Are shawls useful?

y per

I love shawls also. I have a raggy one that I bought very cheap at a yard sale. It has been everywhere with me. I know I should make myself one, but I am never on the list as priority.

Can anyone recommend a good pattern (easy)?

:manyheart

My personal favourite is still the half granny square triangle. it works up quickly and is easy to remember and can be any size and colours (or only one if you choose)

:blush

y per

My personal favourite is still the half granny square triangle. it works up quickly and is easy to remember and can be any size and colours (or only one if you choose)

howw do you do that my sister is going back to school this fall, I want to make her one, I started one my own design, but now that you mention this pattern i might be doing that :blush

I use mine around the house and when walking the dog if it is chilly. I prefer to keep my house cool in the winter and find that family members automatically pick up a shawl if they get cold, even my teenaged daughters.

Okay, here is the deal, I got in a swap, and my partner got lost, so I had rescue rangers, and by the way did I make out!, well, Vicki one of my RR's sent me a WONDERFUL green varigated shawl, now, A. I thought I didnt like green, didn't look good on me, was I WRONG, B, I thought shawls were "oldish" again WRONG! I LOVE this shawl she made me, now it is a light one for summer, so, I decided to make me a heavy shawl, I made one out of homespun, using my 40% coupons for Micheals, buying one skien a day, as hubby works at a hotel, thus I can get 7 coupons..lol.. okay so my best frind Amy shows up, oh she LOVES this shawl, can she PLEASE have it?!?!?! Well, she IS my best friend, I can make up another, and so I do, well here comes my best friend Amy on mothers day, to wish me a happy mothers day, and I asked her what she got her mom, well she hit a rough patch and had nothing, but a visit, so, here I go, I give her the SECOND shawl I made for me!!! CRAZY?? Yes, I am!! Ha ha ha ha

SO now, I decided, this is IT, I am going to make me a shawl and KEEP it, so to come up with the yarn, I thought of trading yarns, cause I am close to broke..:lol ...with yarn money anyways, aren't we all :think and a KIND member sent me homespun baby yarn in sunshine, yellows, it is LOVELY yarn, and I am ALMOST done, I want to say, here is the pattern I LOVE, it works for a "fluffy" gal like me. Instead of fringe, because I am not a fringy kinda gal, I work a shell boarder around it 5 times, and it is glorious! I will be done with this tommorow adn will post pics...

so making a short story LONG, I am god at that..:lol

YES YES YES make a shawl...

oh here is the link... and it is so much prettier in person than that picture, trust me, and you can use ANY type of yarn, just work up a couple swatches to get a guage/size your happy with

http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/60501A.html

by the way both my best friend Amy and her mom Kitty, wear there shawls EVERY day, and I never recieved so much satisfaction as giving them two away.

:blush

how do you do that my sister is going back to school this fall, I want to make her one, I started one my own design, but now that you mention this pattern i might be doing that :blush

this really is a neat and quick pattern to make

ch4 and join to form a ring.

Row 1: ch 3 2dc into ring, ch 2 3dc into ring. turn

Row 2. ch3, 2dc in same st,ch1, (3dc, ch 2, 3dc -corner shell) in ch 2 space, ch 1, 3 dc into last dc (this is actually a turning ch but you get the drift eh ?) Turn

Row 3: Ch 3, 2dc in same st, ch 1, work a 3dc shell in every ch 1 space and a corner shell in the corner space, end with 3dc in last dc of previous round. Turn

continue the pattern of shell in space and corner shells with a ch 1 between each grouping.

are the other 2 shawls that were mentioned several times in this thread pictured somewhere? Just curious. Thought it would be nice to see what you were talking about lol. Thanks

Don't have a shawl, but after all this talk, I'm thinking about making one!

Hello from a fanatic shawl lover!:manyheart

I have made warm ones for winter(and overly air conditioned places in the summer), and lighter, lacy ones for summer. Look at the Katchkan viceroy butterfly cal. I have made many , and have many circulating in my mind, waiting to materialize! (where to store all these?) Also made the butterfly shawl from knitting mag (it was a cal , too).

I agree, they are easy to throw on, and you can stuff it in your bag. They are so beautiful!

Zuzu

Hello from a fanatic shawl lover!:manyheart

I agree' date=' they are easy to throw on, and you can stuff it in your bag. They are so beautiful!

Zuzu[/quote']

I just love your screen name. That is my favourite movie. :dreaming

I just love your screen name. That is my favourite movie. :dreaming

Thank you, Darski! It is one of my favorite movies too! (know it by heart, of course!) I am an old movie fanatic. By the way, have you studied the crocheted lace around the neckline of Mary's dress in the last scenes?

Someday I want to re-create it!:manyheart

Zuzu

Thank you' date=' Darski! It is one of my favorite movies too! (know it by heart, of course!) I am an old movie fanatic. By the way, have you studied the crocheted lace around the neckline of Mary's dress in the last scenes?

Someday I want to re-create it!:manyheart

Zuzu[/quote']

I am guessing that it is a pattern of grapes or leaves. I'll have to keep an eye out for something similar and see if we can come up with a match between us.

I can remember when collars were very common for wearing over simple sweaters and such. ah well. :manyheart

I've been reading this thread with great interest - JoAnn, your story about how you eventually got to keep a shawl was heartwarming!

I made a shawl from the Stitch n Bitch Happy Hooker book - I think it was the Sweetpea Shawl. It's a shell sort of design and I found it was very easy to make - I made it in an Aran yarn - Storm Aran I think it was called - in a lovely teal colour.

Well ... I changed my style and stopped wearing hippy-ish clothes and so thought it wouldn't suit me any more and I've given it away to a friend!!

I'm now thinking that making another one would be a good idea! I like the idea of making lovely light wraps and shawls in kid silk mohair or something delicate like that - I'm losing weight at the moment and have another three stone to go so these dreams will be the treats for when I get there!!

Elaine x

I love them. I made one for my daughter and my late mother who just adored it and for my neighbor who is now in a nursing home. She's always cold.

I also have one...and I keep it on my bed...and when go up north to Vermont, I bring mine cuz the nights are cool there and it does the job.

So for me they're useful.

Never thought I was a shawl kind of girl myself, liked them, just never wore one. I was laid up in April with cracked ribs and took out the Lion Brand One Skein Half Moon shawl pattern and worked it up and fell in love with it. Recently I made one for my sister for an evening concert we were going to and I used 2 skeins in hers (same patter, just kept increasing) and she loved it, just perfect for a chilly summer night. I tried to make a Serphina, but kept goofing up:think I really love the look of that shawl.

I tried to make a Serphina, but kept goofing up:think I really love the look of that shawl.

I recommend trying Seraphina again!! It's a beautiful shawl!!!!

I'm with the "Yes" people.

I too sit under an AC vent at work all day. It seems to be an AC vent even in the winter. I have a wrap that I made from a modified hooded scarf pattern, it stays at work year round (I made it wider and stopped when I thought it was long enough and didn't sew up a hood...) I then made the same pattern out of that Joann's sensations bucale (can't spell) yarn... the soft one that gradually changes color... for my Gram for Christmas. She loves it! I just finished my shawl for the shawl CAL. I found a great fillet heart pattern in an old Crochet! mag and modified it for my mom. (She's short, so I left out a row of hearts.) It fits her perfectly. I didn't use fringe, but a shell edging, which is really pretty. She was sooo blown away by it, it made me really smile. I originally made it for her to keep at work too, since she's always cold and she had been drooling over the shawl a friend made for my wedding 2 years ago. She's going to wear it to my cousin's wedding in August she thinks it's that pretty! (I admit, I'm probably going to wear my own wedding shawl as my dress is sleeveless and the place will probalbly have good AC... we will be in the LA area....)

My shawl is also great for traveling. It's big enough to be a 'lapghan' or shoulder wrap on the airplane, but can just be shoved wherever.

I am guessing that it is a pattern of grapes or leaves. I'll have to keep an eye out for something similar and see if we can come up with a match between us.

I can remember when collars were very common for wearing over simple sweaters and such. ah well. :manyheart

I think the first thing is to make a dress with a deep v neckline, or a sweetheart neckline, and then make a template, and fill it in with Irish motifs. It actually may be lace.

It is definitely a "someday" plan!!!!!:yes:no

But it would be fun, wouldn't it?

Ok, I do have tons of Irish lace patterns! I can see leaves and flowers.

After Seeing All The Patterns For Shawls Recommended I Have Decided To Make My Mother One. She Is In Bad Health And Stays Cold And This Would Be Perfect. Now All I Have To Do Is Decide Which Of The Several Patterns And Which Pastel Color To Use Because She Loves All Of Them. Thanks To Everyone In Crochetville For All The Recommendations. This Is One Of The Best Groups Of People, Male And Female, That A Person Could Ever Want To Be A Part Of.

Archived