Everyday Crochet by Doris Chan

sarasara

Maybe this is a bit early - the book was just released yesterday...I'm wondering if anyone has had a chance to look through this book yet. It is on the top of my wish list, but I'd love to see some reviews before shelling out the dough. Anyone have an opinion on this one yet?

Thanks! :hook

I just pre-ordered it yesterday.... Oh, I guess that's "Ordered" now, not pre, I didn't realize..... I'll let you know when I get mine!!! :cheer (delivery "estimate" Oct 1-5)

I saw it and Positively Crochet on Tuesday at my local Borders. LOVED IT! Just beautiful, like Amazing Crochet. It's definitely on my Christmas list. Each section was divided into things like vests, jackets, tops, wraps, etc. I also loved the article about her in Interweave Crochet, this fall's issue. It sure looks like a keeper to me!

I got mine but as most of you know I am pretty honest when it comes to book reviews. I think the book is "OK" only because it seems like all the patterns use the same stitches, shells. What I mean is one pattern will be short sleeved and then the next will be exactly the same thing except long sleeves or just shorter length wise. This is not to say that you can't learn something from it, how to crochet in one piece, I just thought there would be more of a variety of stitches.

I love my copy and can't wait to make several of the items. Though I agree with Crochetqueen too. I thought it would be more different things instead of themes on an item. But I still love it and feel it was more than worth the purchase price.

Melissa

I had a coupon and a gift card for Borders so I picked it up this weekend. I really loved the patterns and even discovered I had some yarn in my stash to make a couple of the items. Even my daughter liked a lot of the items and she is really picky. :clap

Patricia

Golden CO

Got it yesterday and LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!!! I am such a Doris Chan fanatic and I am thrilled with this book. By the way, did I say I LOVE IT!!!!

I'm very critical about crochet books and rarely ever order one sight unseen! However, I saw a review of some of the projects and decided to order not just Everyday Crochet, but Positively Crochet and Crochet in No Time. I received them in the mail today and just finished looking through them. I love all of them, but especially the Doris Chan Everyday Crochet and Positively Crochet by Mary Jane Hall. I think the designs in each of these books are ones that I will make and wear. I will be reviewing some of the projects on my blog soon.

Yep... I like it. Several things in there I want to make. Several attractive tops that I don't necessarily want to make right now, but I do really like.

I looked at this at the bookstore the other day, and I like the designs, and the fact that larger sizes are included. Has anyone made anything from the book in the large sizes yet? I'd love to hear how they turned out.

• 2 weeks later...

I am NOT a novice crocheter but am really having trouble with the way the directions are presented in this book. I am stuck on the yoke of the cinnabar sweater (which is also the base for the Mei Mei and the bed jacket). I also attempted the Galina unsuccessfully.

Anyway, my question is...does the yoke have 4 corners or 5? Does the center back count as a corner since the increase v is worked there?

Should the yoke look symmetrical? On row 3 (I think) of the 45 size there is a direction to skip a shell (which doesn't appear to be mirrored on the other side).

I am working Doris Chan's sweater from the latest Interweave Crochet successfully but that is worked in the round and is very easy to see the pattern forming and the increases are clearly labelled.

I have not attempted to make this sweater but on page 68, Under the size 45 it does have a note that says *Inc at four corners and at center back neck as follows* so in my mind that means you have a total of 5.

Eva

My second attempt on the cinnabar yoke has been more successful...

Should the yoke look symmetrical? On row 3 (I think) of the 45 size there is a direction to skip a shell (which doesn't appear to be mirrored on the other side).

The direction to skip a shell was skipping making one not skipping working into one...that's what confused me. It was not row 3, but rather row 1 or 2.

The directions are not completely hopeless, you just have to place all the markers and move them from row to row. If you do not mark your corners (and hence the center back), it is hopeless to know where to put the increases on subsequent rows.

I would really like to know if I'm supposed to have a point at my center back on the finished yoke. You get a corner there if you treat it as an increase row on all appropriate rounds.

One weakness in the directions I found was how to handle the stitches labeled as increase corners once you had converted from the yoke and joined the underarms...The pattern is clearly supposed to alternate between V's and shells, and I had to add extra V's to get mine to alternate correctly once I had joined the underarms (and stopped increasing as directed).

Thanks for posting about the confusing instructions - it helps to find out how you solved the problem! I'm still debating whether to buy this book - and the discussion here will certainly be helpful if I do. :)

I don't know if this will help any, but I was reading an article over at crochetme.com about the making of one of Doris' sweaters from the book. And Doris posted a fairly long comment near the bottom of this page. The person was making a different sweater, but perhaps some of Doris' comments have relevance.

Just a thought....

• 2 weeks later...

I am on row 5 of the jewel sweater, size 51. There is an increase in the middle of the back on row 2 only. I do not think you should have a "corner" in the middle of the back. Just continue in the shell pattern after the one row that has the increase-shell in the mid back.

I have been reading the directions out loud and writing them out, but feel that I am getting the hang of it. I have been working on it for a few hours and have only had to rip out where i did make a corner at the back, then noticed that did not look right! The directions definitely take some thought. i really like the way the shaping looks in the photos, so the effort hopefully is worth it ;)

The posts on Crochetme are very interesting.

I wish I had more time to check out my favorite crochet sites for these kinds of questions about my books and designs. I am so pleased that many are attempting to crochet stuff from Everyday Crochet. Really, once you get the hang of the construction, you should get through it.

The point of the book was to present a few basic garments and show different things you can do to them to suit yourself. The introduction to the book tells about why I chose to do these designs using variations of shells.

I appreciate how crocheters here are helping each other figure out the wonky bits. I lurk here occasionally, but if I don't catch your questions and comments, please feel free to send a private message through this board.

Yours,

Doris

Archived