Is Hancock eliminating their yarn?

CLLinda

I went into our Hancock and so much was on sale. They had clearance bins and it was 40 to 80 percent off. The back wall was completely taken down, where the yarn used to be and then the rest was 30 percent off.

I sure don't like it if it is true.

:manyheart

Our local Hancock store is getting an overhaul - they have posted signs about the updating (I will admit the store looks very dated and unattractive) ... perhaps that's what will happen with yours. Our yarn bins are disheveled as well, and stock is very low at the moment.

I was just going to ask if any has shopped there online store, their yarn is cheap. Still figuring out the shipping.

I didn't know about the Chapter 11. That store in Crystal Lake only opened maybe 2 years ago, in the same location the old Michael's was. Their prices are higher than Hobby Lobby and that is right down the street, less than a mile away. So at least for yarn, I think people visit the HL first, then Hancocks. And now that Walmart is moved way on the other end of town, people probably visit HL more than ever.

:manyheart

The Hancock fabric stores went out of business in North Texas. They are gone!!! It's a shame because now we only have 2 places to buy fabric....JoAnn's and a small selection at Hobby Lobby. I never bought yarn there anyway....the prices were higher and selection was poor. It's like they threw it in there as an afterthought. I think they could have done a lot better if they didn't start carrying all of that imported furniture. At ours it took up the front half of the store. I did like their fabrics.

Ditto here. The local Hancocks, which had been around for many years, closed up shop completely. There are only 2 or 3 stores left in the general OKC area and none of them are anywhere near me. (OKC is a BIG spread- out town). Thank goodness for Hobby Lobby and Michaels!

One opened here recently (well, maybe a year ago) and soon after they were open, the yarns were on sale like that. But now, they definitely still have a full stock. Well, of Lion stuff anyway. Last time I was in about a month ago there was very little stuff in the clearance pile.

But, who knows. From the sounds of it, any of the stores could change! I'd think they'd do well here since there is no Joann Fabrics, only Hobby Lobby and Wal Mart to compete with. I like to go there first when looking for fabric, because they definitely have more.

I don't think they're going out of business...they're starting to carry new products. Right now at my job we're making curtains for Hancock's Fabrics because they're going to be carrying warm window fabric. This is actually through the company that makes the product, but if they were going out of business I don't they would be spending all that money!

The women at my local store said they had closed the older and less profitable stores. I know they closed their store in Arlington Heights, but they have a Joann Superstore and maybe Hancock couldn't compete with it.

Archived