Crochet tools I can't do without....

Let's see. My list is pretty simple. Other than hooks, yarn and pattern:

1. snips. The ones I'm using I got at Michael's, squeeze together into a round little thing with a cap. They pass through airport security and are plenty sharp enough for thread or yarn.

2. sitch markers. Currently I'm using some I was gifted as well as several that I made. The ones I made are on earing hoops that clip shut (not lobster claws, but earings). They're great because I have to pickup, put down and travel with my projects. I don't use them often, but when I need them, I need them.

3. tape measure. I just use a standard tape that I roll or fold up and toss in my bag. It's usefull for more than just crochetting.

4. plastic yarn needle. I didn't used to use one to weave in any ends I didn't work over. Once I started to, I can't live without it.

That's it, so, once you include pattern, yarn and hooks, it's less than 10 things I absolutly must have.

• 2 weeks later...
You may be very surprised to hear this lol: When i clicked on the link in your post, i instantly recognized the tool as something else lol. We have the EXACT same instrument at work (i work in surgery)! It's called a vein hook there, and we use it during surgery for varicose vein procedures. We use the hook end to 'hook' the veins we're working on.:lol

That is something!!! Does the opposite end have a "pick" point on it - cuz that is the key to this tool -- being able to poke holes with one end and then flip it to pull yarn with the hook end thru the hole - as in edgings and things!

Okay, I must not be doing something right. All I keep with me is the hook that I am using, the pattern (I photo copy the directions if it's from one of my hard bound books. Shhh, don't tell. *grin*) and one or two stitch markers. If it is an unsually long project, like an afghan, then I may use a stitch counter. This seems to be enough for me. I will have to remember to wax my hooks. I've never done that before, but I have noticed that some of my metal hooks don't slide as well as they used to. So I just switched to plastic or wood. Don't have any issues there. Yet.

You may be very surprised to hear this lol: When i clicked on the link in your post, i instantly recognized the tool as something else lol. We have the EXACT same instrument at work (i work in surgery)! It's called a vein hook there, and we use it during surgery for varicose vein procedures. We use the hook end to 'hook' the veins we're working on.

Heather, LPN

Oh Thanks Heather, I just took it off my wish list...:lol. I couldn't use it now because of the picture you planted in my head...And if it were red thread I would really get grossed out....

• 9 months later...

I often make do with what's around—a knot if I don't have Elmer's or Fray Check and a yarn's splitting. Paper clips. My hair (formerly one of my cat's favorite toys).

I also use scissors (want to get another seam ripper, though), dressmaker's tape (more versatile than a ruler), and one of my acrylic crochet purses as a tote. I might have a hook a few sizes smaller than the one I'm working with in the bag as well, for hiding yarn ends. If I might need a stitch holder or something, a few plastic-coated paper clips get tossed in the tote.

If I'm designing a pattern, add a notebook for me to write down what I'm doing as I'm doing it, pen, calculator, lead pencil (wood ones irritate my skin), and graph paper. I tend to leave that work at home, though. :)

I have a plastic toolbox to keep my tools in, and a pouch for my hooks (though the pouch was designed for steel hooks and therefore I should probably make one to fit the hooks I have).

If I am on a trip or vacation that is going to last more than a day, I take all my tools that were listed. For a quicky, like a wait in a Drs. office, or a long ride, I will only have my pattern, yarn, hook, small scissors and rectractable tape measure/ or ruler for squares.

I keep several things at hand!!! :blush

I have a pencil cup for hooks (all of my faves are in it)

My computer

The phone (it always rings)

yarn

pattern on a clipboard

highlighter, pen and pencil

the tv remote

row counters

stitch markers

caculator

aleve

my gingher sissors

I have a magnet for quiling that I keep all of my needles on ( I could not live with out this)

a glass nail file never gets dull and wipes off

I also put a little tag on the bottom of all of my projects. On it i write what hook it is, what pattern and the yarn colors and dye lot for it. then I never forget what I am doing.

I also keep a drink and snacks (kids love that)

Currently my kitty thins she needs to be by me all the time too.:manyheart

• 3 weeks later...

WOW - what lists! I have to take notes here!! lol

I have my hooks in pencil cases...

In my project bag is one case that comes with me always... it has hooks B-I in it along with a small pair of scissors, large safety pins (for markers), 2 plastic yarn needles and a pen. My pattern (if it's from a large book, I, too, photocopy it to bring with), at least one extra skein (or 2-3 if using balls or small skeins) of yarn if I get "stuck" out lol, my IPod and headphones, a snack and bottle of water, almost always something chocolate and gum, an Ace wrist band and a book or crossword puzzle book to take a break with.

I have to try the whole wax thing too though!

I just recently bought a pack of "yarn darners" from wal-mart. they are metal, and amazing for weaving in ends. before, I just used those silly plastic yarn needles, but what a difference these things make! I made the flower garden scarf, from the happy hooker book and wow, it was great! I bought some before, but lost right away. (I made the scarf in just one color, instead of 3. post pics later.

My MUST HAVES! All contained in my Orange Project Bag!

-Retractable Tape Measure

-Hooks in their hook case

-Safety Pins (stitch markers!)

-Small Scissors

-Patterns (usually about 5!)

-Notebook and 2 pens (because you always lose one!)

-Gauge Ruler

-Post-its

-And of course! YARN!!!

In addition to things people have said...

My needle case has a magnet on the back, so if I know I'll be using the needle again in a few minutes, I'll stick it to the magnet instead of putting it away.

Carabiner clips for holding small squares (my quiltghan saltines). You know, the mountain climbing ones you see everywhere now?

And this bag. Love it. It has a line of elastic loops that are perfect for my pencil, hook, carabiner clip, small scissors, and nail file. The large section came with a divider, but I picked out the stitches and took that out to make it one big section. I can easily fit three or four Simply Soft skeins in there, as well as my pattern book.

I don't have that many tools that I use on a regular basis but I have some favs that are always with me.

Measuring Tape (one of the ones in the round plastic that zip back in at the push of a button)

Needle to weave in all those :angry ends

Stich counter because I use it to count my rows on blankets so I don't have to keep recounting them

Scissors

Stitch Markers

I keep my hooks in a zippered eyeglass case and it works wonderfully and realistically all the above would fit in it too, but I usually am not that together.

In addition to things people have said...

My needle case has a magnet on the back, so if I know I'll be using the needle again in a few minutes, I'll stick it to the magnet instead of putting it away.

That is a brillant idea! I have some magnets with sticky stuff on the back and I'm going to be adding one to something for that purpose. Genius.

• 2 years later...

My tools:

case for hooks, containing about 20 hooks (3 of which are H), a small pair of scissors, three yarn needles, and some various small knitting tools (I attempted teaching myself knitting).

large storage ottoman for holding a bunch of yarn and projects in the living room and keeping it out of sight when I'm not using it. (Although right now, the ottoman is full, there are 2 projects sitting on top of it, and two other projects covering the coffee table.. yeah it's Christmas project time!)

when traveling, I have a crocheted 'black hole' bag that holds a ton of stuff. My mom makes the bags. The one I have I've been able to fit two partially finished lapghans, my crochet case, several skeins of yarn, a book or two, plus more.

large storage ottoman for holding a bunch of yarn and projects in the living room and keeping it out of sight when I'm not using it. (Although right now, the ottoman is full, there are 2 projects sitting on top of it, and two other projects covering the coffee table.. yeah it's Christmas project time!)

Oh I hear ya!!! My love seat has afghan project on it and dining table has doilies waiting for blocking and packages waiting to be wrapped. While one of the dining chairs has basket with things needing some sewing (buttons, trims etc to complete some gifts).

okay these are my favorite tools. My nightstand that holds half my wip. My end table that holds my other wip. My other end table that holds my hooks and scissors. My glass dish that holds my yarn needles. My tote that holds what i have left of my yarn. And my yarn ball winder which is no more fun because i have no yarn left to wind. And all my undone projects that i havnt touched in a couple of days because im waiting for dog to have puppies.

• 4 months later...

Archived