Flat Braid Join Method Vs. Edging and Sewing

Which is faster for square joining... Flat Braid Method or Edge and Sew Method  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Which is faster for square joining... Flat Braid Method or Edge and Sew Method

• Flat Braid is definitely Faster
    • Edge and Sew is faster way to go
    • Both come out to take about the same time
    • Don't know I've only done one of these methods so can't compare

I just learned the flat braid joining method for squares last night, I have 8 of 48 joined for a comfortghan, and I'm a little awkward with it, and was wondering what other people think about square joining methods.

Before this I've always edged all the squares in a common color and then whipstitched the edged squares...

I'm not sure if flat braid is any faster, it looks nice, but I'm wondering how it works out time wise....

Oooh, I like the look! I bet it's a bit tedious, dropping the loop all the time, but it looks neat. I may have to try that, if I ever give in and make another 'ghan with squares. (not something I enjoy, so I rarely do it) All I've done in the past is edge and chain/sc the pieces together.

I generally do a modified flat braid method -I don't drop the loop and it "feels" faster for me. Whether it actually is or not, well I've never timed myself. I use which ever method looks best with the squares and the purpose.

I generally do a modified flat braid method -I don't drop the loop and it "feels" faster for me. Whether it actually is or not, well I've never timed myself. I use which ever method looks best with the squares and the purpose.

I do it this way as well. There's a difference in the final look -- it's more 2-D than 3-D.

There are other methods that are faster than either of these if speed is what you want. You can hold both sides together and kind of do a chain-SC thru all layers. Or just do the Ch-SC thru the back loops.

my thing is I like edging them and sewing them, I actually like the boxed look of each square, and the uniformity of it... I am doing this flat braid method on the comfortghan I'm assembling right now because I like learning new things, I do like the way it looks, it still gives a solid color to bring all the other colors together, but it is tedious dropping the loop... however, it's very pretty with the end result... I'll try the next one without dropping the loop and see how that looks and feels for me, I like having options. We'll see. :)

I've always called it crocheting squares together. I've done both, but never compared the time. I don't drop the loop though, I do [ch 1, sl st in the sp on the 1st square, ch 1, sl st in 2nd square]. It's easier and maybe faster. With sewing you have to cut lengths of yarn and hope it's not too short/long. Also, too many ends to weave in!

Ellie 13

I make the squares :lol but never join them. I have tried to join squares and I just can't achieve the look I am hoping for. So, I just make squares for charity and leave the joining to someone else, as I have tired and failed miserably :lol

I voted for Flat Braid (although there are other ways to crochet together as you go), because you compared it to "Edge and Sew". With Flat Braid, you are already done at the "Edge" part. If your braid is the same color as your last row, there's fewer ends to weave versus sewing or crocheting together after the fact.

The disadvantage to joining as you go is that you don't have the luxury of just taking a ball of yarn with you to work a square 'on the go'. You need to lug the afghan around too, or at least work in sections.

I've always called it crocheting squares together. I've done both, but never compared the time. I don't drop the loop though, I do [ch 1, sl st in the sp on the 1st square, ch 1, sl st in 2nd square]. It's easier and maybe faster. With sewing you have to cut lengths of yarn and hope it's not too short/long. Also, too many ends to weave in!

Ellie 13

See,when I sew them together I don't have a million ends to weave in because what I do is this:

I leave a tail at the beginning of the edging row that is a little more than twice the size of the sq, and sc around the entire square, doing 3 sc in the border, then I cut the tail at the end to be the same length as my beginning tail, and I use the tails to do my sewing... so I'm sewing and weaving in the ends at the same time ;)

I've got 2 rows done now on this ghan with the flat braid, and I'm thinking that it's about the same time as it takes me edging and sewing, so :yay I have a new method... love having options!

I can't say, because I have never seen the flat braid method before this, but I CAN say that I think it's a very interesting method now that I have seen how it is done, and how it looks when it's finished, and I would like to learn how to do it so that I can use it on my own pieces.

The finished product has a very different look and is quite pretty! I'm impressed with this method! :clap

I can't answer your poll because you did not offer my choice. I sc or slip stitch only.

I have a bag with some squares that need to be sewn together... It is so not going to happen... Ever!!!

Give me SC or give me death!!!

:rofl

Well, I'm very sad right now. I had joined a couple rows of a comfortghan with the flat braid method, and where I understood it, it doesn't look right to me, the corners of the squares don't line up right, it looks WONKY, like to the point that even my husband noticed it :eek and he never says anything I do looks weird.

So, i'm taking the rows back apart and going back to my sc edging and sewing, I'm not giving up on the flatbraid method, just going to have to practice on smaller things first. I can't give a comfortghan away that looks wonky.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't vote in the poll because, although I prefer flat braid method, I have no idea if it is faster. I do drop the loop and since I'm holding the squares closely together, I find it doesnt slow me down.

this is how I do the corners. http://www.geocities.com/cdjsimon/hmb_corner_details.html I have experimented to get the right number of chains in the loops at the corners.

When I try to sc or sew the squares together I always feel like the joining is too tight or too inflexible. Flat braid lets the join move and be flexible.

I've never tried the flat braid joining method, I usually slip stitch or just sew them together. I can sew them together faster, though. I honestly don't mind the sewing at all. In fact, if someone refuses to sew, they are really missing out on a lot of projects that are fun, and look nice once done.

Archived