Topsy Turvy Doll in Thread/Floss

laughlovehook

I got the pattern for the Topsy Turvy Doll as a raok and have finished my first doll. :hug FGM you know who you are!

I present you: Summer, The watermelon princess!

th_2036769658_0038a4a4a6.jpgth_2036802980_17064c18a2_m.jpg

Ok so the specs:

Finished doll is about 6 inches to top of bun.

Skin is made in natural size 10 thread with my Boye 8 hook

Dress and hair are made in 6 strand embroidery floss with my Boye 6 hook

Eyes and mouth are 1 strand of the floss and sewing needle

Summer has a twin, who will stay unfinished for a while because I don't like how the dress size/shape turned out. It looks funny when turned to this side. I love the coloring, and how the design came out with the variegated floss. But somehow it came out smaller :no So for now, it will stay 'flipped' to Summer. *pictures are clickable*

th_2035125585_46a758f106_m.jpg

Very cute. I was wondering how that would look in thread. Now I know. Thanks, and I do think she looks like a watermelon.:hook

I'm not one for thread... at all! But I found a quart size bag full of 6-strand floss and at the same moment saw my pattern for this doll. It felt "meant to be" :lol Now.... I'M ADDICTED!!! I bought 30 more "skeins" of floss today to make more of these this weekend. Since they should go faster now that I know what I'm doing.

Oh, I've always wanted a topsy turvy doll. When I was 5, I immigrated from Germany on an ocean liner and the gift shop had those dolls for sale. My parents were too poor to buy me one and I've been intrigued by them ever since. I guess it's time I made one for myself! Yours is turning out great and I can't wait to see the finished product.

aww... beautiful work!

I had a cinderella topsy-turvy doll when I was a little girl... one side was her in "rags" the other side was in her ballgown.

I think you have inspired me to make one for my niece!

thank you for sharing - and the watermelon for summer idea is so sweet!

Hope you can finish the other side soon and share it.

Archived