Round Ripple Question

Hello.

I am interested in making a round ripple (decent sized one to lay on bed) for the first time and I was curious about what yarn to use. I don't really want to use acrylic (though a blend might be ok if it looks nice) but I also know it will take a decent amount of yarn to make and cost is always an issue (I don't have a huge stash so I'd have to buy it all). So, I was wondering what people have used to make round ripples in the past and what they think looks best. Thanks!

I have made several and I have always used acrylic. I look for super soft yarns that are acrylic ( i love this yarn by hobby lobby is soft and washes beautifully.) I don't use any animal fibers as I an alergic to them. Good luck!!

I used acrylic for mine but I go with Caron SS, one because its easy to find and inexpensive (especially if your local wal-mart carries it) and two because its very soft when finished and has a slight sheen to it. It looks great no matter what stitch you use. and it holds its color nicely. Plus, they offer great colors from very bright to dark heathers.

I always use acrylics Red Heart Super Saver and Caron Simply Soft and the Red Heart may be scratchy at first but after a washing it is nice and soft. I've used those yarns for baby and kid's round ripples and have had no complaints yet lol.

I always use acrylics Red Heart Super Saver and Caron Simply Soft and the Red Heart may be scratchy at first but after a washing it is nice and soft. I've used those yarns for baby and kid's round ripples and have had no complaints yet lol.

Aelita~

What do you wash your Red Heart with to make it soft? I've never been able to get it to feel right!

I just use Tide or whatever detergent we have and I use the Downy Ball with fabric softner in it. When I dry it I put it on air dry or Ait fluff. It takes longer but it comes out so soft.

:cheerI always use acrylic yarn for my Round Ripples, mainly because I give them away but also because it is light in weight and easily washed and dried.

If you want to use Pure Wool, you will need to make sure it does not become too heavy.

Compare the length of a 100gm ball of acrylic to the same size ball of wool and you will see a great difference so that will equate to using more balls of the wool, hence the finished article will be much heavier.

The examples I have right now are, a 100gm ball of acrylic 8ply which has 310 metres and a 50gm ball of 8ply Merino wool which has 125 metres which is only 250m over 100gms.

You would use a lot more merino than Acrylic to achieve a large bed afghan.

I am making a RR right now, using all sorts of different yarn.

I was given a bag of yarn, in different shades of pink and a bit of white so I am turning it into a RR and it is looking good.

A couple of the yarns are fluffy and the last colour I am using is a lovely dusky pink which is only 4ply and the rest is 8ply so that is where I am going to put my Eyelash Type yarn so it will become thicker looking.

The finer yarn is OK to use for a couple of rows only, otherwise it will start to pull the sides into a bowl shape.

I would say, after all that, just go for the look you want but watch out for the weight.

:eekRemember, you will need to wash it at some stage.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

Thanks for all the advice, maybe acrylic won't be too bad. has anyone used cotton before w/ the RR?

Not sure about cotton, have never used it for an afghan only small projects. Also, you should join us in the CAL (Join anytime 6 to 24 point). All of the hookers there are more than willing to help you as you go! Thats how I started my first RR. :clap

I usually use Red Heart WW for my RR (you can see them on my blog if you like/link in the siggy). I use a "quality" detergent that has a fabric softener included and then I use a Snuggle dryer sheet for extra softness during in the dryer. It works great and softens up nicely:c9

Thanks for all the advice, maybe acrylic won't be too bad. has anyone used cotton before w/ the RR?

I've made a RR with cotton. It was not hard on my hands at all. It has been washed several times and has not shrunk. She washes it in cold water, dries it on fluff for a little while, then hangs it outside to finish drying. She lives in Florida and I wanted to make her an afghan that would 'breath' and not be too heavy and hot.

Here is a picture of it. It was made with Sugar 'N Cream yarn.

th_swimmingpooldone1a.jpg

I always use acrylic whatever brand I've found on sale, at thrift store or yardsale. I wash on delicate cycle and dry on the same. I use whatever bargain laundry detergent I have at the time but use a decent fabric softener like snuggles or downy--works great!.

:cheerI always use acrylic yarn for my Round Ripples, mainly because I give them away but also because it is light in weight and easily washed and dried.

If you want to use Pure Wool, you will need to make sure it does not become too heavy.

Compare the length of a 100gm ball of acrylic to the same size ball of wool and you will see a great difference so that will equate to using more balls of the wool, hence the finished article will be much heavier.

The examples I have right now are, a 100gm ball of acrylic 8ply which has 310 metres and a 50gm ball of 8ply Merino wool which has 125 metres which is only 250m over 100gms.

You would use a lot more merino than Acrylic to achieve a large bed afghan.

I am making a RR right now, using all sorts of different yarn.

I was given a bag of yarn, in different shades of pink and a bit of white so I am turning it into a RR and it is looking good.

A couple of the yarns are fluffy and the last colour I am using is a lovely dusky pink which is only 4ply and the rest is 8ply so that is where I am going to put my Eyelash Type yarn so it will become thicker looking.

The finer yarn is OK to use for a couple of rows only, otherwise it will start to pull the sides into a bowl shape.

I would say, after all that, just go for the look you want but watch out for the weight.

:eekRemember, you will need to wash it at some stage.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

I say whatever Colleen says MUST be right, why? Because she is so kind to share her pattern with anyone that asks, and will help you even if needed, she is the bomb!! :cheer

I used acrylic for mine but I go with Caron SS, one because its easy to find and inexpensive (especially if your local wal-mart carries it) and two because its very soft when finished and has a slight sheen to it. It looks great no matter what stitch you use. and it holds its color nicely. Plus, they offer great colors from very bright to dark heathers.

I agree 100%! Caron Simply Soft is a great way to go. :crocheting

I have used Vanna's Choice as well and that works nicely.

Archived