Desperately need help

Hello all out there. I have a problem. First - the background. Every month, on my dad's side, we have a family celebration for all of the birthdays, anniversarys in the month. Of course, they have a horrid habit of not making it known when until there's less than a week before it to rush out and deal with presents. The rush is because I never know what's in that month until they tell us the day and then my Grandma reminds dad of which things we're celebrating. So, today is Monday. We're celebrating on friday. There's only 2 birthdays this month, which is not too bad, and I figure I'll make a nice sketch book for my cousin's boyfriend. But the other one is a problem. It's my grandma's birthday. My grandparents have anything they want, Grandaddy (Grandma's dad) left his oil well and such to Grandma (his only child). I'm sure you get the idea. Which always makes buying her a present tedious and since I have little notice, I can't make anything too large as my time is limited by taking care of my DD. Grandma like southwestern style things and hummingbirds. I'm trying to come up with something I can make her in my limited time, but worry because my grandparents travel all over the US and buy things made by amazing craftsmen. My Grandmother is really wonderful and I wanted to make her something special. A shawl isn't really her thing. Thought about making her a bath/body type basket but it doesn't really fit. So here's where the plea comes in (after my long winded expanation) Can someone out there please help me come up with an idea?

I was thinking doily, too.

Or hot pads/pot holders.

On a side note regarding your monthly problem; get a card organizer or special days calender, similar to this:

http://www.hallmark.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10051&storeId=10001&partNumber=GLPR7079_DK&rank=P1R1S&searchValue=card+organizer

You fill out the birthdays/anniversaries for each month and then you can tell at a glance what's coming. It's like knowing Valentine's day is every Feb 14.

You'll be able to get ahead with your gift making/buying and not be in such a rush every month.

On a side note regarding your monthly problem; get a card organizer or special days calender, similar to this:

http://www.hallmark.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10051&storeId=10001&partNumber=GLPR7079_DK&rank=P1R1S&searchValue=card+organizer

You fill out the birthdays/anniversaries for each month and then you can tell at a glance what's coming. It's like knowing Valentine's day is every Feb 14.

You'll be able to get ahead with your gift making/buying and not be in such a rush every month.

I was going to suggest a calendar of sorts too. My friend gets a new calendar every year and last year sat in front of the TV going through her last years and writing down birthdays, etc., on the new one (no time lost, her DD's [and me] watching the movie with her).

I think a doily would be great. There are some simple ones out there you can do. She's probably appreciate it.

Maybe a nice (beaded) dressy hand bag? Something from one of the vintage sites from earlier by-gone days to remind her how young she can feel. With the nice yarns that might be an idea.

Debbi

My immediate idea, considering she travels a lot, buys crafts from pros, likes a style that's easy to get wrong (southwestern), is to buy her a really fine handkerchief and embroider her initials on it ... if there's time you could add a crochet edge.. Placed in a beautiful box it should make a great present that others won't duplicate. Plus, it'll be a constant reminder of your love for her.

I vote for a photo album or collage. My brother has done that for two years running for both our mom and gram and they both LOVE it. He lives in California, so we don't get to see him much. I suggest a 8" square or the like because it's small enough that she can travel with it and whip it out to show off the grandkids at any time. (A favorite past time of my Gram...)

Thank you all so much for the ideas. I would do the collage, but as I don't have any pics (multiple moves, plus current move being temorary, plus being in Ak for the 4 years before that) And a doily is out as I'm very very awkward with thread so it takes forever for me to do anything with it. I decided to do a purse for her in cotton royal (thick enough for a H hook) in a linen color (it's like white and tan twisted together). I used HDC so that the holes would be a little bigger and I'm lining it in turquoise to show through the holes. Got this great striped horn button for a closure. Origionally I was going to cross stitch Kokopelli's on the bottom but they wouldn't fit like I wanted. I'm hoping she'll like it. I'm almost done and it looks pretty good and rather southwestern. Thank you all again for the ideas.

:clap I like the purse idea too :clap

Don't worry about what she buys during her travels, she will love what you create even more!!

Don't forget to post a pic of it when your done...hehehe

Archived