Corn Yarn

Wow! That's amazing!

I probably better not ever try it since I'm allergic to corn, but that is really cool.

I'd seen some by Soutwest Trading company a while back. I haven't tried any, but it sounds cool. Something with the feel of cotton but lighter would be great for clothing items.

I bought some at the Fiber and Folk art Fair last summer. pretty neat stuff.

It wasn't this brand, but I really liked it. The woman from Iowa exhibiting the product told me about the process. It's cooked, mashed, made into pellets, spun like cotton candy and then made into yarn.

It was a bit pricey, but I enjoyed working with it. I made it into hats and donated them, so I don't know how it washed.

I think it's a neat idea. It gives us another source to have yarn from. And it gets away from the use of oil, which is used in making acrylics.

I like the concept.

:manyheart

There was an article in the latest Interweave Knits Crochet about Corn Yarn. I just flipped through it and hadn't read it yet. Now I need to go back and read it. Would definately love to try it! It's a little pricey for me but I would love to buy even one hank to see how it works and feels!

The real problem with this is that it is using a foodstuff for non-food usage. The real crunch commodity in this world is not Oil but Food. This is not a political statement but the fact is that most governments have chosen to go to a "from field to table" economy where we used to have stores of grains that would last for 3 years without another kernel ever being produced.

This may be made from Cow Corn (as it was called when I was a kid) but that also means that that food source is now reduced (the corn for the cattle and therefore the cattle.

We folks in North America tend to be very silly in the use of food.

It's 100 yards, I believe. I know it's buried on that page somewhere.

Very cool...and yet I find that I agree with darski in that using food for something other than eating disturbs me.

The real problem with this is that it is using a foodstuff for non-food usage. The real crunch commodity in this world is not Oil but Food. This is not a political statement but the fact is that most governments have chosen to go to a "from field to table" economy where we used to have stores of grains that would last for 3 years without another kernel ever being produced.

This may be made from Cow Corn (as it was called when I was a kid) but that also means that that food source is now reduced (the corn for the cattle and therefore the cattle.

We folks in North America tend to be very silly in the use of food.

I understand where you are coming from Darski, but coming from a farming family I don't agree. It's a renewable resource where as (from what we know) oil is not. Making yarn isn't pulling food off the table anymore than making ethanol is. It is actually keeping farms from going under.

I do agree that we need to up our grain storage, it is disturbing that so little is saved for lean years.

The colors are certainly gorgeous though, aren't they? I couldn't afford to buy a lot of the skeins to make a large item (e.g., a sweater or ghan), but maybe two skeins (if enough yardage is in 'em) to make a narrow scarf or a pair of socks...

PS: I found this knitter's review of one brand of corn yarn that is an interesting read. Now we need one of the crocheters at the 'Ville to use and rate one of these corn-y (sorry, couldn't resist - :blush) yarns!

I just finished reading that article in Interweave Crochet about alternative and eco-friendly yarns. I had no idea! There's one yarn that looks so soft, "creamy" and beautiful and it's 20% cotton and 80% MILK!! I am not kidding. I have no idea how they make it but I bet it's fascinating.

There was another one made from pineapple fibers--a vivid yellow color. It looked great, too. And another made from crustacean cells. The article said the crab shell yarn and also bamboo yarns are actually anti-bacterial.

I understand where you are coming from Darski, but coming from a farming family I don't agree. It's a renewable resource where as (from what we know) oil is not. Making yarn isn't pulling food off the table anymore than making ethanol is. It is actually keeping farms from going under.

I do agree that we need to up our grain storage, it is disturbing that so little is saved for lean years.

I had a post but it is not worth it so have fun y'all

My daughter just bought some and the one think to be careful of is that dye lot really matters. The shade differences were amazing. (It was this brand).

Archived