What's a good cotton yarn?

I was wondering what a good cotton yarn would be? I have never worked with cotton but want to make my sister Afghan and she is alergic to just about everthing but cotton. I know it will make it heavy to be cotton but she lives where it gets really cold so it would keep her warm. Any suggestions for easy to work with cotton yarns? Thanks!

Lion Cotton comes in many shades, but if you think your sister may be sensitive to the dyes used to color cotton, there are naturally colored organic cottons. They are expensive, so an afghan would be pretty costly, but it may be the best option if she is that sensitive to chemicals.

I really, really, like the new Lion CottonEase, however, I think that it would make a heavy blanket. I have made baby blankets from Bernat CottonTots and I agree it is very nice. I'm not sure why I like the Cotton Ease more than the Lily sugar n' Cream, maybe it seems softer in my hands than the Lily. I think also, the CottonEase is not 100% cotton, I think it has some acrylic in it. check the label first if you want 100% cotton.

Lion Organic Cotton is YUMMY, but it would cost a big fortune (not to mention alot of trouble tying ends) with those teeny little hanks. I reserve that yarn for facial washcloths.

It's interesting that you would post about cotton, because I'm making my first foray into using cotton to crochet something...I bought a cone of Peaches and Cream on a whim and so far there is definitely a difference in crocheting with it as opposed to yarn. I find that I have to really ease up on my tension or the cotton gets twisty and doesnt slide easily over the hook. I don't have a preference for brands yet but the Peaches and Cream was nice and cheap and seems soft so if it works out I'd buy it again. There aren't very many colors but I like the "natural" color of the cotton.

NOW...do I have to roll the cone into a ball like I do with the usual skeins of yarn? It slides off the cone so nicely that I'd like to keep it on there.

have you seen mary jo's (tampa dolls) september bag? if you have not you need to check it out. she uses peaches n cream (i believe) and her september bag color is the brown white and pink and its beautiful. you could probably make a nice blanket with all those colors. i am sure if you pm her she will share the link to where she buys all her cotton!

and there are a couple people on here that have made all cotton afghans and they came out great!

good luck

I find when using the cones it is best to keep it on there unless you need to be more portable. TLC makes a nice cotton blend as well but it can be hard to find. AC Moore's used to carry it but I think it depends on the individual store. Hope that helps.

I like Cottontots, too, and the organic cottons. I love Blue Sky Organic Cotton. Lion Brand and Bernat also have organic cottons, but I haven't used those. Be sure to compare prices if you go with the organics. This is one of those cases where the discount store brands -- Lion Brand and Bernat -- are (slightly) more expensive per yard than the Blue Sky, LYS brand.

This is a loaded question. It is like cars, it is what you like.

I have used Peachs and Cream, Sugar and Cream, Cotton Tots and Lion Brand Organic along with the regulay Lion Brand cotton.

If you are looking for just cotton, I would go with the PNC or the SNC. I prefer the Peaches and Cream, I find it softer then the Sugar andCream.

You do have to watch your tension, inother words, you can let up on how tight you hold your yarn.

Here is the web site for Peaches and Cream.

http://www.elmore-pisgah.com/

One bit of advice, don't go by the feel when it is in the ball. As you work with the cotton, I find anyway, it softens up.

Check out the free patterns while you are there, and you will be surprised what is made from it.:hook

I don't use any yarns with wool/silk/animal fibers so of course I use lots of cotton.

I am making an afghan using Rowan's Calmer and Cascade's Pima Tencel. Both are very soft and not that heavy. I just started a sweater from Melissa Leapman's Crochet with Style in Classic Elite's Premiere which is also pima/tencel.

The feel of the yarn is VERY important to me so I'm willing to spend a bit more, but I realize not every can/wants to do that.

For other projects (hat, baskets) I have used Berroco's Cotton Twist, but it wouldn't be good for an afghan imho. I did see Berroco has a new yarn out that felt nice but it's nylon and acrylic (don't know if your sister is allergic to either of those) and it was less expensive than some of the other yarns.

There is also Berroco's Touche - very soft. I was going to make this sweater out of that, but didn't find a color I LOVED :).

My LYS actually has a very selection of cotton/blend yarns which is great.

marillion

I'm working on a blanket for my sister in Lion Brand's Cottonease. It's nice and soft, and the blanket is turning out really nicely. I used some of it to make a preemie hat for a hat drive at my LYS, and THAT turned out great!

Thank you everyone. I went out and bought one sceen of seeral different brands yesterday to try them out and see what I like best. I ended up brining home 13 sceens all different. I figure I can always make face or dish cloths out of the ones I dont use so why not play a bit. Oh and thanks for mentioning the tension. I tend to crochet a bit tightly so I have noticed that can be a problem. I just go up a hook size or two and it seems to solve that problem for me. Thanks again everybody. I love Crochetville because I can always count on you! THANKS!

That's what I do! I bought about 8 skeins of different yarns before deciding on which one to use for this sweater. I don't remember how many I bought and tried out before starting the afghan. I figure I can always use the lone skeins for something, or even for testing another pattern.

marillion

Archived