Which two books would you choose?

I am going to order two of these books and need help deciding which two would be the best. I have a limited amount of space, so two is all that I can reasonably get away with right now (at least until I can accidentely lose something of dh's :devil ).Here is my list:

365 Stitches a Year Perpetual Calendar-Jean Leinhauser & Rita Weiss

Crochet Stitch Bible-Betty Burnden

Encyclopedia of Crochet-Donna Kooler

200 Crochet Tips, Tecniquies & Trade Secrets-Jan Eaton

Crochet Answer Book-Edie Eckman

Thanks for any help. :hug

:lol:lol

I have the Crochet Answer book, and its small, so that's a good thing for you, hee. I find it very handy when I need to read through something confusing, and the diagrams are very informative, too.

I've not used (seen, but not had for reference) the others, and I would like 'em all, too!

Good luck!

well i can't tell you what oyu should get but i will tell you what i would get if i could

my very first pick is number one on your list

i have wanted that one since i saw it up top!!!! and its small so that would be a good thing for you.

my second pick would be

just because!

well i can't tell you what oyu should get but i will tell you what i would get if i could

my very first pick is number one on your list

i have wanted that one since i saw it up top!!!! and its small so that would be a good thing for you.

my second pick would be

just because!

What she said. Donna Kooler's book has patterns and edgings. 365 Book has good close ups of the stitches. If you want to make afghans this is a good book.

Crochet Stitch Bible is also very good because there are stitch diagrams and also motifs. Maybe save up or have someone give it to you as a gift.

Try to get 3 books.

i have all the books you have listed. if you do alot of afghans, go for the 365 stitches. if not, the stitch bible is a good choice. the crochet answer book is (IMO) better than the 200 tips and secrets. good luck!

It isn't on your list, but one I'd like to recommend is the Crocheter's Companion--I have it, and it is such a useful quick reference when I'm drawing a mental blank on how to do something. I keep it near unless I'm in the midst of a project (for example, a bunch of granny squares) that I've memorized in my mind and hands.

I only have 2 of the books on the list, but here's what I think of them:

Crochet Stitch Bible-Betty Burnden - I really like it and find it VERY helpful! It has great photos and I LOVE that it has diagrams! I highly recommend this one and am very happy that I bought it!

200 Crochet Tips, Tecniquies & Trade Secrets-Jan Eaton - I wish I wouldn't have bought it. It has some good tips, but NO diagrams and very basic techniques that I have found in other books and websites. Not worth the money in my opinion.

Though I do not have any of your other choices, I did recently purchase Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Crochet. It has a ton of stitches with charts, a number of motifs and edging, information on thread and tunisian crochet and even 3 filet charts. I was impressed by the pictures, they are large and in color. The book is only 1/2 inch thick but is just shy of 12"x9". I am very happy with the book, myself. I hope that helps in making your choice.

Alice

PS-- RVing sounds fun, but where do you keep your yarn stash?

Get the 365 perpetual calendar,...I've been drooling over that one since I first saw an ad...and read the rave reviews on the 'ville.

I have the crochet st bible and the encyclopedia of crochet. Both are excellent books, worth the cost...That said...the bible is a more compact shape...but fatter...better diagrams. good range of stitches and motifs. The encyclopedia is full size, slightly thinner...mine's soft cover...has a few actual projects and an excellent section on tunisan (afghan) crochet stitches. They both have a good range of stitches...there is some overlap (especially with the "basic" stitches...they both have some motifs...

All that, and I still don't know which one I'd recommend more highly....the bible one has a coil binding, so it does stay open better. But I use them both, almost equally...the bible, maybe slightly more.

HTH

have fun with your new books

Thank you all for your input. :hug I don't make too many afghans, I guess I get bored too quickly and I'm usually where it is warm. I do make quite a few wearables and would like to get better at those. I also am looking for helpful hints to improve my skills and to challenge myself with new techniques.

I got the Encyclopedia of Crochet and the 365 Stitch Perpetual Calendar a bit ago.

I LOVE!!!!! the Encyclopedia of Crochet. The pictures are gorgeous and I tend to fall asleep looking over the book again and again. The diagrams are clear and I've been pleased with the guides.

The calendar is great. Super pictures and worth the money.

I got both books on Amazon and am pleased as punch.

BTW - I had the flu last week and knew I was really sick when I couldn't look at the Encyclopedia of Crochet cause I was too weak to hold it up and turn the pages. Now that is not feeling well.

Archived