Disappointment upon visiting thrift store today....

...as I found beautiful crocheted blanket after beautiful crocheted blanket for $3 and under. :( Some baby blankets, some bedspreads, and while some were funky colors, some were really amazing. If I had the room and space to love them all, I might have! LOL!

Anyway, this made me sad as I think about how much I love to give crocheted gifts. Are they gonna end up in the thrift store too?

One guy did find a good-sized bag full of really nice yarn~all the same. I had to pray against covetousness at that point. Somehow I know it was not meant for me, but I still couldn't help being a little green! I don't know where he found that thing, either... LOL! (((((HUGS))))) sandi

ETA that I have a friend that works in an antique store, and when they get in crocheted blankets she gives them out to move furniture on. ACK! That cuts to the quick!

I have rescued many a blanket from this fate. I often take them home, wash them up and off to project Linus they go.

That is an awesome Idea I will have to keep and eye out at the thrift store here:hook

OH Wiz! What a GREAT idea! I saw some BEAUTIFUL baby blankets~thanks for the idea! I will join you in that.... (((((HUGS))))) sandi

You are welcome. At least I know they will get a new home that will love them. Its nice to know i just turned your sad story into a positive one for you. :hug

I see them all the time in our Goodwill store. I saw one from a kit that MIL had just given me to make for her. she bought it years ago and never learned how to make it. I was so tempted to buy the Goodwill one and pass it off as mine! Only thing stopping me was that it was worn and pilly! Shameless-I know!

better a thrift store than a trash can

Amen. I often find some really nice things thrown into the dumpster at work. I did find an afghan once, but I didn't get to it in time, and it was ruined.

it's sad to see beautiful handmade items at a thrift store - especially when you know how much work goes into them, but I guess there is another way to look at it. I would hate to think of them being thrown out or used as rags - at least this way they can go to a person or family who couldn't otherwise afford one and who will love it.

I love the Project Linus idea!!

I know, I hate when I see these at thrift stores and garage sales as well. Just the other day I rescued a very nice Crocheted Throw for (ready for this?) just 5 cents. WHAT? 5 cents? I couldn't believe someone would just give something that precious away! I washed it up and it is small but will fit perfectly in our dogs crate where they stay while we are at work. We try to change out their "blankets" every month or so, but I'm thinking I may just start snagging up small blankets like this when I find them at thrift stores and I can switch them out once a week. Even though we have plenty of afghans for ourselves, the doggies lay on them all day every day while we are at work and love them so at least they are loved this way... Still, kinda sad, isn't it?

Archived