Wavy Gravy Rasta "Tam" Snood

The Stupendumondomentulous...

WAVY GRAVY RASTA "TAM" SNOOD!

By Maryann Cummings

May, 2005

Use the finished product for whatever you like, but please don't redistribute the pattern! Thanks!

rasta.gif

The many uses of the Wavy Gravy Snood:

• Vegetable strainer

• Summer hairpart sunburn preventer

• Autumn/mild winter head warmer

• Bad hair day reverser

• Hiding place when pulled over by cop (no! Bad me!)

• Baret (looks surprisingly cute worn this way)

• Wet-hair-when-you-don't-have-time-to-dry holder & air drier

• Small shopping bag in a pinch

• Emergency money concealment

rastabear.gif

Alrighty, then! I posted the photos in the Show & Tell section, and a lot of people were very interested in my pattern, and in testing my pattern, so here it is!

I don't know how badly flawed it may be, or how well I write patterns, since this is my very first. I've checked and rechecked but I'm still miles away from certain about how well it turned out. Please feel free to critique and please please point out any errors if you try this pattern! Seriously, go Simon Cowell on me if you want to.

---------------------------------------------

Dimensions: 23 1/2" in circumerence at the band, 10" in diameter (31 1/2" circumference) at the (oversized) crown, 9" deep (crown pulled out and included, band not included), 5 1/2" deep (crown and band not included), band is 1 1/2" wide.

Materials:

~Hooks in sizes K and I, or whatever hook you need to obtain the gauge, and a hook one or two sizes smaller.

~Acrylic worsted weight yarn in two colors. I can't say exactly how much I used but I'd say you should have about 3 or 4 oz. (half a skeinish) of the main color (MC) and probably an ounce or two of a contrast color (CC.)

Abreviations Used: ch = chain, lp = loop, sl st = slip stitch, st = stitch, dc = double crochet, rnd = round, rep = repeat, sk = skip, wk = work, hdc = half double crochet, dec = decrease, inc = increase, ldc = linked double crochet, FPtr = front post treble crochet, cFPtr = crossed front post treble crochet, MC = main color, CC = contrast color.

Gauge: On 2nd round, the crown should be about 4" in diameter.

Note 1: When joining a round, slip stitch into top link of beginning chain of the row, make the next begining chain, and work the first stitch of the round in the same stitch, unless otherwise instructed.

Note 2: When working rounds 1 and 9, don't stitch into the chain below, but rather around the chain below, inserting your hook into the hole below the chain.

Note 3: For color changes, on some you'll want to strand (carry yarn across the wrong side while using the other color of yarn, until you switch back), on others you'll want to clip the yarn and weave the end. On the rounds where you should strand, it will say (strand CC/MC) at the end. On the rounds where you should clip, it will say (clip CC/MC).

Note 4: Mark the first stitch in rounds 5 (especially), 8, and 15, or you might end up losing track of it.

Note 5: When joining colors, pull the slip stitch (with which all color changes in this pattern are made) tight, and don't count it as a stitch on the next round.

Note 6: (Many thanks to dennymare for testing the pattern and finding this!) On the first few rounds, the number at the end of the line reflects the only the number of dc. So on the second round, it's 27 dc plus the chain of 3. If you were counting the chain as a dc, it would be 28... but you're not so don't. ;)

START PATTERN WITH LARGER HOOK. (Thanks to Kathy aka crochetfun for pointing out that I should point that out!)

To Begin: ch 3 with MC, sl st to join.

Rnd 1: ch 3, wk 13 dc into ring, sl st in ch 3 to join.

Rnd 2: ch 3, dc 1 in same st, dc 2 in each st in rnd (27 dc), sl st to join.

Rnd 3: ch 3, dc 1 in same st, *dc 1 in next st, dc 2 in next st. Rep from * to complete rnd (41 dc), sl st in ch 3 to join.

Rnd 4: ch 3, dc 1 in same st, * dc 1 in next 2 sts, dc 2 in next st. Rep from * to complete rnd (55 dc), sl st in ch 3 to join.

Rnd 5: *sc 1 in next st, hdc 1 in next st, dc 3 in next st to inc, hdc 1 in next st, sc 1 in next st, sl st 1 in next st. Rep from * to complete rnd, finishing on sl st. Join CC in next st with sl st, pulling both yarns tight. (strand MC)

Note: Do not chain for round 5, and treat the joining slip stitch as the first stitch of the round.

Rnd 6: ch 3, dc 2 in same st, *hdc 1 in next st, sc 1 in next st, sl st 1 in next 3 sts, sc 1 in next st, hdc 1 in next st, dc 3 in next st. Rep from * until you come to the last st (2nd to last should be hdc), then dc 1, sl st into ch 3, joining MC and the rnd. Pull sl st tight. (strand CC)

Rnd 7: ch 1, sc 1 in same st, sc 1 in next st and each st in rnd, sl st in ch 1 to join.

Rnd 8: ch 1, sc 1 in same st, *ch 2, sk 2 sts, sc in next st. Rep from * to complete rnd, sl st in ch 1, joining CC and rnd. (strand MC)

Rnd 9: ch 1, *sk sc on previous rnd, wk 2 sc in ch-2 space, rep from * to complete rnd, sl st in ch 1 to join MC and rnd. (clip CC)

Rnd 10: ch 2, hdc 1 in same st, hdc 1 in next st and each st in rnd, sl st in ch 2 to join.

Rnds 11-12: ch 3, dc 1 in same st, dc 1 in next st and each st in rnd, sl st in ch 3 to join.

Rnd 13: ch 3, dc 1 in same st, *dc dec 1 in next 2 sts, rep from * to complete rnd, join in ch 3 with sl st.

SWITCH TO SMALLER HOOK.

Rnd 14: ch 3, ldc in same st, ldc in next st and each st in rnd, sl st in ch 3 to join.

Rnd 15: ch 2, hdc in same st, hdc in next st and each st in rnd, sl st in ch 2 to join CC and rnd. (strand MC)

Rnd 16: ch 2, hdc in same st, hdc in each st in rnd, sl st in ch 2 to join rnd and MC. (strand CC)

Rnd 17: ch 3, dc in same st, dc in each st in rnd, sl st in ch 3 to join rnd and CC. (strand MC)

Rnd 18: ch 1, sc in same st, *sk 1 post and FPtr in next hdc post on rnd 16, FPtr in skipped rnd 16 hdc post to cross FPtr, sc in next st. Rep from * to complete rnd, placing final FPtr in ch 2 from rnd 16, sl st to join rnd and MC. (clip CC)

NOTE: Each cFPtr should cover only one round 17 dc post, so when you sc in the next stitch, you should be moving over only one stitch, not two. This will cause an increase with each cFPtr, which will be decreased on the last round.

Rnd 19: ch 2, hdc in same st, *hdc dec 1 in next 2 sts, hdc in next st. Rep from * to complete rnd, sl st in ch 2 to join.

Fasten off, weave in ends with yarn needle.

Tiggzie, thank you very much. I love that exclaimation, "Holy Hera!" That's a good one, I might have to try it.

Glad to hear it, TepperWear. :) I tried to make sure everything was crystal clear. Nothing like a confusing pattern to waste a perfectly good day, ya know what I mean?

Sunshine1977, I'm very pleased you like it! I'm sorry I can't say exactly what yarn that is. The main color is absolutely positively Red Heart Super Saver (8 oz. size) in 312 "Black." After some consideration I'm pretty sure the multi is another Coats & Clark yarn. I think it's probably one of these three:

Coats & Clark TLC Lustre #5989 "Jewel"

Coats & Clark Red Heart Classic 959 "Gemstone"

Coats & Clark Red Heart Super Saver 315 "Artist Print"

The swatch photos on the Coats & Clark website aren't very large, so I'm afraid I can't be any more sure about it than that. The texture is very soft (much softer than the Super Saver) and slightly shiny or shimmery, so if I had to venture a guess I'd say it was the "Jewel" Lustre. It might also be color 5976 "Polo."

It could also possibley be a Caron acrylic. I checked their website and some contenders are:

Caron Perfect Match 7411 "Evening Jewels Ombre"

Caron Simply Soft 2727 "Embroidery Print"

Caron Simply Soft 2725 "Paisley Print"

Caron Wintuk 3526 "Evening Jewels Ombre"

Anywho... you'd come pretty close with any of the yarns I listed. In any case it's a deep, slightly muted rainbow.

Unicorn37757, Rebecca, and Drew, thank you all so much!

Lunchbox, muchas gracias! I like that, very descriptive. Heheh... Jiffy Pop...

Faithpa76, I'm glad you like it! Heh... I didn't think anything I would come out with would be even a tad over anyone's head. :) That's probably the highest compliment you could give little ol' me. Thank you!

I made mine with thread and I had no problem with the pattern. Do you think that it should be made with acrylic instead - I was thinking cotton thread for the summer and went with a bigger hook, but now I will make the next with yarn

I made mine with thread and I had no problem with the pattern. Do you think that it should be made with acrylic instead - I was thinking cotton thread for the summer and went with a bigger hook, but now I will make the next with yarn

Dr-mom, wow! That is so great! :yay XD I'm so so so glad it came out. I'm so happy happy happy! :c9

I used acrylic because a) that's what I had and b) I fully intended to put it through unholy rigors when I made it. I intended mine to be very utilitarian and I have more faith in the durability of acrylic than cotton. Plus there's no danger of shrinkage.

But for summer, cotton would be more comfortable. If you want to use cotton yarn for your next, I say go for it.

Any chance I could see a photo of your cotton thread snood? I'm really curious! I never envisioned this hat in anything but worsted yarn. I understand if you can't or it's too much trouble, but if it isn't...

How did you manage the gauge?

I am trying a sport weight and can't reach 4 inches on round 2 for the life of me.

(3rd hook)

Thank you, thank you! My mom has been wanting me to make her one of these for work, but I haven't been able to find a good pattern for one. Yours is awesome.

Best,

Stacey

Kathy, you can't? Uh oh... How big a hook have you gone up to? Maybe you will have to double strand it after all... I really didn't think you'd have to, after I read the specs for the yarn... I'm sorry if I led you astray.

Stacey, glad you like it! :) Thank you very much!

Any chance I could see a photo of your cotton thread snood? I'm really curious! I never envisioned this hat in anything but worsted yarn. I understand if you can't or it's too much trouble, but if it isn't...

I have photos of my daughter in the snood but how do I post it here? I am new to this - thanks Pamela

I have photos of my daughter in the snood but how do I post it here? I am new to this - thanks Pamela

I sent you a private message, let me know if you need more help:)

Jessi, thank you! :) I hope your sister really enjoys it when it's finished.

Dr-mom, wow!!! Oh pardon me while I do a happy dance! Katiana is so pretty, and I love the way the snood looks on her! :D You chose such pretty colors. It looks like pastel rainbow and, like, a turquoise-seafoam green? Wonderful!! *rapturous* It's very, very satisfying to me to see someone else, somewhere else, wearing MY snood.

Vatonc1, thank you! :) I'm very glad you like it!

• 5 months later...

The Stupendumondomentulous...

WAVY GRAVY RASTA "TAM" SNOOD!

By Maryann Cummings

May, 2005

Use the finished product for whatever you like, but please don't redistribute the pattern! Thanks!

rasta.gif

The many uses of the Wavy Gravy Snood:

• Vegetable strainer

• Summer hairpart sunburn preventer

• Autumn/mild winter head warmer

• Bad hair day reverser

• Hiding place when pulled over by cop (no! Bad me!)

• Baret (looks surprisingly cute worn this way)

• Wet-hair-when-you-don't-have-time-to-dry holder & air drier

• Small shopping bag in a pinch

• Emergency money concealment

rotflol!!! I am soooloving the alternative uses for this! lol Thank you for taking the time to write all of this out. I am gonna try this one! I love all kinds of hats, especially since most of my hair decided to leave. LOL:think

• 3 months later...

Fabulous! And very different form anything of the sort I've seen. I showed this one to my girlfriend who immediately requested I make for her.

Thank you for posting this!

~Sarah

Archived