Traveling and crocheting

So as many of us know, the TSA not only allows us to bring our crochet hooks onboard a plane, but actually encourages it, as opposed to knitting needles. But what I can't figure out, when I am flying, is if we can't bring scissors sharp enough to cut the yarn, then on long flights, how do they expect us to work?

Just a wondering thought for the day :)

:ducky ::giggle:: DUCKY!!!!

Honestly, I hardly ever use scissors. I just break the yarn with my hands. Doesn't take much effort (unless I'm using simply soft).

Never traveled on an airplane though so I don't have that kind of experience.

Julee

Apparently I need to work on my muscles, cuz I am not that talented.......

:box

:lol

It's really not that hard for most yarns but some yarns are way to strong (which is actually a good thing but it almost cuts into my hand though).

Just pick up a pair of CHEAP rounded school scissors. They cut the yarn fine, and if they get taken away, it's no biggie.

I recently picked up a pair from Wal=Mart for 60 cents. I threw it in my carry-on and had no problem. And if the TSA would have taken it, I wouldn't have cared.

But nothing was said at all. This is the time of year to pick up scissors and other things really cheap for crafting. School supply scissors are just fine for cutting yarns.

:manyheart

There are yarn/thread cutters that are round "medallion" like things that can be worn as a necklace. The yarn/thread goes into slots on the side and a round blade inside cuts it. There is no way the blade can cut anyone as it is sealed inside.

Ellie 13

I think rounded blunt tip scissors are just fine if you go on their site specs, but I actually think the medallion cutters could be a no no - I am not totally sure on that but something I read somewhere is coming to mind...

I got RAOK'd in the Holidays in July a real nice pair of tiny scissors and would not want those taken by TSA - so I think I will get a little Wally world pair too!

I took a pair of the kid's old safety school scissors with my on the plane back in May along with a new pair of finger nail clippers and had no trouble.

I didn't have trouble with my hooks at PDX it waswhen we got ready to come home that I thought I might have trouble with my metal hooks, I had plastic ones just in case. Norfolk, VA said they don't allow metal hooks.

There was nothing on the TSA website stating plastic is ok but metal is not allowed.

I would only take metal hooks you don't care abt and be prepared with some plastic ones just in case.

I flew in June and carried my little scissors with me (in my big purse) and they have pointed ends. The rule is that the blades have to be under 4 inches. Here's a link with the rules for what you can and can't have in carryon luggage http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm#4. Hope this helps you out.

I have taken my small scissors on airplanes with no trouble at all. They have sharp points, but the blades are only about 2 inches long...plenty long enough to cut yarn and thread, easy to pack around.

Patty

I use a yarn cutter medallion and have never had any problems with it. My SIL is a baggage screener and she told me no prob with my yarn cutter because the blades are not exposed and can not cause injury.

I use nail clippers with no file. I have a pendant but I am afraid it will be taken away and it was a gift from a pal.

One time I got questioned over my teeny tiny thread hooks. I have the set that goes from 00-k and the littlest ones they were looking at. They let me take them but it held me up so next time I am giong to just bring the sizes I need.

A friend from England was once given a hard time about her tapestry needles for needlepoint and she said, "Let me get this straight, I can't bring these blunt ended needles on, but I can wear this brooch with a very shape pointed pin on the back?" The guy admitted she was right and she was able to take the needles. I have found that if you just tell them what you have they say it's ok. Or put them in a clear bag right at the top of the stuff you put in the bin.

I use a yarn cutter medallion and have never had any problems with it. My SIL is a baggage screener and she told me no prob with my yarn cutter because the blades are not exposed and can not cause injury.

Unfortunately no one with TSA is on the same book. When we left Norfolk VA the TSA Security Officer that was waiting after you go through the Metal Detector was telling us that it is unfortunate that not even their own people in the same airport are on the same book.

We were talking with him since 2 of our carryon's were being scrutinized with a second look. That's how I found out that at Norfolk VA's Airport the TSA screeners will confiscate metal crochet hooks even though the website does not state anything abt it.

A friend from England was once given a hard time about her tapestry needles for needlepoint and she said, "Let me get this straight, I can't bring these blunt ended needles on, but I can wear this brooch with a very shape pointed pin on the back?" The guy admitted she was right and she was able to take the needles. I have found that if you just tell them what you have they say it's ok. Or put them in a clear bag right at the top of the stuff you put in the bin.

The clear bag is a great idea. We were told abt this on our return trip home after we had passed through security. We were told to put all our cords and batteries and anything else of questionable nature in a clear plastic bag and put the bag in the bin. I had already placed everything in a clear plastic bag and placed them in the top of the carry on's. The bags had all my cords and batteries for my Video Camera, Digital Camera and Cell phones with bluetooths. That is what made them take a second look.

Also if you have your instruction books for those items, place them in the plastic bags that way when they check them over, they can see exactly what the cords etc are for.

Recently I have done far too much traveling for my taste. I flew out of mitchel airport and flew into boston & atlanta.

I had no trouble taking my metal hooks with a pendent cuter from clover. I had many crochet hooks due to my bad packing.

In fact I had no clue how many untill I got to both places (6 in my carry on). I had a worse time with my lugage getting to Mitchel airport 6 hrs after I did then I did with security. But this was me. back to work

Laura

As others have said, they (TSA) are not on the same page in the same book of what is ok and what isn't.

Just remember to NOT bring your prized hooks, and if something is taken, it won't be too much of a sacrafice.

Also, tuck extra hooks in your checked luggage so that if they are taken from carry-on, you can just start up again once you land.

Don't let it get you down.

:manyheart

So as many of us know, the TSA not only allows us to bring our crochet hooks onboard a plane, but actually encourages it, as opposed to knitting needles. But what I can't figure out, when I am flying, is if we can't bring scissors sharp enough to cut the yarn, then on long flights, how do they expect us to work?

Just a wondering thought for the day :)

:ducky ::giggle:: DUCKY!!!!

Herrschner's sells a yarn cutter that looks like a medalion, can be but on a chain around your neck. I have 2, one stays in my purse, one with my hooks at home

Carry plastic and metal hook -- round-nose children scissors.....

I fly a lot with projects. I have never had a problem with my small round-tip fiskar children's scissors. They are very sharp and do all I need and were only $2 when I bought them. This is the time of year to pick up a pair, as they would be on sale for the start of the school year.

I have not had a problem with my metal hooks recently, but during the high-risk time I flew with a plastic hook (groan, not a plastic fan). Next time, I think I will go ahead and pack a plastic and metal hook and if they take the metal, oh well. Then I will use the plastic hook. The light-up plastic hook would be especially handy now that I think about it.

Just my 2 cents!

I used the medallion cutter.......wore it like a necklace......no one took any notice of it! They are available in two sizes, one for cutting yarn and one for cutting thread. The best advice I ever saw about this sort of stuff was to bring along a self addressed stamped envelope. If your hooks are being confiscated.....mail them home to yourself.:hook

I've taken metal hooks (down to a small size 10) around the world with no problems.

I have a cheap pair of folding scissors that pass the tests they do. Most of the time I just carry a fingernail clipper and cut thread or yarn with that. They're legal.

For awhile, the circular pendants were illegal, but I never knew anyone personally who got them confiscated.

Archived