What to do with all of your old magazines

habbyworld

Here is what you do. Cut out all of the best bits. Get a sheet of A4 and stick them to both sides. Then get one of them juicy big fat folders with a wad of A4 plastic inserts in them. Put all of your of your sheets in there in some sort of order. Then put an index in the front. And there you have it. You own neat and tidy reference folder, that you can add to with ease and the pages wont get as danaged by being in the plastic sleves :)

Well, I`m in England. I`m guessing your in America. A4 is the most standard size paper we use in this country, i`m sure it`s the same size in america, you may call it something different. The size is 29.5cm x 21cm. And the plastic inserts feed from the top are the same. So your along the right lines.

A4 is the European equivalent of letterhead-size paper. Just the regular stuff you buy for your printer. A4 is slightly narrower and slightly taller. A terribly annoying difference when, like me, you function in both places. Why the US has a differenct standard from the rest of the whole world, I do not know. Do Canadians user letter-size or A4 paper?

A guillotine!!!!! :rofl:rofl We are boring in America!! We call it a paper cutter. I love guillotine better!!!!! :lol

I love your idea, and have used it for many years for patterns and magazine clips. I also take the magazine after I have taken out what I want and give them, or take them to the doctor's office and leave them for people to look at.

I like 'paper cutter/trimmer' better. Doesn't sound like someone is losing their head. :lol

I've been putting magazine pages in page protectors for years. I don't 'stick' them on a paper though because I sometimes take them out for the printing on the back side. Not to mention some of the glue or tape isn't archival safe.

I only do this with magazines like Woman's Day and Family Circle. I leave crochet magazines in tack. :)

I was wondering what you do when there is a great pattern on the other side of the page....would it be against the rules to make a photo copy for your own use???

I like this idea~using paper protectors!!! Saves alot more room then keeping all of the magazines!

mgf~:yay

I dont see the harm in making a photo copy it it`s for your own use. Although you could just put that whole page in the plastic sleeve if it has something useful on both sides. Would save alot of work and messing about, wouldn`t it.

Not sure if you could use a photocopy. But you could just put the whole page in a plastic sleeve. That way you can see both sides of it anyway.

EDIT. OOps, didn`t see that last post, thought it was deleted for some copyright reason. Didn`t see that it was on page 2 til i just put this post up

Tabs would help in labeling certain sections. Projects could be seperated in catagories such as Afghans, baby things, toys, household, etc.

I have a bunch of baby patterns in a binder right now and it helps when I want to pick out a project for charity.

The plastic sleeves are great. You can take the whole thing out of the binder, use it, and then put it back. Makes things portable.

:manyheart

I want to organize my patterns this year & get rid of some of my craft magazines. I am just starting to put some patterns in a binder using the clear page protectors. Mostly I've done internet patterns so far.

One problem is that most of my mags are crochet mags. I am "torn" .... I want to tear pages out of them but I also don't. I am not getting much use from my magazines because I don't keep a file of the patterns or what mag they are in but at the same time it seems a shame to tear patterns out because makes it difficult to pass them on to someone else or impossible to trade/sell. Even a magazine file wouldn't help much because I couldn't see the pictures without going into the magazine.

I am wrestling for a solution. Maybe donate those mags to the thrift store? I know I wouldn't mind paying .50 for a magazine that was missing a pattern or two as long as there were some left to use LOL! But 99% of my pattern magazines are just taking up space because I have no idea what's in them, except every few months when I sit down & browse through them looking for ideas.

I go thru the magazine and put a post-it note or page marker note on the pages that have patterns I might want to use. Then I write on them "scarf" "baby", etc. Stack the magazines in a magazine holder or put them in a binder and you can easily glance to see what might interest you in the magazine. As my tastes for crocheting change, I will go thru and re-post-it note the patterns I now like.

I use the page protectors, have been for years then I get three ringed binders seperate by category and put it in the binder. This is my attempt at orginization..

I want to organize my patterns this year & get rid of some of my craft magazines. I am just starting to put some patterns in a binder using the clear page protectors. Mostly I've done internet patterns so far.

One problem is that most of my mags are crochet mags. I am "torn" .... I want to tear pages out of them but I also don't. I am not getting much use from my magazines because I don't keep a file of the patterns or what mag they are in but at the same time it seems a shame to tear patterns out because makes it difficult to pass them on to someone else or impossible to trade/sell. Even a magazine file wouldn't help much because I couldn't see the pictures without going into the magazine.

I am wrestling for a solution. Maybe donate those mags to the thrift store? I know I wouldn't mind paying .50 for a magazine that was missing a pattern or two as long as there were some left to use LOL! But 99% of my pattern magazines are just taking up space because I have no idea what's in them, except every few months when I sit down & browse through them looking for ideas.

This has given me some ideas i never thought of. You could always photocopy the patterns for your own use, providing there is not a copyright, and you can print patterns off the internet too, that would give you a good folder full of patterns, i never thought of that. I have seen some patterns i would like to do, but didn`t really want to be sat infront of the pc doing them...Thanks for enlightining me. :clap

Kazily...you mentioned that you were torn because you didnt want to remove your useful patterns because it would be too hard to sell/give away the un kept ones ..But truth be told on any given day there are thousands of single patterns "removed from books or magazines" sold on ebay. And people do buy them (Im one of them). So I wouldnt worry too much about just removing the ones you want to keep. I doubt if you would have any problems getting rid of the unwanted leftovers.

• 3 months later...

patterns always go in and out of fashion, so one day that pattern might be rubbish, and the next day some one famous could bring the style back and and everyone might go crazy for that pattern. Then again, there is always looking for old and new patterns, i`m sure some people collect them.

A4 is the European equivalent of letterhead-size paper. Just the regular stuff you buy for your printer. A4 is slightly narrower and slightly taller. A terribly annoying difference when, like me, you function in both places. Why the US has a differenct standard from the rest of the whole world, I do not know. Do Canadians user letter-size or A4 paper?

I use both A4 and American standard letterhead size...I just have to remember when filling the printer to use one or the other...(the printer doesn't like that and will give an error message...) I get the American size from the military PX.

• 3 weeks later...

At the moment I have two plastic crates (from the office supply store) that I use for my printed internet patterns. One for crocheting & one for knitting & other stuff. I use hanging file folders with categories for these. I keep up with these pretty good, but the edges of the patterns are all getting wrinkled badly.

I do what someone else said for the mags & books; I have post-its hanging out of the books. This doesn't work well for me. I also have a Word list of all the mags I have, but I haven't kept this up like I should & will have to completely redo it.

Recently my DD did me a "favor" by rearranging my bookshelf with all the crochet books, mags & leaflets. I had basic catagories that are now completely gone. I'm gonna have to completely redo it. Oh, well, she had very good intentions, but wish she'd asked me first.

I need some better system for the mags to be able to find things. I never remember which pattern in in which publication & I end up spending so much unnecessary time looking for patterns. My favorite mag collections are the Mon Tricot & the Magic Crochet. I refer to the M.T. very often for things to make & ideas. I never remember ever seeing one of these until a woman in a group I'm in brought me 10 of them & asked if I'd like them because her sister had them, didn't crochet & didn't want to throw them out. I was thrilled!

Archived