OTT-LITE Quality?

I've always wanted an OTT-LITE, and now I have a little extra money to spend and a 50% off coupon for Jo-ann; also, I noticed the other day that Walmart carries an OTT-LITE in the craft department (much cheaper than Jo-ann, of course).

I went to Jo-ann's site today and it looks like they get lots of bad reviews for working a few times and then quitting; this is especially true of the one that looks similar to the one Walmart carries. This is such a big investment that I don't want to spend the money and get a lamp to only have it quit on me.

Does anyone here have any experience with these lights? Am I better off spending extra money on one of the more expensive ones rather than the cheaper ones?

Thanks,

Nicole

I have had a portable Ott-Lite and a floor model for several years. They are wonderful and I haven't even had to put in new bulbs. My daughter had a Walmart knock off that didn't hold up at all.

I have a few floor models (old leftovers from work) and they've all worked beautifully for the last few years, with only one bulb replacement. Considering that they were used when I got them, that's super. My Dad loves his and always reads by one. I use mine every night because it's on the floor next to my bed. I can't speak to the cheaper ones, as mine are the old sturdy industrial-ish ones.

I have had a small table model for several years and love it, I use it for hours everyday and never a problem with it, no glare and the colors are so much better than under normal lights and my patterns are much easier to read. So worth the money.

The one at Walmart is OTT-LITE brand, it just looks like one of the the cheaper models that Jo-Ann carries that has had really bad reviews. The reviews on various models keep saying the problem is bad ballisters. It seems like the more expensive models have better reviews, so maybe I'll do a little more research and buy a more expensive model. I could really use a good lamp.

I'm also a little worried because the lamp I have next to my crocheting space now is always burning out bulbs; I don't know if it is the lamp or the outlet, and I'm worried about frying a really expensive lamp.

I'm glad you guys have had good experiences with the brand though--it makes me feel a little better about it.

Nicole

I have a table model. You lift up the front and it comes on and close it to turn it off. I have had it for years and never replaced the bulb yet. I bought and extra bulb when I bought the light and now don't know where th extra bulb is :lol I got it at either Hobby Lobby, Michaels or an office supply store, I am not sure which.

If it wasn't for this light I would have to give up using black yarn all together.:(

Blondie

My mom has an OTT and she loves it. Bought it with a 50% off coupon too a while back. It is one of the floor types. I just bought another brand at Joanns. Even with the 40% off coupon I couldn't afford the OTT...I will be saving though! There were 2 that I really liked. Let us know which one you choose. I think I'd go with the Joanns!

I've had my floor stand Ott light for about 8 years now and I swear, I don't know what I would do without it! I use it all the time and I have only had to replace the bulb one time! In my opinion it is DEFINITELY worth the money!

I have a Walmart knock-off. Have had it for a few years. Paid $30 for it. Still working great except when dogs knocked it over and broke the bulb. Found an inexpensive replacement bulb at Home Depot.

Bevelry

I have 4 floor OTT lamps and 2 table lamps. I, too, bought them with 40% or 50% off coupons at Joann's or ACMoore. They ARE expensive but they are worth every penny. I have used my original lamp every night for more than 5 years and have replaced the bulb once. My girlfriend has the little flip desk model that she uses daily and she loves hers too. My daughters' boyfriend was driving by a consignment shop and saw a floor and table model outside. He stopped to check them out and they worked fine so he bought them for me because he knows I love them. Paid $20 for both, $15 for the floor model and $5 for the desk model!! The lady in the store said they had them for about a week and people didn't want them - they thought they were ugly. She was surprised because he was so happy to buy them! Well, they're loss was definately my gain. I couldn't crochet or read without these lamps. A coworked bought one for her husband because he suffers from that winter sunlight defiency problem (can't remember what it's called) and he uses his every night. Seems to help him with that too.

I've read quite a few bad reviews about OTT-LITES on different sites across the Internet, so I think I"m going to look into a different brand of full-spectrum, daylight lights. I'm glad all of you have had good experiences with them, but I'm still a little worried about it.

Thanks for all the input!

Nicole

I have 1 Walmart floor lamp Ott knockoff and LOVE it! I then found Big Lots had a sale for generic Ott lamps--$20 for the floor model and $15 for the table top. I bought 2 floor lamps and 1 table and LOVE those too! The Big Lots lamps EACH came with an EXTRA bulb, and if anyone has had to replace a bulb knows that the bulbs cost about $20! What a deal at Big Lots!!

Another post for Ott-lite! I love mine, and have had it for about a year now. I would definitely look at the ads, sometimes you can get them for more than half price. Mine is the Pharmacy lamp, and it retails for $239, I got it at Christmas time and it was $99. I also think it is worth every penny. I want to buy another one. You can't beat the quality and your stitches will just pop out at you!

I have 2 OTT lights, a table lamp and a portable. They work great. I even knocked the table model off the table, the light bulb flew across the room. Thankfully it didn't shatter, put it all back together and it is still working fine.

Archived