stitch counts on patterns

Is it just me or are there others out there that really like it when pattern designers put stitch counts at the end of each row. I know I like it so I can make sure I havent omitted or added where I shouldnt have.

was going to do a poll but not sure how. If someone else wants to poll this question please feel free to do so. The results might help our pattern designers out there.

Depends on the pattern, or how difficult it is. I have run across patterns that actually gave an incorrect number to chain in the beginning, which threw the pattern stitch off on the first row, so I had to alter it.

I like to have the stitch count at the end of the row also. Some times it's too easy to mis read the instructions and you don't know you're off (without a stitch count) until you're several rows beyond where the mistake was made.

It depends... if the stitch count is right, it's helpful, but if it isn't right, all it does is confuse the heck out of me.

Also, not every row needs one if the pattern doesn't change.

Putting stitch counts on some designs would be a designers nightmare. Complicated stitch patterns and combinations such as are used in some doilies could be as complicated as writing out the pattern.

I agree if the stitch count is off then it does mess with your mind, i have found a few errors that way, however, IF the pattern is written correctly it sure is nice to have the stitch count to keep yourself on track whether the pattern is easy or not. I think sometimes pattern designers dont think it will matter or dont think of it at all. They have made the design and know it can be done so they dont add the #. Plus sometimes they are so good at what they do they forget that there are some of us who arent as good or maybe as sure of ourselves and need a little boost. lol

I like stitch counts too! that way I know if i'm doing it right. and can fix it if my count doesn't add up. I also think yarn subsitituions, and yarn weight would be good. I've got a michaels, wal-mart and a couple of yarn shops in my town, but some yarns arent' available here.

Usually, I go by any special instructions... like if you are NOT supposed to crochet into the turning chain, or if you increase or decrease... otherwise, if you're just doing the same stitch on every row, and don't add or skip one.. then the count will stay the same.

If there are a number of increases or decreases at the beginning or end of a row, I keep a pad and pencil handy and mark down each one.. and count the stitches every few rows to make sure I have the correct number. But on more complicated patterns, yes... a stitch number is very handy.

Archived