Rainbow Lorikeet

cupcake

The rainbow lorikeet is one of the noisy parrot family that visit my deck.

I have been designing a crochet one for a while now and here he is.

The full story of the rainbow lorikeet is on my blog. Like the budgie, the lorikeet is another one of our fabulous Australian Native birds.

img3093bc6.th.jpg

The pattern is listed at etsy.

I had fun with this one. thank you to both my testers and models!

img3105dn7.th.jpg

img1756mc1.th.jpg

I was one of the lucky people to test Cupcake's rainbow lorikeet pattern. They are one of the world's most colorful birds (native to Australia) and this pattern was a wonderful way to use some of my scraps.

I consider myself an advanced beginner and found this pattern easy to understand and complete. I highly recommend adding this pattern to your collection! What I like about Cupcake's patterns is that she also teaches you about the animal/bird so it becomes absolutely three-dimensional.

While you're visiting Cupcake's etsy shop, be sure to look (and buy) her other wonderful patterns for Australian wildlife, among other things. Cupcake's etsy shop is at http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=44224

2.jpg

1.jpg

Here is another person I can't say enough about! If you have never been to cupcakes site, you really need to! Her patterns are so lifelike. I use to think the only way to get fairly lifelike creatures was to knit, which I cannot do. I don't know how she can take a picture of something I have seen and make it so lifelike. Her patterns are well written and beautiful! Thank you so much cupcake for all your gorgeous patterns!

Linda

very cool cupcke! would have recognised it easily :D so bright and colourful too which is always a good thing

Hey, great bird !

These were a real pest at one place we stopped for lunch in Queensland, the tourist always fed them therefore they sat on our tables, on our heads, stole our food of our plates and even ratted some handbags.

We have something similar in WA called a 28 parrot and that is a real pain along with the pink and grey galahs. Beautiful looking birds that unfortunately love the fruit trees and have great pleasure in taking a peck out of each piece of fruit on the tree ruining it for everyone else.

What a great pattern! We only have those birds at the local zoo. You can go in and feed them at certain times. I've always thought they were so colorful and beautiful. Nice bird to capture in pattern, good work. :)

Just have to share a few pics from when my daughter, son in law and gradkids were visiting. We went to the zoo and they have Lorikeets and you can feed them. We had so much fun. I love the colorful little birds, they are fun to watch and hold, just have to watch out though, they do their duty on you very quickly, LOL.

The pattern is great, you sure captured their look

Pam

PANA0152.jpg

PANA0165.jpg

PANA0144.jpg

PANA0159.jpg

So pretty. What about a Toucan pattern? Anyone? Anyone?

Annie's Attic has a quirky toucan pattern. It's one of my WIPs. Of course Cupcake would do a much better job on creating a realistic toucan pattern. However, it's not an Australian native so I suspect it's on the back burner.

I have, however, gently asked Cupcake for a cockatiel design!

FYI, this is a Mollucan red lory .... it's not from Australia.

Thanks for the info, the zoo just has all the Lorikeet's/Lory's together, personally I don't know the difference, just that all of them in the display are so beautiful with the wide variety of colors.

Pam

i just love this one.

thought i'd toss a few other birds ideas for ya.

quaker parrot

lovebirds

I'd love to see those too, especially more lovebirds. But I think Cupcake is sticking with the multitude of native Aussie birds.....

I tested a lovebird pattern sometime ago for someone here on the 'Ville. You might want to do a search....

Thanks for the nice word. They are amazing zoo photos. I am always surprised at how cheeky they are.

I have a few things on my list - pelicans, kookaburras, and finches.

I never tire of looking at birds , particularly in the wild.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been RAOK'd by Cupcake! :c9 I tested her rainbow lorikeet pattern just for the pure joy of it!

In today's mail, not only did she send a thank you card for helping (with a smiling lorikeet on its cover), but she also sent a packet of blank native Australian parrots cards, a pen labeled "Australia" and, last but not least -- the most wonderful handmade threaded butterfly bookmark!

I'm so blown away by Cupcake's generosity and wanted everyone to know!

Archived