Can crochet hooks fly?

Have any of you had your crochet hooks confiscated by security while boarding a plane? I know calling the airlines doesn't work 'cause security has their own ideas about what they'll let onboard. I'll be flying between FL and AZ and I can't imagine :eek what I'll do if I can't crochet on the plane!!! My friend had her little sewing needle confiscated.:lol Somebody told me it depended on the airline (America West for me) and each individual security guard. I almost hate to risk it, but also hate not to!

Susan Rae

It does seem to be up to the security people at each airport, even though crochet hooks are supposedly on a list of okay items. It might depend on the type of hook. I can see a small steel hook being considered dangerous (Terrorist Posing as Crocheter Hijacks Plane!), :rofl

but one of the larger hooks, particularly if it's plastic, would probably get through.

This can be tricky, but print out the information here and take it with you. You can take hooks, but I wouldn't try to take anything metal because they can't see through it in the x-ray thingy.

Also, if you have something that you might think is questionable, take a pre-addressed, stamped envelope and mail it home. This way you won't have to have it confiscated, but you won't cause any problems with security if they decide to be jerks.

Take along plastic hooks. Crystallites are great. You can get them in most craft stores. I know Walmart & Michaels carry them. I've had no problems at all flying with them. Also, don't carry any size of scissors with your to cut yarn. (I've had tiny ones taken from me at the airport.) Get a yarn cutter pendant and wear it around your neck. When you go thru the xray, take off the pendant and put it in a basket along with your other things you are carrying. That way there won't be any secrets and they'll think it's just an odd necklace. :knit

Also, just in case, take along a self-addressed-stamped envelope that will fit your hooks/scissors/etc. That way if they do take away something of yours, you can have it shipped back to you and you won't lose it forever.

Good luck!

the best advice is to call the airline you are flying and ask...

Actually, the airline doesn't know. It's the TSA and it's dependent upon what airport, which security people you end up with, what sort of a mood they're in, etc. (I am totally not kidding here; sometimes one person at an airport will let you through with them while another person won't... )

The airline just tells you to call the airport and the airport tells you to bring a SASE or put it in your checked luggage. :)

Knitting needles are listed on the 'okay to bring in your carryon' list for conUS travel, but even so, sometimes the TSA don't feel like letting you on with them.

Thanks everybody! I went and got a pendant cutter and was debating wearing it or not. I printed off the TSA page listing crochet hooks as okay. Thanks for that link, I didn't know about it. The project I'm working on uses a #11 hook. Not only can I not find one in any material other than steel, I can't even find a 2nd one at all for backup in case mine is confiscated. Wal-Mart, JoAnn's and Village Crafts (that's a Michael's lite) don't carry that size. I'll have to ponder this some more. I don't want to take a yarn project, it'll take up too much room. So I prefer to stick with thread. I may get stuck reading a romance novel :scared horror of all horrors!Susan Rae

I just flew last week from Portland, OR to Sacramento, CA with a steel #10 and an aluminum N hook in my carryon. The screeners didn't even give my bag a second glance.

I know it always depends, but there's that for you.

We flew last month from KY to VA and had no problems. I had 2 skeins of sock yarn, 2 hooks, my pendant cutter, and an assortment of other items in there. I also had a very small needle in my bag. I sailed through without a second look into my bag. The TSA guys (yup the guys not the gals) commented along the way regarding my "Martha" poncho and how they liked it etc. My biggest hold up through the security area...my loafers had to be taken off and put on the x-ray machines.

I've never had a problem flying with my hooks. I bring the whole case of 'em. Needles, too (I bring the plastic ones on the plane). Just make sure you have either a yarn cutter pendant or very blunt scissors (I have a pair for kids with a round nose). I have flown American and United to/from Wichita, OKC, LAX, Dallas, Phoenix, and Denver with them. No problems to report.

I flew to England last year and had no problems with the crochet hooks, I believe I had plastic and metal. I did not take any cutting instruments, I didn't need them. When I flew to Maryland last month, I had a yarn cutting pendant and aluminum hooks and had no problems. I flew Northwest both times.

Everytime I see this thread, I get this vision of hooks with wings. I think my brain is mush. :P

Also, I've never had any trouble with my Crystallites. They've never even taken them out to look at them.

The best bet is to check the FAA website. When I left for England it said crochet hooks were ok and I took mine on board (Susan Bates metal) and they went through the x-ray machine fine. However, flying home from London a couple of weeks ago I had to remove my crochet hooks from my carry on and put them in my checked luggage. I'm flying back to England next week so I'll have to check again because it's an 11 1/2 hour flight! :eek I need my hooks! :hook

:frog

I would have gone stark raving mad if they had made me do that! I couldn't have done that flight with my 2 kids without something to distract me!

We flew from Florida to California and back last month, and I had all my crochet hooks plus yarn needles in my carryon. My hooks were all aluminum ones - G - K and an N, and I had a plastic Q. The yarn needles were plastic too. Didn't have any problems though. My mom saw someone else on the flight back crocheting too. We flew Delta...

Good luck!

Archived