares 12" X 12" (Wal-Mart) and glued 4 squares onto the board. I glued them because I knew the adhesive would not hold too well.

When I block on it, I cover it with a small, square, vinyl tablecloth or Saran Wrap then pin the doily on with non-rusting, quilting, straight pins to the board to dry.

If you do not know someone who will cut the board for you, Home Depot or Lowe's will cut it at the store for you.

You can get a paper covered foam board at Michael's that's meant for school science project displays, it's about 2'x3', I think it was about $5. I tape saran wrap on mine to waterproof it. I've made a couple concentric circle templates with ruler, compass and protractor to help me pin doilies with various numbers of points - I slip the template between the saran wrap and the board. It really helps to keep the dimensions and angles perfectly even.

I use those children's play mats that look like puzzle pieces. They're quite cushiony & can take multiple sets of pins. I cover them in plastic before I start pinning. They're cheap too. I think I paid $8 for a set of them & there were 9 in the package. If you have a large project to block you could just add more pieces. I found mine at Wal-Mart, but you can probably find them just about anywhere toys are sold.

Archived