Bathing Suit and Tank Top Patterns

klouised

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow those are beautiful! I especially love the tankini. Good you went into making patterns, that would suck for crocheting to not be fun anymore. How long have you been crocheting?

I've been trying to learn how to use my digital camera I received as a birthday present last month. It's a Hewlitt Packard, 5.1 pixel. It's suppose to be top of the line.

The problem I'm having is putting it on photo bucket or "hello" to put them on here, so it may still be awhile before I can show you the bikinis I've made.

I have been doing the Farmer's Market every Thursday and having fun with it. I guess I don't understand it when people say "you do nice work or these are really nice" but they don't buy. I design and crochet purses too.

My question to you is, why do you use cotton thread to crochet the bikinis? Knit 1 magazine is using Micro Spun to make the ones they show in the magazine. I tried Micro Spun but it separates too much when hooking the needle through the hoop. It is a definite separate 3 ply and when you stick the hook through the loop, it sometimes picks up one of the 3 ply threads (very frustrating). So I use the Baby Soft Yarn by Lion Brand. I use a small "D" hook with double crochet and it seems to work well.

I noticed on the site My Bikini Brazil they use 98% cotton/2% elastine.

Have you ever heard of such a yarn?

I found some Magic Thread .5m that I think I am going to use when I make the back of the bottom bikini so it will hold more.

What do you think? :think

I use cotton thread, because it is better than yarn. Acrylic yarn stretches something terrible once it gets wet. It's a known fact that yarn bathing suits can't be worn in the water, only modeled on the beach. I can't use cotton yarn, because that would be like a giant dish cloth soaking up all the water, and zoop! there goes the suit down on the ground. LOL. I use a #10 steel crochet hook because it keeps the stitches tight. That means no stretching, and long endurance. My friends and I have even worn these to water parks all day. No problem! You have total freedom when you wear one of my designs. I want it to be like you are wearing a regular bathing suit.

The elasticised thread is great! I've heard about it. The problem is I can't get my hands on it, right now. I plan on trying it in the future. My question is this. Will the elastic in the thread hold up for a long time? I'm wondering about that, because regular elastic thread for sewing wears out in a short time. I would like to know how strong that is. How about you try it out, wear it for awhile, and let me know?

The key with my designs is that the stitches stay tight, so the pieces are close to the body, and therefore no sagging happens. I had a guy who owned a crochet store give me a tip. He said to take quilting thread and sew along the edges of the suite to give it that extra strength. I thought that was great. I line my bathing suits with nylon fabric, too.

I've personally heard that thread works great...although I'll let the designer really answer your question, since I'm sure she is more experienced in such matters. :)

To me, thread is a prettier, less bulky look. I have heard of thinner-than-worsted-weight yarns being made with a very small percentage of lycra in them...from Elann.com or elsewhere. People have started using those for bathing suits also.

Thanks for your comments Rachel! We must be on the same wave length, or something. Now, don't sell yourself short, because you know a lot about thread, too, since you work with it all the time. I know you love thread as much as I do.:knit:knitWe're just 2 cross eyed threadies crocheting all the time.

Hi Kristina,

I guess anyone who has the summer Knit 1 magazine and makes the bikini and tankini will be surprised if they step in and out of the water won't they! :eek Because the Micro Spun yarn is 100% acrylic.

The Baby Soft yarn by Lion Brand is 60% acrylic and 40% nylon. I picked it because I know nylon is very strong and with it having 40% nylon in it I'm hoping it will hold up. My 15 yr old daughter is my model so I'll have her step into the shower/bathtub and see how it holds up. I'll let you know the outcome. :)

What if you lined the suit with a satin or silk lining? Wouldn't that help prevent it from stretching when wet? Just a thought I had.

What if you lined the suit with a satin or silk lining? Wouldn't that help prevent it from stretching when wet? Just a thought I had.

I don't know that satin or silk would be good in the water, especially the silk. You can get the stretchy bathing suit material from JoAnns or any fabric store to use as a lining, though. That would probably work, and be more robust in all water situations. Oh, and don't forget - there's also the chlorine in swimming pools to consider! :eek

I don't know that satin or silk would be good in the water, especially the silk. You can get the stretchy bathing suit material from JoAnns or any fabric store to use as a lining, though. That would probably work, and be more robust in all water situations. Oh, and don't forget - there's also the chlorine in swimming pools to consider! :eek

But you wouldn't want stretchy lining, that would defeat the purpose of preventing the yarn from stretching when wet. Maybe an acrylic or other synthetic material. Something to prevent the yarn from stretching when wet. I don't worry about chlorine in my pool....it's a saline (salt) pool. No green hair, dried skin, discolored bathing suits or red eyes.

You do need the suit to stretch a bit. You just don't want it to stretch so much it sags. If the suit didn't stretch at all, then it would gap in places, and cut into you in other areas. The fabric needs to have a bit of stretch to work with the thread, instead of against it. I sometimes use lycra (bathing suit material), BUT I like nylon better. That is material for slips, or linings in bathing suits, or clothing. It's stretchable, strong, AND it's light weight. Sometimes, the lycra can get too thick, and it bunches up. Only get the lighter weight lycra. Many times, I make swimsuits with an open weave. I use a lining material with a pattern or a really cool color, so it can show through. Use matching beads on the suit, and you have a very pretty bathing suit. Look at that! I'm giving all my secrets away. :wink Satin or silk? Hmmm. All I can say, is that they aren't stretchable. Lycra or some nylons can give you the look of satin. There are some light weight stretchable cottons that are pretty nice, too. Don't forget. You have to be careful what fabrics to use if you are going to wear the suit in the ocean. Salt water can hurt some fabrics. The ones named above have never given me any problems.

The key to a crocheted swimsuit fitting you nicely, is to pull the straps up tight. It'll feel like it's a LITTLE too tight in the beginning, BUT the suit stretches a bit and will be perfect later. That mainly is for the bottoms. OR you can tighten them up later. Don't double knot the straps if you are going into the water. It's almost impossible to get a wet double knot undone. I learned that one REAL fast.

Thanx for your input Kristina. Guess I'll just have to make one to see for myself how it holds up. I do have some Anny Blatt yarns that are stretchy that I bought for making bathing suits. I'll give it a go with one of those.

GREAT! Let me know how it turns out. I'm very interested. I don't know if you can call me an expert. I just know what works for me. I'm always open to hear what works for other people, because there's always room for improvement.

I'd like to try to make a tankini. Not sure if I have time this summer but we'll see. I'll probably try a cover up first. I love the little skirt at crochet me, maybe I'll try. Anyway I love your suits, they look so pretty & flattering! I'm not a heavy person but too old for a bikini (44), plus after bf, gravity makes a bikini a poor choice for me. :lol:eek

LOL. I so understand that! I used to have a website where I took orders for these swimsuits. I didn't have anyone to model for me. I didn't want to ask anyone and embaress them, so I decided that I should be willing to do it myself. Well, I had just turned 30, and put on a few pounds. (More than I care to admit) I would only let my mother see me in the swimsuits, and she was the one taking the pictures. She would have me suck in my gut to where it felt like my ribs were going to poke through, tuck in my butt, bend my leg so no cellulite would show, lift my chin, and put my shoulders back to where I felt like I was going to break in two. While I was doing this, I wondered where Candid Camera was. :blush I had to be the one to see the pictures first. Let me tell you, it was a humbling experience. I've never been one to think much about my looks, but that put me in such a shock, that I still haven't gotten over it. The funny thing was that a lot of the pictures ended up looking like I was trying to look sexy. NOT! I was just trying to look presentable. LOL. I haven't worn a bikini since then. Reality took a big bite out of my fantasy world.

Archived