Crochet Stitch that looks like knit stitch?

I think that depends on how quickly you crochet and knit. I'm a little more slow at the Tunisian knit stitch because I've only used it once (when I took Kim's class on here last month). But with more practice, I'd get faster. I've been knitting some scarves for vets recently and my knitting and purling now zoom along. The Tunisian creates a thicker, stiffer fabric than knitting does, however, so consider that for your purpose. Patty

Oh, thanks so much.. I guess I 'll try it and see how I get along, if I don't move along quickly, I'll just knit it up. I was just trying to get something done quickly, seeing as Christmas is right around the corner :eek

thanks everyone!

n

Tunisian knit stitch looks like knitting, but does feel or drape like knitting--the fabric is much heavier as Desert pointed out. That being said, Tunisian in general is fun to do. I've done a scarf and a couple of caps with it. I toyed with an afghan, but the extended cable hooks hurt my wrists. Small squares might work (I don't have the patience to join them, but you might). Good luck with your project.

The Tunisian stitch (afghan stitch) looks like a knit stitch, but I learned a stitch from Crochet Kim from her "Sunday Best" sweater pattern that also looks knitted, and it's such an easy stitch to do! It's known as a short single crochet, and when you've done a few rows of it, the one side of the piece looks like single crochet, but the other side looks for all the world like it's knitted!

Elle

The Tunisian stitch (afghan stitch) looks like a knit stitch, but I learned a stitch from Crochet Kim from her "Sunday Best" sweater pattern that also looks knitted, and it's such an easy stitch to do! It's known as a short single crochet, and when you've done a few rows of it, the one side of the piece looks like single crochet, but the other side looks for all the world like it's knitted!

Elle

Thank you, Elle! I like that stitch combination as well. I've used it in several designs. Not only does it really resemble knit, it even drapes like knit. :hook

Kim - do you have any other patterns that use that stitch? My brother is the only man in my life, and sadly, he is super picky about his sweaters and cannot have ANY pattern to them at all. And with my bustline, I don't need to draw any more attention to my chestal region, lol!

There is a book entitled From Knit to Crochet.

It gives you knitted patterns and then shows you ways to crochet that pattern to look similar. There are even patterns that I like much better as crocheted than knitted.

Good luck :U

There is a book entitled From Knit to Crochet.

It gives you knitted patterns and then shows you ways to crochet that pattern to look similar. There are even patterns that I like much better as crocheted than knitted.

Is that the Bobbie Matela one? It has horrible reviews on Amazon...did you find it to be worth the $$$?

That would be the Afghan stitches-- afghan :crochetingcrocheting there are so many stitches on the web for the afghan stitch* I don't remember all the names there are lots of afghan stitches.., but then there is Camel :crochetingCrocheting--lots of different stitches for that one too. I love Camel Stitches Crocheting..If you are wanting to make somthing in time for christmas using these stitches, I say pot holder or costers at this point.

sunnywolfgar

Pam,

Im at work so I dont know who wrote the Knit to Crochet book. I didnt spend a lot to get it, though it was a while ago and I dont remember that either - sorry.

I havent used it to transcribe anything from a knit pattern to a crochet one. Im no where that skilled yet, but I did find some ideas from the crochet patterns that I used a few months back.

To me it was an "idea" book, and when Im having a block, it serves to jiggle stuff around.

Kim - do you have any other patterns that use that stitch? My brother is the only man in my life, and sadly, he is super picky about his sweaters and cannot have ANY pattern to them at all. And with my bustline, I don't need to draw any more attention to my chestal region, lol!

I have done several designs using that stitch combination. Since you are on Ravelry as well, you can see them in my designs. My ID is crochetkim. For anyone wanting to see other designs, you can see my published designs at: http://www.crochetkim.com/designs.html and the designs I have available on my websites, linked below. The designs that come to mind that use this stitch combination are Friendship Sweaters (alias His and Hers Sweaters), Side to Side Sweater, Spring Pullover and Sunday Best Sweater.

How does one DO the Short Single Crochet stitch? I've searched on-line and can't find anything...

First, remember to stay loose. If you tend to crochet tightly, you'll want to increase your hook size. The Short Single Crochet is nothing more than a single crochet. The difference is where you place your hook in order to pull up your first loop. While looking at the back of the single crochet, usually the first loop you see is the Front Loop. However, just under it is another horizontal bar. You will insert your hook from bottom to top under that lower, more difficult to see, horizontal bar. Yarn over, pull up a loop, yarn over and pull through 2 loops on hook. This stitch can also be seen in the Camel Crochet books. But, I don't call it that because of the trademarked name. I always call it a Short Single Crochet.

I use this stitch in combination with another to get that knit look. I don't feel comfortable with giving you the entire stitch combination. But, I can't get into any trouble giving you the stitch instructions. :hook

Archived