What to make...

I think a small afghan or lapaghan is a good idea for someone moving into a nursing home as it personalizes their room a bit and can be useful if they are not used to the tempt the nursing home is regulated to.

You could also consider a shrug or shawl.

I worked as a CNA for many years and the patients were always eager to have a personal blanket of their own.

Looks like you already got some ideas here

A shrug or shawl sounds nice maybe a pretty crocheted flower on it for a special touch

Maybe a hat if she has problems with thin hair or has a lot of bad hair days so when she has company she could just put on her hat maybe one with a crocheted flower or so on it..

What a nice thing to do for her sure she will love whatever you make for her

Darlene

Homes usually provide hospital style blankets. While we were at Dad's going thru my Stepmoms stuff for the Salvation Army I put together a box for the local nursing home. This sweet tiny lady had no one. We gave her the twin size blue ripple and it just brightened up her whole side of the room.

How big of a thing do you want to make?

I like all the suggestions you received. I've crocheted tissue box covers for everyone and every occasion ..... a few are pictured below.

crochettbcoverstx1.jpg

I like all the suggestions you received. I've crocheted tissue box covers for everyone and every occasion ..... a few are pictured below.

crochettbcoverstx1.jpg

How about a tissue box cover?

Great minds think alike, we posted at the same time! :lol I love you tissue box covers!:manyheart

Or an eyeglasses case. Or the pretty, little tissue case like the one Katchkan designed for the pocket-sized tissue packs. My mother likes to keep one in her recliner next to her.

I've given them to people who keep them in the bed with them.

Sleeping booties, wrist warmers. A sun catcher for the window.

Bookmarks, crosses, angels.

There are probably a few dozen more.

Thanks for the suggestions. I know she got a shawl for christmas last year. And she´s beginning to get a bit confused about stuff,so I´m a bit unsure of putting more unfamiliar things in her room.

Perhaps you could "replace" something she already has? You know...something that might be a little worn. Just make it in the same color or style.

Another thought: all the older people I know get cold legs. How about a small blanket just for lap to shoes that would tuck around them in a chair. My mother calls them lap blankets. They are smaller than throws or afghans. I've made them for several folks at the sitting time of life and they've appreciated having them.

Having worked in several nursing homes, I think that lapghans/afghans are still a good bet. Lapghans work great for when a resident is up in a chair. It provides warmth and privacy. Afghans can help to individualize the residents bed. Having to share a room often makes it difficult to decorate with person possessions from home. I like to make a big granny square using different textures and colors of yarn. I have done it for two friends who have been convalescing and they both love them very much. I like to think of them as a great big hug whenever they need it. Just a suggestion!A

Archived