Stash/Scraps

Yes and no. I'm the same as you, except I try buying what I need as I need it. I do have a small pile of extras and if I can roll them, they're going into a container that'll fit under my bed.

Wow, I'm very envious of you! I also live in a small apartment, but I still have a large plastic tub full of stash/scrap yarn. The scrap afghan sounds like an excellent idea, so maybe I will do that, too...

Wow, I'm very envious of you! I also live in a small apartment, but I still have a large plastic tub full of stash/scrap yarn. The scrap afghan sounds like an excellent idea, so maybe I will do that, too...

The scraps are also good for charity projects. I don't have the time right now to put together complete items by myself, but I've committed to squares for Sissie44's lapghan request. I've also done a few squares for others and that helps get rid of stash too.

There actually are people who have stash rooms! Also people with large stashes. I have a large stash and can "shop" out of it, and it really is wonderful. I must say though, I only started building it 2 years ago and I'm in my mid 50's. I was never able to do it before. It still seems kind of weird to know I can make what I want and not need to rush out to get the yarn because I probably have it.

I actually have a pretty large stash for the size of my "house." I live full time in a 36 ft. 5th wheel trailer that only has about 300 sq. feet of space. I have learned to "stash" my stash in unique places. I have one large plastic tub that sits behind my chair, I have a lot of yarn and finished projects underneath my couch. It lifts up so I can store a bunch of stuff there. I have a shoe holder thing in my closet that holds more yarn and thread. I have a couple of decorative wicker baskets that sit on top of my dresser that hold more yarn, and I store more finished projects and yarn under my bed which also lifts up for storage. :D Fortunately, yarn is light, so weight is not too much of an issue for us.

I don't have a very large stash. I think I currently have less than ten skeins of yarn (most of which are partially used). I'm trying to get into a system like yours, which is why I joined up with the stashbusting thing. It motivates me to not buy more yarn, and to use up what I have. I almost feel bad for not using up the yarn! For me it's almost like not getting my full money's worth.

I've got to admit though, it would be neat to have a whole room of yarn. Instead of having to go to the store to start a project I'd just walk in and pick something out!

Heh. I'm currently killing my stash. I'm making endless morning stars and when i run out of yarn I'll make a blanket.... or six.

I use small scraps (at least four inches) for my "trash ball" Its kinda impressive now.... its about six inches across I'd guess, someday I'm gonna make it into something.

I have major hoarding issues, so I'm willing to bet a trash ball is not a normal habit... :lol

Most of the time, I don't have a reason when I buy yarn, so you could probably call all of my yarn my stash. Plus, I save many of the little ends from weaving in ends or the ridiculously short bits of leftover ball (And I mean short, as in under 5 inches) to tie together for a scrap ball. If and when I make something out of it, I'll be able to see my yarn "history" in reverse: "That was from when I made the blanket, that's from where I was making doll hair," ect. ;)

Edit:

I use small scraps (at least four inches) for my "trash ball" Its kinda impressive now.... its about six inches across I'd guess, someday I'm gonna make it into something.

I have major hoarding issues, so I'm willing to bet a trash ball is not a normal habit... :lol

Just noticed you said this. I don't know if it's normal, but you're not alone. :D

Most of the time, I don't have a reason when I buy yarn, so you could probably call all of my yarn my stash. Plus, I save many of the little ends from weaving in ends or the ridiculously short bits of leftover ball (And I mean short, as in under 5 inches) to tie together for a scrap ball. If and when I make something out of it, I'll be able to see my yarn "history" in reverse: "That was from when I made the blanket, that's from where I was making doll hair," ect. ;)

Edit:

Just noticed you said this. I don't know if it's normal, but you're not alone. :D

OMG!

The whole History in reverse is exactly why i think its so fun! :manyheart

My ball is getting big, and its gonna get a lot bigger, since I have a bunch of squares to weave right now.

My stash is quite large (a couple of hundred skeins), but the problem is I don't have more than three of but a handful of them, and the rest of them are, for the most part, onesies and twosies. Well, except for my collection of Lion Brand Suede. I have a dozen each of five or six different colors of that stuff, and I have six or eight of a handful of different varieties of eyelash yarn for making fuzzy things like amigurumi animals. My stash is a scrapghan maker's dream, but for any projects requiring any large amount of any one thing, I've got to go buy what I need.

I've heard of that...they usually call it a "Magic Ball." I was thinking of doing that, too, with my odds and ends and then perhaps make a large afghan or a wild, multi-colored sweater.

I know a great project to use up those partial (or one) skeins of acrylic yarn - The Handmade Afghans to Thank Our Armed Forces Project.

Okay, I'm a big fan because I founded it around 4 years ago (figured full discloser is good).

We gather 6"x9" rectangles from lots of people and make them into afghans for the military members wounded in Afghanistan and Iraq. No quotas and only a few "rules"

Check out the HAP website at www.rectangle6x9.org

And yes, nice looking striped rectangles are accepted......

In my 20's and 30's I never really had a "stash". It was buy as I go for crochet projects. Then I hit mid 40's and my "hoarding gene" kicked in and I began to accumulate stashes. Now with the economy tanking (my purchasing power with it), I am very thankful for all those tubs of SAVED yarn and fabric. I am having a great time elbow deep in piles of comforting yarn, matching colors and textures for all sorts of afghans, bags, sweaters and toys. (...huge silly grin as I "cuddle" arms full of fuzzies...).

I've been using my small leftovers to spool knit and then with the cord I'm crocheting (with Q hook):dog a comfy mat for my fur babies to cuddle on. It's slow going but it's low on the priority list too. I usually keep a ball made of leftovers and my spool in my purse so when I'm stuck somewhere I can work on it for a while. Here is a picture of it. I didn't realize until I uploaded the pictures that my Nellie Belle snuck in. What a ham! LOL!2403991660_4429050349.jpg?v=0

I just finished a scrap-ghan for my son. Its camo and 3 different browns, Ive been using my stash to make comfortghan squares. Hubby told me Tuesday night how proud he was of me for using what I already have.... lol So yesterday, I got some Magenta and verigated Cherry Chip for a purse for myself, or a tote.... lol I havent decided.

He said last night " I will never tell you how proud of you I am again..." :lol:lol I WAS doing good at using my scraps!

I've been using my small leftovers to spool knit and then with the cord I'm crocheting (with Q hook):dog a comfy mat for my fur babies to cuddle on. It's slow going but it's low on the priority list too. I usually keep a ball made of leftovers and my spool in my purse so when I'm stuck somewhere I can work on it for a while. Here is a picture of it. I didn't realize until I uploaded the pictures that my Nellie Belle snuck in. What a ham! LOL!2403991660_4429050349.jpg?v=0

AWWW!

Chichi-baby!

I've heard of that...they usually call it a "Magic Ball." I was thinking of doing that, too, with my odds and ends and then perhaps make a large afghan or a wild, multi-colored sweater.

My mom named mine.We have "trash dog" (Her sheep dog, who tears up trash bags) "Trash girl" (My cousin.... it seems mean, btu the nickname is VERY fitting) and when i started making this ball, she decided it was officially "Trash ball"

But I just told her that my yarn ball doesn't appreciate being lumped in with evil!cousin.... so she's decided my ball is now named "fred"

:P

:crocheting:yarn I have to admit that my stash is very big and I love to go looking in my yarn shop lol:yarn to find a pattern and yarn to make what ever I want even at 3AM. I have been building my stash for a long time. and now with times the way they are I am glad I have what I have. and Hubby is sooooooo sweet every once in a while I am allowed to go get new yarn :cheer

Archived