Unhappy with baby project...

I finished the All In One baby jumper from CPC for my niece that will be born on Friday (my sister-in-law is being induced). I followed the pattern exactly, but unless she ends up being a VERY tiny newborn, there's no way this thing will EVER fit her! Sigh.

All that work down the tubes. I'm embarassed to give it to my sister-in-law, even though it turned out REALLY cute. Even my hubby was impressed and he thinks I should give it to her. I just feel like a schmo because it is obviously too small and I don't have time to make a bigger one. I'm not even sure how I'd go about making a bigger one in the same pattern, because if I switch to a larger hook size, I think it will be too holey. Plus, I'm just bummed in general.

Anyhoo, any suggestions? Should I give it to her or not?

I am wondering if you are misjudging its size by the look of it...I see tiny new born babies and I can't imagine mine was ever that small...and at a healthy 8 1/2 pounds, she was bigger than average, but tiny nonetheless. I would give it to her and cross your fingers that it fits...cuz it just might. If it doesn't, no harm done, really. You could let her decide if she wants to keep it or have your frog it (which might be painful for you...I don't know)and make something else with it, perhaps a small blankie. I like to give small blankies to babies that aren't overwhelming and are just the right size for snuggling and carrying around :) - good luck with your decision tho...were it me, I'd give it and explain that while I am thinking it looks a little on the small side I'm hoping that it just may fit.

They're both right. It might just fit! I would probably buy a nice baby-safe doll or stuffed animal and put it in the outfit. I would tell her that I made it for the baby, but am afraid it's too small. If it fits, she gets an outfit and a toy. If it doesn't fit, the baby will have it to play with as she/he gets older, and your SIL will love it!

:cheer Congrats when the baby arrives.:cheer

I go along with the Dolly idea. There are some beautiful, Newborn baby dolls available now.

Then buy some slightly thicker yarn and make another baby jacket, in a 6 to 9mths size.

When my first son was born, he was very tiny and I made him a wee cardigan which fitted him beautifully, for only a couple of weeks, but it was nice to have something that actually fitted and did not look like he was swamped in clothing.

This could be the case with your niece, then the dolly could wear it too.

Have fun with your new niece.

Colleen:hug

Bummer!! But don't fret. Here's what I would do...buy a baby doll as a gift and dress her in the jumper. Explain to your sil what happened and tell her that now you'll make a matching jumper for your neice. Then (bear with me-- I'm way too sentimental) suggest that she takes a photo of her baby and the doll every month on the birth date number, wearing the matching outfits (for as long as the matching jumper fits her daughter). After a year she'll have a great way to see the growth changes in her daughter in comparison to the doll. The very special jumper you made will be remembered because it will be in very photo (and some photos will even have both the doll and little girl in the matching jumpers). Congratulations on the addition to your family!!!

I would say give it to her, and if its too small find her a pretty dolly to wear it or you could even crochet a doll for her too! I have toys that were in my babies cot in hospital . now the girls are older we still look at the photo's and the toys are precious! what a great keepsake you have made! :)

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Now my question is: where on earth do I buy a baby doll? I don't have any kids, and I have a nephew who's into cars and trucks, but DEFINITELY not baby dolls. They didn't have any at Walmart or Target.

Do craft stores carry baby dolls? If so, I guess I'll try Hobby Lobby or Michaels. Thanks again for your help!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Now my question is: where on earth do I buy a baby doll? I don't have any kids, and I have a nephew who's into cars and trucks, but DEFINITELY not baby dolls. They didn't have any at Walmart or Target.

Do craft stores carry baby dolls? If so, I guess I'll try Hobby Lobby or Michaels. Thanks again for your help!

I'm surprised that Wal-mart didn't have any! I've gotten dd several there. In any case, try ToysRus.

Remember it doesn't have to be a doll, but a plush teddy bear would work just as well. Also if they have a baby's r us, you will find infant/baby safe stuffed toys and dolls there.

Instead of baby yarn, you could use a light ww yarn, like Lion Brand Pound of Love. It is not as thick as some of the other ww yarns, and you can use 1-2 hook sizes larger. This might do the trick.

Is this her first baby? You can estimate the new baby by it's older siblings brith weight. My kids were all similar sizes (3 oz difference). DD even fit premie sizes for the first 2 months. My mom loves giving small newborn outfits because a lot of babies are swamped in newborn sizes when they first come home. It's nice to have something tiny that they actually fit at first.

As for dolls, WalMart should have them in what DH calls "the pink aisle." You'll know it when you see it. Toys R Us carries them too. If you can't find a doll, a bear would work too. Michaels should have dolls and other stuffed animals (bears, monkeys, etc).

Good luck to both you and the new mom.

I am wondering if you are misjudging its size by the look of it...

:lol I always do this when making baby blankets!! so i end up making toddler-sized ones instead...30x30 or even 36x36 just doesn't seem nearly big enough for ANYONE :lol

I agree that babies are very tiny. When Chloe was born, she weighed 7 lbs 4oz which is pretty normal for a full term baby. Preemie clothes were too big for her. So, I would give the outfit to her anyways. Even if its just a nice momento, it will still be cherished.

Archived