Filets

Does anyone out there do filets? I have never actually tried this but have a pattern that calls for 38 squares by 44 rows. I'm thinking that it can't be that difficult to do and the size seems small but I'm wondering if this is more complicated then I'm aware. Also, I assume you use crochet thread. What kind and size would you recommend as well as the hook size? I think I'll start this project after the holidays but would love any input.

I've done fillet in worsted weight yarn to make a shawl (if you're too timid like me to try thread first). It was easy to pick up. You've just got to pay attention and 'fill in' the right squares with DC and chain across the open ones.

I started learning filet this weekend with a book I got through eBay. It's very simple to do once you get the hang of handling thread and a small hook. I'm using a size 10 thread and a size 7 hook and like the results very much.

Hi I want to learn filet crochet also and I have been asking around where I can get a book to learn it. Can you tell me the name of your filet crochet book. Thanks and Hugs :hug

Hi I want to learn filet crochet also and I have been asking around where I can get a book to learn it. Can you tell me the name of your filet crochet book. Thanks and Hugs :hug

Hi, sure!! My filet crochet book is called 'The Filet Crochet Book' by Chris Rankin. I got it on eBay....alibris.com also sells used books and so does Amazon.

I had searched through some old threads here at the ville and noticed that several people recommended the book. It's easy to understand. The only gripe I have about the book is that she doesn't recommend a thread and hook size for each project, but tells you to do test pieces with several sizes of thread. This seems like a huge waste of time to me. Anyway, I just picked a project and chose size 10 thread and a size 7 hook....that's what most people here said is a good beginner's combination.

Have fun!!!

Hi, sure!! My filet crochet book is called 'The Filet Crochet Book' by Chris Rankin. I got it on eBay....alibris.com also sells used books and so does Amazon.

I had searched through some old threads here at the ville and noticed that several people recommended the book. It's easy to understand. The only gripe I have about the book is that she doesn't recommend a thread and hook size for each project, but tells you to do test pieces with several sizes of thread. This seems like a huge waste of time to me. Anyway, I just picked a project and chose size 10 thread and a size 7 hook....that's what most people here said is a good beginner's combination.

Have fun!!!

Thank you so much I also went on about.com and they had a beginners drangonfly design to follow along with the chart and written instruction. Until I get that book I will try to do the dragonfly filet crochet. Hugs :manyheart

:hug

Sandi Marshall has some good information on filet at About dot com

http://crochet.about.com/library/weekly/aa050298.htm

She also has some nice patterns as well.

Thank you for this site I made copies of everything I needed and I am going to start out with her lesson on the dragonfly filet pattern. I also ordered The Filet Crochet Book by Chris Rankin that someone on this thread recommended. I also found out that this book is out of print but Amazon has a few used copies of them and that is where I brought mines from. Hugs:hug

I am so glad I saw this thread. I too am looking into starting a filet crochet project. I have been looking on the internet and really like the smart crochet link. I have a book that I picked up on Annie's Attic that is afghans using ww yarn that I am going to try.

Does anyone out there do filets? I have never actually tried this but have a pattern that calls for 38 squares by 44 rows. I'm thinking that it can't be that difficult to do and the size seems small but I'm wondering if this is more complicated then I'm aware. Also, I assume you use crochet thread. What kind and size would you recommend as well as the hook size? I think I'll start this project after the holidays but would love any input.

I tried my first filet experiment the other day. It was a square that had a heart in it. I did two versions, one had the heart as the solid part and the other one had the heart as the openwork part, and I loved them BOTH! I bought a pattern called Herald Angel to do as a banner for my friend, the angel collector, for Christmas, so I wanted to do something small to get my feet wet before attempting the large project, and I really had a great time doing it!

For me, the best part about filet is that as complicated as it looks, it goes very quickly! I did my test squares in knitting worsted weight yarn, but I am going to use a #10 thread for the banner. I read somewhere (probably in one of the threads here) that filet comes out best if you use either thread or cotton yarn, because the fuzzier yarns detract from the pattern. You want clean lines in filet, not a lot of frizz in the spaces of the openwork.

Good luck! It's always fun to try new and different techniques!

Elle

I'm taking the Ville's Filet for Beginners class taught by Katchkan. From my limited experience, filet isn't hard. It just takes a lot of concentration with limited interruptions. Smart Crochet has a good tutorial.

I also found it helpful to mark the chart with an L (left to right) or an R (right to left) along the grid so I know at a glance which way I'm supposed to read the line.

I'm taking the Ville's Filet for Beginners class taught by Katchkan.

Hi Laurie are you in the middle of taking the class now??? How is it taking online crochet classes? Do you know when or if she will be giving another beginners class in filet crochet??? Sorry about all the questions but I love the fact that you can crochet a picture just by crocheting open or filled meshes. A Lot of questions run through my mind about filet crocheting and I have no one to direct my questions too. I am reading all that I can find on line about it and that's all I can do at the moment. Hugs :manyheart

Archived