How do you wind your thread?

Rachel

I thought I'd ask the question here, rather than in the Crochet Help section, since it deals only with trhead crochet. How do all of you keep your tension tight? Do you wind your thread around your fingers differently than you do when or if you're working with yarn? I'm wondering because I can never seem to keep my tension tight unless I wind the thread around my fingers in a really convoluted way.

Thanks!

I'm wondering because I can never seem to keep my tension tight unless I wind the thread around my fingers in a really convoluted way.

Thanks!

That's common, Rachel. Working with cotton thread requires a bit more tension generally speaking. I do some sort of crazy hand manipulation and hold it taut around my pinky usually.

Noel talks a bit about it on her lovely thread crochet snowflakes page here.

actually I hold them both pratically the same way. I use my middle, 4th, and pinky finger kinda made in a fist and hold the thread in there. I dont wind around my fingers. My granny does, but I cant get the hang of that, so I adapted my own way.Good Luck! It realy just takes practice to find a way that is comfortable and efficiant for you!

I hold it the same as I do yarn, which means I don't hold either 'properly'. I'm self taught so I figured out what worked best for me. I probably should use a different hold for thread but it didn't happen.

I'm actually suffering from an advanced case of ALTCS (Acutely Loopy Treble Crochet Syndrome):lol , and I'm trying to figure out whether my tension is to blame, or whether its something else. I use Boye hooks, and I do agree with Noel at the thread crochet site that the shank of the hook may well be part of my problem, but I'm severely limited as to choice. WalMart has Boye and...Boye.:blush :blush I figure if I can't change my hooks, maybe changing the way I wind my yarn will help.

:D I suffered from ALTCS too. I'm not sure what exactly cured me of it, other than doing several projects in a row that used trs and dtrs both in thread and in yarn. My last doily was all trs and as I worked it I kept being shocked at how even they were. Maybe just the more you do them, the better they'll get? :think:)

I hold them both basicly the same, with the exception of using the little finger and the next two to hold onto the thread going over the index finger. So you look like you are pretending to hold a gun. You know like little kids do?:lol:hook

I hold it the same way I do yarn. My pinkey finger get cramped after I work on it for a little bit. I to seen to have the ALTCS on sometimes all the stiches and then rip rip rip it all out and start all over again. not fun:(

I tend to wind thread around my pinky, sometimes twice if it is especially slippery...and then over my forefinger. I can usually keep pretty even tension that way.

I hold yarn totally different- no wrapping- just over my forefinger...but it seems to work too!

I will add what alot of the others said- the more I practiced, the better my tension became...and when I get frustrated or my hands get tired- I go ahead and switch back to yarn (or thread- depending on what I had been using) it seems to help keep me from getting "burnt out"

I hold my thread the same as I do for yarn, over the pinky, through to the palm and back through, and over the index finger. I can keep my tenison pretty much where I want it that way. If anything I tend to work a lit tight.

I have found though that if my hands are dry I have a harder time maintaining the tension. I take a short break and put lotion on my poor hands and go back to work after it has soaked in. I can keep my tension so much better afterwards. It's a simple thing, but it really makes a difference.

A cramp in the hand is common for many people, but if you get that then you might want to wind your thread around your pinky one more time. There is a "correct" way of holding the thread. It's shown in all the learn-how-to-crochet books, but I've hardly known of a person who does it that way. Everyone holds it the way they feel comfortable. Remember, cramping is not good. That can lead you to all kinds of problems later on. You also need to take a small break here and there to give your hand a rest. Your eyes, too!! I weave my thread in and out of my fingers, without winding it around my pinky.

Archived