Flat Braid Join Method Vs. Edging and Sewing

Which is faster for square joining... Flat Braid Method or Edge and Sew Method  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Which is faster for square joining... Flat Braid Method or Edge and Sew Method

• Flat Braid is definitely Faster
    • Edge and Sew is faster way to go
    • Both come out to take about the same time
    • Don't know I've only done one of these methods so can't compare

I really like flat braid and certainly use it for "special projects" but it does take a bit longer. Perhaps only because I do not use it all the time.

On the other hand, I generaly use a simpler form to join.

I like the finished look and stability that and edging of single crochet adds to each square - usually in a single color which works well with all used in the project, but not necessarily from the colors already used.

Then, I usually slip stitch back and forth - which creates the look of single crochet, and helps to keep the joins less bulky.

HTH

Wheat

I generally join them by holding the squares right side together and slip stitching through the back loops. I like the ridge effect it gives.

I am currently making a scrap yo-yo afghan using the flat braid method, but not with a contrasting color, I am using the same color as the yo-yo and joining as I go along. This way I can use up all my tiny balls of leftovers.

• 10 months later...

I love this method of joining! It is very forgiving, does not give you "seams" and gives it a bit of a fancier look. I made an afghan with 12 inch squares and I really like the way that this method gave it!

I voted in the poll that I wasnt sure because I did one of these methods which was the flat braid. I did try slip stitching it but I didnt like the look so I tore it out and did the flat braid.

My current favourite join is the continuous join as demonstrated by Bethintx1

as it has all 4 vids together

It would not work for every square but it is very nice and makes a great join/ghan.

Edit to add: Kelly, that is the same method as I have. Beth is doing videos as a continuation of Sandie's instructions.. from Susan's work. :wlol

I want to try the flat braid joinging, as I am not a sewer. If I can get away from it, I will.

Maybe it is like anything else, you just need a little practice.:hook

• 4 months later...

i love how the flat braid is forgiving for slightly different sized squares... i made an afghan of a train theme with patterns from all different sources and different brands of ww acrylic.... the squares were close but not quite same size... flat braid allowed me to join and have some forgiveness in sizing. (this was my first time trying this method so the corners are not as perfect as i would like -- i used chris simon's instructions)

Wyatt's Blanket

:crocheting

The last method I used was slip stitch. I'm not always happy with the raised edge from the crochet method, and I agree with the sewing comment, I usually run out of "thread" before I'm at the end of the row. With slip stitch you're just weaving the thread from the ball through the stitches, no raised edge, no lack of thread or extra ends to weave in.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...

This seems to be what I've done a few times, but not with the 3ch.

But to me (being I foreigner maybe) the word "braid" seems a bit awkward since it neither works as, nor looks like, a braid.

Archived