Question about winter hats...

Down here on the Gulf Coast it rarely gets cold enough to wear winter hats. I've started making one for someone in the colder climes though, and I have a question about the final fitting.

:wgrin

Do most folks prefer them to fit snugly across the crown of their head, or with a bit of open space at the top, kinda like the hat in the smilie, above. The pattern I'm using calls for x number of rows before the pattern changes for the brim. I've still got about 3 rows to go before I get to that point and right now it fits snugly over my head, down a little across my forehead, and just covers my ears. I'm going to add rows for an up-turned brim once it's the "right" size. If I add the additional 3 rows the hat won't fit snugly across the crown...it will be looser across the top.

Is there a preferred style?

On a related matter...Do chemo patients prefer the caps snug against their heads? So if I'm using the same pattern for chemo caps, I may want to make it snugger?

For us in the colder climes, snug is better than loose, if only because with cold tends to come wind. I personally like a wide brim on my hat (not a turned up one) because then when it's snowing it doesn't get in my face. My husband likes the turned up ones because the brim doesn't get in his way then. :shrug

Living in the COLD winters of Iowa, I and my family LOVE the close fitting ones, long enough to cover your ears, because you know you loose most of your body heat through your head, no kidding, thats a fact !

Now one also who has recently gone through chemo, a soft hat is nice, and I myself dont like too "airy" ones, then people see, well they are RUDE and look too see if you have any hair under your hat...and I had blotches of hair,lol. But it did make my upset that people are so rude, who would have thought??? But soft yarns for them, a friend here on the vile made me a wonderfuly soft one with this baby alpaca yarn, with a matching scarf, so it was so soft and cool looking, no one would know I was " HIdding" under it...

so just my two cents for you....for the beanie..there is a pattern here at the Ville one of our friends made up

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=38728&highlight=beanie

I have made MANY of these for my boys and their friends! Good luck!!

I like and need a hat that works so it has to cover my ears as well.

I also like some style to mine so i tend to make the bucket style hats with a brim and usually a flower trim... I wouldn't do the trim for a boy though :rofl

Wonderful advice everyone!:ty Unless I hear otherwise I'm going to stop at this row and add the brim. I love my Crochetville family. :manyheart

Archived