Question

Hey,

I'm a college student and I don't have much money and I love to crochet... So, my question is, does anyone know where I can get some free yarn? Thanks for any replies in advance!

freecycle. I believe it's a yahoo group. And with situations like yours someone in your area may be willing to give it away free.

If you want, choose projects that take a long time. When I have almost no money, I did doilies. They took forever and it was $2 for a ball of yarn and I could do a doily or two. And they made great gifts and for $2 out of my pocket wasn't bad at all, but with the time involved and skill it was worth way more then $2.

Also check out your dollar stores. Check Every Dollar Store For Yarn they have some yarn.

And don't forget yard sales. My aunt found me some there before. And like said above, second hand stores.

Coupons. Check your paper for coupons. A lot talk of Joanns (not one near me and no ads because of that) or Micheals. And check those sales too.

Debbi

freecycle. I believe it's a yahoo group. And with situations like yours someone in your area may be willing to give it away free.

Coupons. Check your paper for coupons. A lot talk of Joanns (not one near me and no ads because of that) or Micheals. And check those sales too.

Debbi

Freecycle is a great source, and yes, it is a yahoo group. You can sign up for your area and people will post what they're giving away. Keep an eye out for yarn and respond quickly.

I don't have a Joanns near me either, but you can shop their online store at www.joann.com and they always have a sale going and coupons for extra savings or free shipping. And I believe you get free shipping on your first order as well.

Welcome to the addiction! :hook

Again, cheap but not free. If there's an AC Moore near you, they usually have a bin full of one pound packages of mill end acrylic yarns. These seem to be mostly sport weight and reasonably soft, but the color selection is very limited.

I also recommend freecycle. I check my locals listing every day, but I have not found yarn yet. I have found other great stuff though. Try flea markets and yard sales too. I have heard some people have good luck with Craig's List.

Good Luck:cheer

I was going to say freecycle too, I posted there over the summer asking for yarn and got a reply immediately, it was some great stuff too, course I've already used almost all of it :lol

Is there a local church that does charity work? If you like working in a group, you may find that as a resource for yarn.

My group meets once a week at the parish center and we are constantly getting donations of yarn given to us to make things for others. It's a way to feed your yarn addiction and help others.

:manyheart

Hey,

I'm a college student and I don't have much money and I love to crochet... So, my question is, does anyone know where I can get some free yarn? Thanks for any replies in advance!

Not usually "free" but close to it... Garage, Rummage and Estate sales!

You can sometimes get a big bag or box full of someone's de-stash for $1 or 2.

And don't overlook places like BigLots or the Dollar stores!

AND you can sell some of your work to classmates and on ETSY!

Freecycle is wonderful, make sure you read the rules (with some groups you have to post something to give away before you can post a want) but I have posted wants on occasion and always either got yarn, pattern books or an email with info on who to contact in the area who might have something I need.

Also find out if you have a Michael's, ACMoore or Joann's nearby and signup online with them, you can get coupons. I don't care for Michael's much since the store here doesn't have much selection, but their 40% off coupons come in handy. ACmoore's mill ends bags are cheap if you have the coupon too.

Everyone's suggestions are worth looking into. I know I can't afford much of anything right now, but I save up what little I can and go shopping with my acmoore coupon when I need something. Also once you've been here 60 days you can participate in the swaps which I just did my first one (the fall yarn swap) and can't wait to get my package. To me it is worth the money requred to spend on someone else knowing you are making their day and you get a little something for yourself too (especially great if you have little $ and feel bad if you spend it on yourself;) ).

Archived