Weaving in ends......

I had never heard of weaving in ends before this site! Once again I am suffering deep feelings of inadequacy, boo hoo. :nworthy

:yes

Don't feel so bad, I hadn't heard of it either till I was watching a knitting show on TV over Christmas and watched her do it to a scarf - I was both shocked and amazed...

Shocked that I'd been crocheting all this time and had never heard of it (although I have no formal training)

And amazad that with all the patterns I've read I couldn't remember one time where it said "weave in ends" and not just "finish off" :yarn

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like to work with motifs rather than large pieces. I weave about 3 inches, then bury that under the next round and clip my ends as I go. I don't use a needle and have found it is easier to use a smaller crochet hook than the one I am using for the pattern.

:yes

Don't feel so bad, I hadn't heard of it either till I was watching a knitting show on TV over Christmas and watched her do it to a scarf - I was both shocked and amazed...

Shocked that I'd been crocheting all this time and had never heard of it (although I have no formal training)

And amazad that with all the patterns I've read I couldn't remember one time where it said "weave in ends" and not just "finish off" :yarn

:eek:think That is funny I can't remember a pattern that didn't say finish off and weave in ends. Anyway I absolutely hate weaving in ends. I asked my grandmother (who taught me to crochet) if there was an easier way like just knotting it and cutting it off and of course she laughed at me and told me if I wanted my work to fall apart then go right ahead and do it that way. She also told me that I could crochet over the ends but of course that was risky business too, because after several washings the ends that had been crocheted in would eventually work themselves loose and possibly cause your work to fall apart. So, I weave my ends in using a needle :( which I absolutely detest, but try to do it as I go along so I am not overwhelmed at the end of a project.

Maybe I don't understand this properly? When you do a round in a granny square and change colour, you leave a long yarn tail, which you go back and sew into the square with a needle?????

Good grief, crochet wouldn't be worth doing if I had to do that! :lol I just leave about an inch or an inch and a half and crochet over it, using the hook to hook it in or under other stitches so it's in there firmly.

I had never heard of weaving in ends before this site! Once again I am suffering deep feelings of inadequacy, boo hoo. :nworthy

Basically, when you finish the last round of the square, you leave a really long tail and use that to sew them together instead of getting new yarn. Any other ends would be worked in however you normally do them.

I absolutely hate working ends in, in any way. The one good thing is that it is easier to hide them in a crocheted project, rather than a knitted one because crochet is usually thicker. In knitting projects the only way I can do it is to use my needle and work it through the stitches on the wrong side and that makes double sided projects a problem. (you can still see the ends, but they're well secured) Crochet is comparativly a piece of cake because the stitches have many loops in them and I can work the ends down into the stitches, completely rendering them invisible.

Because I hate weaving them in so much I've started crocheting over them as I go...I can deal with 1 or 2 per square but not one per each color yarn changed:yay

Grannysquares.jpg

:hook okay this is how far I got over the weekend - kids you know

I have to say, I took the advice offered here and weaved in everything as I went and now I look at them and imagine all the wonderful things I can do with them and not think "god I can't believe I have all that work to do yet!"

I'm thinking of making a little swing jacket for the birthday of a friends baby - now I need to go find a pattern!:yay

P.S This is a variation on square # 64 from"99 Squares to crochet"

I'm 90% done with my son's Babette blanket. I've been 90% done for...um...3 months. I can't get myself to touch it. I am so burned out on all the squares, and it can't be put together as I go as I do some square swapping after it's finished so it will be just perfect.

126 squares just pushed me right over the edge. It's probably because I started his right after I finished my daughter's. :(

It really is an awesome pattern (the Babette). I've had a ton of fun with it. I did my 5 year old daughter's in 5 weeks in the fall, rushing to get it done before artery surgery in December. I started my 6 year old son's right after I got home (the surgery was out of state) I definitely was not, am not, ready for a project that big in the first place.

I do need to get it done though. I'm so close yet so far away LOL. I won't let my daughter have hers until my son's is done, just to be fair to them both.

You know, our 1 yr and 3 yr olds will be sharing a room as soon as the 1 yr is old enough for the toddler bed - I bet doing one with purple mc and one with pink mc would be awesome - is the pattern small enough for a toddler bed/ can it be made small enough if its not?:yarn

Lord knows I don't mean to complain...:yes

[rant]

but my poor fingers are SSSOOOOO sore :yell from pushing and pulling my little needle through the cotton to weave those stupid ends..... cotton is HORRIBLE to weave in :(

*sniff*

okay. i'm done :yarn

Lord knows I don't mean to complain...:yes

[rant]

but my poor fingers are SSSOOOOO sore :yell from pushing and pulling my little needle through the cotton to weave those stupid ends..... cotton is HORRIBLE to weave in :(

*sniff*

okay. i'm done :yarn

I hope you found a large, metal yarn needle with a BLUNT end. That is what I use, and I don't have any problems with my fingers hurting. I teach a granny square class at JoAnn's and I tell my students to get the one with the blunt end. It weaves through the yarn really well, and doesn't catch on any of the threads of the yarn. Glad you had fun weaving in the ends though!!! Great job!!!! :clap

Well, I started out with the blunt needle and it didnt seem as if it was going to hold tight enough so I switched over to the sharp one and have been paying the price!

Ouch!

Because I hate weaving them in so much I've started crocheting over them as I go...I can deal with 1 or 2 per square but not one per each color yarn changed:yay

I hate them also. On my newest rr that I am working on, I have tried to crochet over all the ends. And it does work.

I'll have to try this more often.

Do what I did...train your significant other. Tip: works better if they are recovering from surgery and can't run.

LOL

I wish i had someone to train.... but I weave mine while I watch TV at night. It doesn;t bother me too much.... it just takes so long!

I don't mind the weaving too much. It gives me a break from the crocheting of the motifs. I tend to take motifs with me while flying, so it really breaks up the flying time to constantly be changing from a hook to a needle.

I may be one of the weirdest people in the universe, but in general, it doesn't bother me. It's the perfect job to do when you're sitting, watching TV. But my mom hates it also. In fact, my mom gives me her blankets to weave the ends in. :lol Patty

I'm with you, it's not the most fun thing to do but if I'm tired and might mess up counting (or other little details like that :lol) then weaving yarn ends is the thing I do. I think I sometimes do it a little too well cause I don't want anything to come loose but if I have to un-crochet it I sometimes can't figure out how I hid the end. (Un-crochet: That's my new made-up word of the day since I can't 'frog' it until I've found that end that I just hid so well.)

I'm not too good on ww cotton yarns though. Does anyone have a good hint on how to weave those in? It may just be me but I seem to have a harder time with those. :blush

~ Debby

I'm not too good on ww cotton yarns though. Does anyone have a good hint on how to weave those in? It may just be me but I seem to have a harder time with those. :blush

~ Debby

See, thats what I"M talking about!:yes

The little granny squares i'm making are ww cotton flowers surrounded by patons canadiana - no problem at all with the patons but the COTTON is a BLEEP and a half!

after struggling with the cotton, I actually don't half mind weaving in the acrylic yarn!!!

See, thats what I"M talking about!:yes

The little granny squares i'm making are ww cotton flowers surrounded by patons canadiana - no problem at all with the patons but the COTTON is a BLEEP and a half!

after struggling with the cotton, I actually don't half mind weaving in the acrylic yarn!!!

Okay, can anyone out there help the two of us? I've even gone to the extreme of untwisting/splitting some of the cotton and weaving part of it in one way and the other part another way. This seems to work pretty well, doesn't make the weaving areas so thick, and stays in really well when washed. :blush

I know there's the Russian Splice but does anyone have other hints for to use on the ww cottons?

~ Debby

Wish I could help with the cotton weaving, but it is miserable.

Patty, Dear Patty - would you like to weave my ends in? I will gladly send them to you LOL!!!

I just finished a circle vest that was all done from the right side and in 3 colors. That meant every row around the neck had to be ended and restarted. ENDS - BAH HUMBUG!!!

I have used sewing thread of the same color as the yarn to sew a few inches of very small stitches over and into the yarn ends. This prevents the ends from working themselves out over time and several washes. The thread doesn't really show if you use small enough stitches and try to work them under or behind the crochet stitches.

Archived