Organizing my stash?

For those of you who keep your yarn in large plastic bins, do you put them in plastic bags first? If so, what size, kind, do you like best (and where do you get them?)

Thanks!

Joan, whose yarn is taking over the house!

For those of you who keep your yarn in large plastic bins, do you put them in plastic bags first? If so, what size, kind, do you like best (and where do you get them?)

Thanks!

I keep a lot of my yarn in plastic tubs and I do keep some of the yarn in bags in the tubs. I use the basic plastic grocery bag and I usually keep yarn that is destined for a specific project in each bag. Scraps and other yarn with no specific purpose yet is loose in the tubs. I prefer to be able to see what's in there when I peek inside.

I keep my yarn in bins but I do not use plastic bags inside the bins...someday I would like to organize my bins by colors...doesn't that sound great! The mind is willing the body ....nay, nay!

Just started re-organizing my stash.... told my dh not to let me near a yarn store for a VERY long time. He just laughed. :lol

I have the ww acrylic sorted by color just in bins. The wools are together also just in the bins. If I have a whole bunch of a speciality yarn it's in a "zip lock" bag in the bin. Did that with the fun fur by color.

Almost done with the sorting........:hook

I organize mine in the clear bins, by color and also by type. I don't mix in the specialty yarns with the red heart, etc. I put specific projects in the clear ziploc bags and they sell gigantic ones at home depot! I also always put a smal card in the bag with yarn info and hook size. I will sometimes put things aside and come back to them later and I can't always remember what hook I was using! :think That tells you I probably have too many projects going on at one time!:hook

I have one large 42 (i thought it was a 36, but it's bigger) gallon tote that is my yarn-for-afghans storage. I have a few 20 gallon totes that are organizes according to what fiber (i.e. homespun, alpaca, cotton).

I also have a sheet of notebook paper taped to the side of the box that lists what brand, color, and quantity is in each box so that i don't have to dig to know what's in it.

Hi I store my yarn I most likely wont use for awhile in a space bag then put in the bottom on the bin. The other yarn I use the plastic bags our newspaper comes in. Sunday paper bags for the pounder yarns. Also in the bin you'll find a few wrapped in knee high nylons .

Brenda

I have smallish plastic containers and I put them in based on color and brand. I have a lot of Caron SS and the bright colors go in one bin and the darker go in another. I keep my cotton yarn in its own bin. I have a yarn tote from the fabric store that I keep most of my ongoing projects in (unless they're strewn about the house or in my carry along bag)! It's pretty easy to see what is in which container since you see either bright, dark, pastel, etc. through the plastic. I also have a hanging thing that works well. You can use a sweater hanger in a closet for yarn and it works great as well! They can take a lot of weight if you get a nice one...mine is from Target and it is made from cloth, not plastic because the plastic ones rip! They're only $13 and I would say they're easiest to keep yarn in if you want it to be accessible and you can sort different projects into the different 8 or so spots.

Wow, there are some very good ideas here. I told DH that I wanted to get one of those stackable bins so I could sort and color code if possible. Maybe during my 6 weeks of recuperating he may be more generous and help me out with all that.

I separate "full" skein yarn into tubs by fiber and sometimes brand (if I have enough like RH). I label each tub with what it contents because some of the tubs are not clear.

I keep all my scrap yarn (partial skeins and wound balls) in two tubs....one for natural fibers and one for synthetic. That way when I start in on a SCRAP project I don't have to wonder about the care instructions. Sometimes I put the scrap yarn into bags with a wrapper if the yarn takes very special care.

Archived