Everyday Crochet by Doris Chan

sarasara

Oh, and BTW, the reason there may be an extra corner increase in the center back (for one time only) for your size is because:

--- Shaping the raglan shoulder using pattern stitches limits you to a certain progression of increases at each of the four corners. To make the body larger also means you make the armhole/sleeve larger at the same time. In order to maintain human proportions, some sizes have to get bigger in the body to a greater extent than in the arm, and it has to happen somewhere. Starting with a bigger neck would be an option. I do make the necklines of plus sizes a few stitches longer and perhaps a few rows/rounds lower. However, there is a limit to how much you can do this. The most attractive solution was to create increases in the center back and a matching one somewhere in the front, usually at the joining or shaping of the front neck.

---YES to marking your increase corners. If this is not made clear enough in the instructions, please try using a length of contrast yarn for a wrapped marker. Flip the end back and forth across the rows as you go, creating a dotted line through the corner. That way you can see where you've been! And can see where you should be going in case you miss wrapping the marker.

Hope this helps :D

Yours,

Doris

Doris, thank you so much for your input! :clap And major thanks for your offer to receive a private message!

I haven't worked on the sweater too much today...But I can see the progression and am in a section where a row is repeated, am just proceeding in the established "rhythm" and don't have to look at the directions. It seems to be one of those things that is easier to do than to understand in words, for me at least.

I really like the page describing the "special stitches" for the sweater, and all the info in the front of the book.

An update on the Jewel sweater--I have worked it to below the bust,, where you now just repeat rows to desired length. It fits great! I did use the short rows at the bust, which I have never done before, and that worked quite well. I neglected to turn on a row right after joining the underarm, so there is one section where I can see a difference in the shells. I was able to get gauge with Caron Simply Soft and an I hook, though I had to use a J hook to get gauge for the foundation sc.

This was basically an experiment to work with the raglan increases and the different shaping in the patterns. I have used most of 2 skeins of yarn so far, and used up all the color I started with. I don't plan to continue this particular project, but will probably wait til after Christmas projects are done to get some really nice yarn, and make one of the v-neck patterns for myself. i think I'll keep this sample for reference, then when I get a completed sweater, I'll rip this out and use the yarn for something else.

I really enjoyed doing this, because it was challenging to me. I had to really think about what i was doing, and FOLLOW the directions, and LOOK at what I was making. Definitely one of the most interesting crochet experiences I have had in many years. And then when I put it on and it FITS :cheer:c9

Thank you, Doris, for the great designs!

• 3 weeks later...

I've finally ordered my copy of the book - an early Christmas present to myself! ;) I'm really interested in trying the new patterns and love the idea of using shell stitches to achieve a lovely drape. :hook Thanks to everyone who responded and to Doris for her helpful comments. :clap

• 4 weeks later...

I got the book today! The patterns in it are so nice. I'm going to make Mei-Mei for my granddaughter. Has anyone made that one yet? She's only 13 so I'm wondering if I make it the smallest size and use a smaller hook if it would come out right. I'll start it and see how it looks.

I'm almost finished with it! I'm on the bolero shaping right now. As soon as it's finished I'll take pics and post them. I love this book. There are so many patterns in it that I want to make.

Archived