Do You "Doodle" in crochet?

I do. By "doodle" I mean just pick up a ball of thread or yarn and a hook and work a few rows of stitches. Sometimes I'm trying to learn a new stitch. Sometimes I try out a new granny motif with no real project in mind. Lately I've taken to combining one strand of yarn with a strand of thread to see how that works. Doodling helps me decide on color combinations.

Usually, when I've finished doodling I frog what I've done and that's that. Nothing's wasted, even the time, because I've let my mind play with the possibilities.

Doodling really helps me when I find I'm getting bored on a project and need to take a little time off. I doodle for a while, then I can get back to the project somewhat refreshed.

So.....do you doodle? :D

I doodle too - usually when I'm watching TV and I'm bored with the project I'm working on... I'll pick up a hook and some yarn and just play around for a bit.

BTW, my name is Lucie as well - I don't often "see" someone with the same name, spelled the same way.

Never really thought of it as doodling, but yes I've played with my yarn when I'm trying to figure out if a new pattern is worth the effort to make. I'll pick out yarn combos and play with the stitch pattern, etc. Easy to frog if I don't like it, and if I do, then I make a mental note about what I did for when I start the pattern for real. :)

Never really thought of it as doodling, but yes I've played with my yarn when I'm trying to figure out if a new pattern is worth the effort to make. I'll pick out yarn combos and play with the stitch pattern, etc. Easy to frog if I don't like it, and if I do, then I make a mental note about what I did for when I start the pattern for real. :)

THAT'S DOODLING! :lol

I guess you can say I doodle too. If I find a pattern I like and I'm not to sure if I can do it. I take some yarn and give it a try. If I can do that way, I go and get some good yarn and make it. Some times I will print out a pattern and see if I can do it.

I doodle too! I usually do it when I'm bored or see a pattern in book or mag that looks cool and I want to see how they do it. I even have my ball of "doodling" yan that I leave in my basket. I've found it is easy to use and shows the "doodle" stiches nicely, so I can see how the stich works. I just happen to like TLC Cotton Plus for my doodle yarn.

Didn't know if had a name!

Didn't know it had a name!

As far as I know, I just named it and until someone comes forward to claim it, I'm giving myself credit! :D

I do think it's a very appropriate name for that activity. Now, if someone walks up to us and asks "What are you working on?" Our answer can be:

"Nothing, just doodling!" That'll get 'em!

Maybe this is doodling too .... I test out new crochet hooks by making a simple sc swatch.

Yep, Ellen, you're a doodler too!

My DH was in the hospital this past week and I doodled a lot! Just couldn't get my mind on a project so just played around. Gave my mind something to focus on other than the reason we were there!

I doodle. I'll make a swatch for anything - new stitch, new hook, new yarn.... And sometimes I need a change from what I'm working on, and I'll put together a few rows of scrap yarn just to keep my hands busy.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived