yarn winder recommendations?

Auntcut

I have the Royal, though I didn't get it on ebay. I looked around and most of the places I order yarn or roving had the Royal (at various prices, anywhere from $25 to $40). :)

Woo! I love the thing. Now, if only I had smaller dowels to put in the center for thread...

Does it work on thread as well as yarn? :think

Yes, but the center that it sits on is a little wide so when you wind thread on it, you end up with a huge hole in the middle, of course. It's not that bad, it just looks funny unless you wind it onto a toilet paper roll or something. :)

Now, if only I had smaller dowels to put in the center for thread...

Yeah, I wish mine did too. If you wind the thread pretty tightly though it will make for a smaller hole when you take it off the winder.

Yeah, I wish mine did too. If you wind the thread pretty tightly though it will make for a smaller hole when you take it off the winder.

The funny thing was that DH was playing with the yarn winder when he saw it on my desk (him, "ohh, a tool, good idea") and one of the first things he said was, "so, are there different sized center dowels you can pop in?" Aaaaaaah! :)

Drat, I missed it. Do they stock them in their brick and mortars? Think I'll call a few.

Me neither, but I gave it a shot a called...nope. But, I looked again and found it. :clap And thanks to Jessica, I got it at 50% off. :cheer

I've been so bad this week...first I ordered a booklet and some yarn from Herrschners, then a TOTC hook, now this. Can I blame it on being sick? :sick

Yay, my yarn winder is on its merry way! Hubster thinks it's the silliest thing ever, but oh well!

Yay, my yarn winder is on its merry way! Hubster thinks it's the silliest thing ever, but oh well!

You wait, once it arrives he'll think it's great! A tool to do all the work -- what a good idea! :)

My DH thought mine was really cool and other people's SOs (and kids!) like to wind their yarn for them, so you wait until it arrives... nothing silly about it.

[plus you can point out that your yarn will take up less space once it's all wound up... ;) Or not mention it and just buy new yarn to take up the new space you have!! :devil ]

I attached mine to my coffee table, so every time my daughter or husband sit down to watch TV, they feel compelled to wind yarn! I think I've only used it once since I got it, but I have probably 8 skeins wound already. I love it!:cheer

WOW!! I didn't know there was such a thing! But I DEFINITELY get tired of having my string get all knotted it that "critical stage" where you're all must done a skein and if you move-all the yarn that's left turns into a giant knot. The hubby would certainly approve of this purchase. Thank goodness my b-day is in less than a week!

Does Joann's still have them for 50% off?

Yea, it came today! After taking a while to find a surface to clamp it to (kitchen counter and table were too big, living room coffee table is off-limits, when clamped to the table in the den table it kept coming loose and throwing yarn everywhere), I'm happily winding away. Preston, however, hates it; he barks like crazy when I use it!

I'm happily winding away. Preston, however, hates it; he barks like crazy when I use it!

Maybe he thinks you'll wind his tail next? :dog :lol

Preston, however, hates it; he barks like crazy when I use it!

Heh! My boxer Ginger barks and growls at it, too. :) My pug doesn't mind, though. :)

Archived