Holy cats! Ideas?

I was clearing out a spare bedroom to try to make it a more useful room. I started with two laundry baskets... I am having to make MANY trips with them FULL and OVERFLOWING with the yarn I had stashed in this room. :blush I really need so ideas that are FAST and use a ton of stashed yarn! I have all kinds, all colors, and no ideas! I am off to finish organizing in the ONE spot I am trying to contain yarn... then to :hook away!

Okay - fast ideas (and yes, the first one is the one dear to my heart):

1) make 6"x9" acrylic rectangles for The Handmade Afghans to Thank Our Armed Forces Project (www.rectangle6x9.org)

2) make scarves - you can always mix two different types of yarn to get a fun effect

3) make a corner to corner afghan - change colors when you run out or get bored of a color

4) make baby blankets - they can be colors other than "baby" colors. Give these to Project Linus or other organization

That's my list off the top of my head....... have fun :crocheting

Deborah S-A

If you have some Caron Simply Soft in your stash, you can make rectangles for Warm Up America. There's a Crochet Along (CAL) on another thread to help us win the contest.

In the meantime, find a new hiding spot!:devil

You can also make these rectangles out of any yarn, but Caron is sponsoring a contest if you use their Simply Soft and Crochetville is participating in that contest. I noticed you are in MN and I know that WUA will be at the Knit Out & Crochet event at the Mall of America in a couple of weeks. If you are going to that you can just take them with you and drop them off, or you can send them to the national organization.

Other ideas to use up scraps:

Make strips and then crochet those strips together to make afghans for donations.

Make hats, scarves, mittens for local charities

Donate some to local schools/daycares/girl scout troops.

Good luck! My stash seems to have been multiplying as well...don't know quite what to do with all the yarn, but I know I have to do SOMETHING!

Sara

Charity projects are great way to use up scrap yarn.

If you need to or want to use up your yarn fast, the fastest way to use up yarn: Scrap Afghan CAL this one uses 3 strands, any 3 strands, until you run out of one, then grab another one. Use a large hook. I suggest a double crochet stitch, basic and large enough to make up quickly. These can also be donated. I bet these could work for charity items too... Maybe a smaller ones for pets beds for charity, these are thick and nice... maybe one for children centers for the kids to lay on or take naps on...

Or you could even do 2 or 3 strand scarfs.

Scrumptious scraps afghan is a popular one...

Van Gogh's closet CAL is here

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=51096&highlight=van+gogh

The Stained Glass CAL is another good one for using up the yarn

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=41633&highlight=stained+glass

and this picture of the stained glass afghan might help. The one in the first post would not load for me for some reason.

http://members.aol.com/SAG55/stainglass.html

well, depending what you have in your stash...

*3 strand blanket.....so plush and warm

*snugglies for the animal shelter

*chemo caps

*canon for the warm up america squares that we have 2 threads for

*in the wish lists, sev folks are making friendship 'ghans and are trying to collect the squares from friends here

*yo yo's for angelfire's charity 'ghans

*get started on gifts for xmas presents

*afghans, lapghans etc to shelters

*could do some daisy squares for Krystal charity ghans

*lay under a pile of it and laugh gleefully at so many skeins ;)

have fun hookin'

Sandy

*lay under a pile of it and laugh gleefully at so many skeins ;)

Sandy

Love that idea:yes

:lol

Do you have any charity that is close to your heart or your family? You probably can find some organization that will take hand made items.

Other ideas

*rugs (great way to use up your scraps, I did 2 with several strands of yarn held together, one suggested verigated yarn)

*pillow covers

I also like the getting started on Christmas gifts early.

Cotton

*washclothes

*dischlothes

*cotton clothes for every other cleaning situation

*grocery bags

Maybe ask a friend or relative who has a birthday coming up and see if they want you to make them something and see if you can use some of your stash if not all of it.

Debbi

PS: Did you see todays Annies Attic free pattern TODAY. It's a baby one that takes 6 color (along with white) that take only 1 oz of each color. Great way to use up little bits of baby yarn. If you wanted, you could probably do a larger size one...

Oh that reminds me "Stripey" Blanket crochet-along has a link to a pattern for an afghan you can use all your colors!

If you want to donate any yarn, there's a woman here who is making afghans for a woman's shelter. It's kidget29 ~ she posted in the Recycling Center in the In Search Of section.

If you want to donate any yarn, there's a woman here who is making afghans for a woman's shelter. It's kidget29 ~ she posted in the Recycling Center in the In Search Of section.

That's another idea. There are lots of people here who need yarn to do charity projects.

Or maybe the for sale/trade section here. Maybe you could trade for patterns or other types of yarn you love.

Archived