Where to begin?

Falene

I was wondering what supplies a beginner would need to start practicing the art of thread crocheting? I was also wondering what type of pattern would be the best to start off with? I had read that perhaps a snowflake would be a good start.

I am a true beginner. I have not crocheted in over 25 years and am almost sure I remember nothing other than how to hold the hook. My budget is also very tight.

Is it practical to start off with thread crocheting or should I start with yarn first?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Fal :bee

I find I use mostly 2 hooks, the G for yarn and the 7 for thread.

Yarn I would think is better for a beginner, or someone who is getting back after a long absence, casue it is easier to handle than thread.

I would try something simple, like a dish cloth or a pot holder.

If you go thread, yes there are some snowflakes that are quite simple.

Here is the best place to look for patterns.

http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/index.php

Good luck in getting back. Oh yeah, you can change any pattern from yarn to thread very easy.:hook

I see no problem with starting with thread crochet, although I do suggest you choose size 10 or bedspread-weight thread, not the thinner threads.

SOME snowflake patterns might be okay to start on, but some are full of fussy picots and things that could frustrate a beginner.

My suggestion would be bookmarks for a first project. You'll find loads of patterns here:

http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/directory/bookmarks.php

If you're looking for doily patterns, projects that have 10-15 rounds are fairly quick to crochet and might be a good beginning project as well, depending on the stitches used. You can buy a ball of thread and a crochet hook for around $5, so it won't cost too much to get started, and one ball of thread will go a long way while you are making smaller projects.

Good luck! Hope you'll be able to post some pics of your projects, and I know you will find lots of help here if you need it.

IMHO :) I don't think it matters much - if you really like thread start off there! And I found when learning with thread it was great to get a small book of simple snowflake patterns - they are not too involved and you can make gifts as you learn. Just know that with thread your designs will not look like too much till laid out with pins and starched when done - this is called "blocking" - not hard.

With yarn most times you see what you want as you go and only a few things require blocking - mostly sweaters.

With the thread - do not start off with too small a steel hook - a 6 or bigger would be a good place.

Good luck and enjoy!

By all means start with thread if that is what you intend on doing!

I am speaking from experience. I actually learned to crochet with thread from the beginning. To this day I am an extremely accomplished thread crocheter and I love it. Of course I later moved on to yarn. The feeling of each is totally different, I was all thumbs at yarn when I first tried it. If you want to crochet in thread that is where you should start.

Yes, snowflakes are excellent patterns to begin with. You can usually get those patterns in charts which makes it so easy to see what you are doing. Also, filet patterns are pretty easy and don't require a lot of fancy stitches or confusing instructions. You can also follow charts for those.

Edgings and doilies are a little more complicated, but honestly once you make snowflakes, a doily is just a bigger version.

Contrary to what some people think, thread is NOT more difficult. In some ways it is actually easier because you don't have as much wrist motion manipulating the heavier yarn. Also....bonus....thread is cheaper!

Start with a high quality #10 thread. Please, don't even look at Aunt Lydia's crochet cotton! And pass on the shiny woven threads that will be slipping and sliding through your fingers. You want a nice, smooth mercerized cotton thread like Cebelia. Start with a #6 hook. (On a snowflake gauge doesn't matter so you can use whatever sizes you want).

Good luck, I'm sure you will love it. Come here for support and we'll help you get started.

If thread is what you want to do than by all means learn on thread, Though it sounds as if you already know how to crochet, but are just rusty at it. It's amazing how quickly it will all come back once you do pick up a hook and start in.

Book markers, coasters. snowflakes. are all great starting out projects.

Just pick patterns that have fairly simple stitches to begin with.

A ball of size 10 thread and a 6 or 7 hook and you are set for hours of enjoyment. I agree that a ball of good quality thread is well worth the investment.

I basicly learned with thread once I had been shown the basic stitches in yarn. I couldn't get moved over to thread fast enough as that is what attracted me to crochet. I don't mind yarn, but love thread.

We here will all be cheering for you. :cheer :cheer :cheer Best of luck :hook

Start with a high quality #10 thread. Please, don't even look at Aunt Lydia's crochet cotton! And pass on the shiny woven threads that will be slipping and sliding through your fingers. You want a nice, smooth mercerized cotton thread like Cebelia.

Wow, I really would like to know why you don't like Aunt Lydia's. I'm a new threadie, working on Katchkan's viceroy butterfly shawl with Aunt Lydia's thread. For future projects (if I attempt thread again) I'd like to go with a better thread. Aunt Lydia's feels a little funny to me.

Aunt Lydia's is a fine mid-range crochet cotton. Especially if you are making novelty pieces that are going to be starched anyway (snowflakes, ornaments, etc) then I would use it because it is cheaper.

But if I'm making any kind of an heirloom piece I want only the best thread which IMO is DMC Cebelia.

For a beginner I would recommend Cebelia because it is smoother and easier to work with. The cheaper cottons are a little rougher in comparison and don't give the beautiful results that are going to inspire a beginner to stick with it. Also, the DMC threads come in incredible colors. They are such a joy to work with, it is worth an extra $1-$2 or whatever to use such beautiful thread.

:cheer If I were you (not long ago I was :) ) I would restart with little thicker than size 10, it is called DMC Baroque, the label says size 10 , it holds about 400 yards and they are available at walmart for 1.99. So you dont have to spend alot of money till you feel you are back to thread crocheting again.

And I would start with square small filet project. It takes short time and makes me feel more comfortable to restart. Or basic round coaster type of doily 12-13 rounds.

I dont think the brand name is important to restart, any comfortable soft thread (size 10 ) is good ( it is my opinion)

ANd yes, we will be cheering:clap

Demet

I got comfortable with thread by making bookmarks. There are lots of free patterns around to try.

I now use #6 and #7 hooks very easily with #10 thread but when I started #10 thread seemed chunky with those small hooks. I used #4 and #5 when I started out and my bookmark looked fine.

• 2 weeks later...
By all means start with thread if that is what you intend on doing!

I am speaking from experience. I actually learned to crochet with thread from the beginning. To this day I am an extremely accomplished thread crocheter and I love it. Of course I later moved on to yarn. The feeling of each is totally different, I was all thumbs at yarn when I first tried it. If you want to crochet in thread that is where you should start.

I also taught myself on thread and a doily to boot, which I didn't find too difficult except for eye strain with smaller thread. There's a world of difference between thread and yarn (in my opinion) so give it a go, if you find it troublesome try yarn. Good luck! :cheer

• 2 weeks later...

One of my very first projects 35 years ago was a thread motif tablecloth -- size 10 thread using size 9 steel hook. I didn't know any better and just tried it. About 600 motifs. I learned to join as I went to avoid ends.

It came out very nice.

Archived