Reverse single

jldozer

Question

I've heard of these before but it's the first time that I've had a pattern that actually calls for them.

Does anyone have any sites bookmarked that have either good diagrams or video clips on how to do this stitch?

Thanks!

12 answers to this question

It is very easy, I use it as a finishing touch on a border all the time don't worry. I don't have a link for you, hopefully someone else does.

Basically when you crochet you are always working right to left. You insert your hook into the stitch to the left of the one you just completed. With a reverse SC just work left to right and always insert your hook into the stitch to the right of the one you just completed. Hopefully that makes some kind of sense. You are basically going in reverse of what you would normally do. Try a small test sample. I have faith in you.:hook

Here is a closeup of what it is supposed to look like, sorry it is a little blurry I had to crop the pic pretty close. I think you can get the jist of it.

http://s104.photobucket.com/albums/m190/crazycrochet/?action=view&current=closeuprc.jpg

Well, I've been practicing and I just don't get it :blush Ok, I get it but I don't think it looks like it should. Maybe I just need more practice.

However, I did find this blog which gives the instruction for a crab stitch that she got out of a Japanese book. Seems much easier to me. I can actually make this one look halfway decent. Now to try it on my blanket which might mean I have to add another round because it seems to look better on the back side. That is if I'm even doing it right.

Japanese Crab Stitch Instructions

Basically when you crochet you are always working right to left. You insert your hook into the stitch to the left of the one you just completed. With a reverse SC just work left to right and always insert your hook into the stitch to the right of the one you just completed. Hopefully that makes some kind of sense. You are basically going in reverse of what you would normally do.

As a lefthanded crocheter, my "normal" stitch is in reverse as I work from left to right. So would a lefthanded "reverse" stitch be right to left? I assume so but I'd like to hear from other lefties who have worked with this stitch. Thanks.

Well, I've been practicing and I just don't get it :blush Ok, I get it but I don't think it looks like it should. Maybe I just need more practice.

However, I did find this blog which gives the instruction for a crab stitch that she got out of a Japanese book. Seems much easier to me. I can actually make this one look halfway decent. Now to try it on my blanket which might mean I have to add another round because it seems to look better on the back side. That is if I'm even doing it right.

Japanese Crab Stitch Instructions

Thanks so much for that link! I have been struggling to make the crab stitch. I know how to do it in theory, but my stitches never looked right... they just looked like single crochet. Using the method above is much easier for me and gives that lovely, twisted rope design.

As a lefthanded crocheter, my "normal" stitch is in reverse as I work from left to right. So would a lefthanded "reverse" stitch be right to left? I assume so but I'd like to hear from other lefties who have worked with this stitch. Thanks.

Yes... that's correct. I'm a lefty also and reverse sc (aka crab stitch) goes from right to left.

Joan

Actually our normal stitches aren't reversed as we are still going forward with our work. True we got forward in the opposite direction of a right handed person. It's a reverse stitch when you work in the opposite direction than your normal with out turning the actual work.

Us lefties always go left to right normally and right to left on a reverse stitch. It's a neat stitch once you get the hang of it.

Archived