Mothers' Day Gifts?

So what are you making for Mothers' Day gifts this year? Yes, it's on May 11 — about 6 weeks away. Heads up, crocheters!

My sweet mother-in-law is the only one I have to gift this year and I am thinking of a pretty thread doily. She likes handmade gifts and has always been so gracious and appreciative of all the things I have made for her over the years. Every time we see her she has out either the embroidered towels I made for her or the ones with crocheted lace, or both. It really makes me feel good. She has a very elegant dining table and hutch and a pretty doily would set it off.

What about you? Will you be crocheting anything for Mothers' Day?

I won't be crocheting anything for Mother's Day. My mom is a crocheter, so I am giving her lots and lots of yarn and she can do the crocheting! I bought lots of "I Love This Yarn" when CraftsEtc.com had it on sale, and I also have several bags of mill ends for her too. She crochets almost constantly and gives it all away!

I have a hard time coming up with gifts for my mom. I know for sure that I'm at least giving her a potholder or two because she loved the one I made for her a while back. I may see if I can make her an afgan, and possibly get my sister to help with it. Not sure what it'd be like though.

I'm thinking that I may make a shawl for my Mom. I made her a rectangle shawl a while back and she loves it. This one will possible be the half moon shawl. She had a similar shawl years ago and loved it, but she wore it out, so I think this will be a nice surprise for her.

I am working on a Seraphina Shawl for my Mom. She crochets and knits, but she only does afghans. She taught me to crochet, so I thought doing a shawl for her would be a nice gift.

I am also hoping to finish up scarves for my sister in law, sister, and Grandma.

I'm doing those in that ribbon yarn, more of a fashion statement than for warmth, especially giving it to them in May and living in Texas!

If I can't finish all these projects (being only able to sit for an hour at a time with my back injury), I'm not sure what I'm going to do!

Maybe give them an I.O.U.

My mother is dead, so I was thinking of making something to give my sisters in memory of my mother. The problem would be that we'd all have a big cryfest if I do, so I don't know if I should forget doing this or not. I think I should do it anyway.

Mom loved the symbolism of the butterfly. She had a butterfly put on her headstone. Chrysalis ... new life... ressurection. I could make us some butterflies.

My mother is dead, so I was thinking of making something to give my sisters in memory of my mother. The problem would be that we'd all have a big cryfest if I do, so I don't know if I should forget doing this or not. I think I should do it anyway.

Mom loved the symbolism of the butterfly. She had a butterfly put on her headstone. Chrysalis ... new life... ressurection. I could make us some butterflies.

I am sorry to hear that you have lost your mom.:hug I know how hard Father's Day can be for my sisters and I since we lost Dad.

The butterflies sound like a wonderful idea. I know when I was little, I remember that our church always had a tradition on mother's day to give every mother a coursage...red rose if your mother was still living and a white rose if she had passed away. You could always get each of your sisters a white rose in a bud vase and crochet a beautiful butterfly to go with it.

Probably not. I made FBBs for my mom and MIL two years ago.

I just did the Fit to be Tied bad for MIL for Valentine's. Maybe I'll make my mom one but she probably won't use it as she like big bags.

I really don't have time to crochet anything else.

This year I was thinking of making shadow box type things with a photo of my daughter.

Both my mother and MIL are gone, so I am thinking of making a pretty doily or some kitchen item for my only sister, who was sort of like a mother to me when I was younger. I made her a dishtowel, dishcloth and potholder several years ago, and she really liked it. She used to crochet a lot, but once she started quilting, she sticks with that. I could make her a pretty shawl, since she never learned to follow a pattern and made mostly ripple afghans.

I lost my mother a month ago & this will be my first Mother's Day without her. I would like to do something for my sisters, but my oldest sister is such a tomboy that it doesn't seem like a good fit for her. I do have a set of placemats/coasters that I need to finish & they would match well with my younger sister's kitchen.

Of course, I could do something for my MIL - a pretty shawl sounds like something she'd enjoy.

It seems several of us will be going through our first Mothers' Day without our mothers. Mine passed away two days after Thanksgiving last year. Hugs and prayers to all of you in the same position...

In the meantime, I do have a wonderful mother-in-law who is very dear to me. And like some of the rest of you there are other family members who might appreciate a special, handmade gift at this time. Don't get me wrong — I am not trying to guilt anyone into crocheting a gift if you don't have time or you think your loved one would prefer something else. But after all, this is a crochet board and I just wondered what the rest of you might be making! ;)

Archived